Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
RSX Lover
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are the pop out vids. I've edited them down a bit so they could be somewhat downloadable. I mounted the camera on the passenger door handle area with a big clip thing and I duct taped my camera to that. I hit record and drove around for a while and then just cut the clips where 3rd popped. Here's some info to hopefully answer some questions in advance.

- does not happen all the time, some days not at all, some days very frequent
- does not necessarily happen more on colder days
- only started happening below 10 degrees celcious (roughly 50 degrees F)
- happens whether gear is put in slowly or fast
- happens whether hand is on gear shift or not (if hand is on, grinding will occur)
- varying the clutch engagement and disengagement have no affect on pop out
- when happening a lot during one day, did some testing involving full clutch engagement, deliberate shifter engagement and waited a half second before releasing clutch, still pop out

- problem is that 3rd gear does not go all the way in but to person shifting it appears that it has. It will sit there in 3rd like it is in except it will popout when clutch is released.
- the person driving will sometimes notice that it doesnt go all the way in and they can "jam" or "ram" it all the way in
- one can normally avoid this happening by always ramming shifter into 3rd gear but this is a sad fix for the problem
- all other gears feel like butter and can be shifted with light effort with just hte fingers. *Most* of the time 3rd gear is silky smooth like this as well.

In the videos u will see me take my hands of shifter. I did this on purpose to illustrate that the gear actually looks like its engagement before the popout. Some may think im releasing clutch too fast but I thats the same rate I do for other gears. Even if I had let it sit there for a full second before I released the clutch, it would still pop out as I have tested this before.

Video 1

Video 2

History:
I read about this before I had gotten my car and thought it was possible that some ppl may just be shifting wrong as after I got my car my tranny was perfect it seemed. Then it started happening very infrequently. I eventually did some tests to see if I was doing something wrong and proved to myself I wasn't. I went to Acura to tell them to fix it. They said they would test drive my car. They did and didnt notice anything. Fair enough because it happens randomly and it hadn't happened that day yet. A few weeks I had a problem with a my door locks freezing and was pissed off. Took the car in and told them to fix that along with 3rd gear again. They said they tested the car and didnt notice it. They said they could let a mechanic take it home and test it for a few days. I wasn't impressed with this and said no. They said they had "heard" that a lot of ppl complain about this online but this didnt matter.

I told them they had two options:
Option 1) to take my word for it and fix it
Option 2) i'll get a video of it happening and bring it in. But before I bring it in, I'll post it on the internet so everyone else with this problem will have some evidence to take into their dealer

They chose option 2 and here we are today. Tomorrow I take the video in. Strangely tho, a few days after I gave them the two options, they called me to say they had ordered a new tranny for me... :dontknow: ... I was happy about this but I had already made up my mind to get this on video and get it out to everyone.

edit: orginally meant to say they chose option 2 at first

_

·
Mamimi
6,024 Posts
Wow, lucky you. My Acura dealership are assholes. They won't do shit with mine.

·
RSX Lover
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, lucky you. My Acura dealership are assholes. They won't do shit with mine.
Take video into them. If they say they need video of ure specific car, buy a clip for $4 and then get ureself some duct tape and a lil digital camera than can record movies. Or if u have a nice friend or girlfriend, get them to hold the camera while u drive :)

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
shouldn't this be in the automotive thread? or like video thread? lol, also if u jam your shifter up hard into 3rd and shift like paul walker you don't have to worry about it popin out. lol just like hold your hand so it can't pop out! :D

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
OH, damn, mine doesn't do THAT! How many miles are on your 06? Under low RPMS, I will have a problem with a rough feel OR I will encounter a wall. It will seem like when I shift into 3rd, I hit a wall and then it takes about a second and it goes in. It NEVER pops out like that. If I shift at 4K or above, it goes in like butter.

·
Miss Stacey Facey
1,174 Posts
Omg... I would high jack your video if i were a guy... My third was such a pain in the ass today. It was really cold, and it wouldn't even go into to third till it was warmed up, not even a pop out, just wouldn't even click in for a sec. I had to completely skip the gear a couple times. When I went to acura earlier in the yr for this problem they said "All of our 6 speed manuals have this issue, it goes away with time." Lmao. Yeah, ok. It is a little worse in the cold, but also does it with out any rhyme or reason.:firemad:

·
jolly of the midwest
1,093 Posts
mine will do that if i dont push it in hard enough. thats smart with the documentation.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Omg... I would high jack your video if i were a guy... My third was such a pain in the ass today. It was really cold, and it wouldn't even go into to third till it was warmed up, not even a pop out, just wouldn't even click in for a sec. I had to completely skip the gear a couple times. When I went to acura earlier in the yr for this problem they said "All of our 6 speed manuals have this issue, it goes away with time." Lmao. Yeah, ok. It is a little worse in the cold, but also does it with out any rhyme or reason.:firemad:
Just tell them that it's your husband/boyfriend/brother/friend driving, and you were filming the video.

·
jolly of the midwest
1,093 Posts
^^^:laughing:

·
Miss Stacey Facey
1,174 Posts
Just tell them that it's your husband/boyfriend/brother/friend driving, and you were filming the video.
Hm. That is a simple and practical solution. lol. Thanks haha.

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
damn that shit looks like a pain in the ass

·
RSX Lover
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went into Acura yesterday to show them the videos on my digital camera. The main guy at service there looked and the videos and said "Cool! Cool!" while looking at them and then said "don't worry, ure tranny is already on the way." From his reaction it seemed that was saying "Cool" because of the gear so visible popping out. I don't think he expected it to be quite as visible as it was. Told him I had to show him just to prove that I wasn't making all this stuff up. It was a short and quick conversation. I just pray my next tranny wont have this problem as well.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts