Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Vendor
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The car this was fitted to was Prototype Racing's K20A powered Lotus.

First chart.

Blue line: RSX K20A2 3.2 pulley 650 injectors toda headers CAI. VTEC 4000
Green line: K20A 11:5 CR 2.85 pulley 650 inj, custom header and intake. VTEC 3000. Prototype intercooler, Stock Lotus fuel pump.

Both run the same boost, but the intercooler reduces the boost by cooling the mixture and so must be sped up with a smaller pulley.

Power is steeply climbing at 8500 rpm. We predict 350hp at 9000 rpm easily. But - in this example we ran out of fuel pump. This engine needs to be built to rev to 9500 rpm.

It is obvious there is a lot more to come and that the efficiency peak of this supercharger / k20 engine has not been reached.

The boost curves for the above charts.

Now, compare the charts with one of the best turbos we have seen so far:

And the boost curves for the above charts. Red 'charger, blue turbo.

·
Vendor
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i VieTEC said:
Is the prototype intercooler for the JRSC? Can you post pics?
Prototype as in made by Prototype Racing. Sorry. It is a one off and I have no pictures.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
both setup are tuned? The blue line reads a little low I think, less than 280hp. The green line on the other hand is very nice.

·
EFI Tuning Professional
8,139 Posts
i would be delighted to build this motor myself. This is truly a great advance for supercharging the k series engine. We will learn more as the days pass

peace out
HARDCORE mikey

·
riiiiiiight
2,405 Posts
phatboy555 said:
and this is flywheel hp right...so ~290whp
no...this is whp, but as measured on a dynapack...it says flywheel hp but it actually at the hubs, and usually reads 10-15 higher than a traditional dynojet roller dyno...

·
Registered
88 Posts
did you see my Rotrex supercharger conversion 300 wbhp and 205 lb ft running out of fuel on 550 injectors, std engine, std exhaust, Dynojet rollers zero correction factor. I'm right up there with you. This was on my first days mapping with Hondata what a good tool! I think we will see over 330 with 10lb boost. Then we have the big blower to try!!!!

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
phatboy555 said:
and this is flywheel hp right...so ~290whp
No, it's wheel. It's a bug in the DynaPack software that labels it as flywheel. In my experience, though, that particular dyno reads fairly high. Nonetheless, the results of this run are most promising for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Hondata said:
Prototype as in made by Prototype Racing. Sorry. It is a one off and I have no pictures.
Did prototype develope the SC? Or just the IC? If not what type of SC are you using?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I emailed Joe from prototype racing a while back. He had some really good information regarding JRSC, and K series motors. I'm editing this a little bit, but some really good information regarding what he's done with the JRSC on the K20A....

From Joe (really cool, and very busy guy...)

I developed the intercooler on my own primarily for the supercharged K20A
Elise and Exige conversions that I do, but since I work in close conjunction
with Hondata [they're right down the street from me], and Hondata is doing
all of Jackson Racing's ECU tuning... testing was done on Doug
Macmillan's RSX-S... We also tested a design that George Spears [Spearco] came up with, and mine worked SO much better...
...a water to air intercooler core that is situated inside the intake manifold
and cooled by a separate heat exchanger mounted in the front of the car. We
used the same Bosch coolant pump that Ford uses on their Lightning pickup's,
this sourced from Jerry Magnusson, who distributes all Eaton superchargers
in the US. The core itself was originally made for 5.0 Mustangs, and with
some modification to both it and the Jackson manifold I came up with the new
design.... /QUOTE

He was trying to work out a business deal with Moss/JR for the design, but it would require a change the manifold casting... so :dontknow:

There's just a bit less space in the Elise engine bay than there is in the
RSX, so it'll all fit in your car just fine.
I just took delivery of a new Elise, so I've got my work cut out for me
getting it and my Exige both ready for the L.A. Auto Show in January. The
Elise will have a supercharged, intercooled stock displacement JDM K20A in
it, and the Exige will have a 2.3 liter K20A that I'm in the process of
building right now. I do this all on my own, so as you might expect I'm one
busy guy. /QUOTE

EDIT: I want one for my car :D. Where was VTEC set on the "green run"? (nevermind... 3000 rpms right in front of me ) There is soooo much more torque, and at much lower rpms. WOW!! Make sure you guys in the L.A. area go out and support him for the Auto Show in January.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
i no im going to sound like an ass when i say this and i dont really no all the technicall things about the k20a but here it goes ( Flame Suit On )

is it possible to twin turbo it? ( dont hurt me :nervous: )

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
NighTMarE said:
i no im going to sound like an ass when i say this and i dont really no all the technicall things about the k20a but here it goes ( Flame Suit On )

is it possible to twin turbo it? ( dont hurt me :nervous: )
Yes, but its a waste of time and money ;)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts