Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when i am driving its hard to throw it in 3rd gear... sometimes i will think its in but it just kicks back out... and also sometimes you can like feel something not right when your trying to put it in 3rd.... i went to acura and the dudes said this was a normal problem it happens to most rsx type s... so i was just curious if anybody else has dealt with this

·
hello.
1,187 Posts
yeap. ive had that problem since day one. doesnt really bug me now. hahah im going to change out the tranny fluid soon. im hoping that will eliminate the problem

·
Sikspeed
1,097 Posts
yea at first, but then again it was my first acura/honda. compared to bmw and vw which I previously owned gearbox felt really notchy. actually seemed very difficult to shift smoothly in the beginning. I got used to it pretty quick. bc ss helped a lot. make sure clutch is fully compressed before changing gears. my clutch is so tight it grabs at the very end of the pedal, the slightest decompression engages clutch.

·
Shiny side up!
930 Posts
I've had this problem approx 1 year after i had the car ,
(3rd gear), there is a bulletin out to repair/ replace 5th & 6th gear sets / syncros etc. Mine lasted only about 6 months after the repair (worked good too!!) but is now starting to become difficult at times again. I had read that synthetic gear oil may alleviate it but i have not tried it yet.

1,493 Posts
it is normal and if you get it on video they WILL order you a new transmission under warranty. Some transmissions do it,some donit.

Some tips:

Amsoil MTF
Shifter Bushings
Shifter Cable Bushings
Comptech SS Adaptor
Heavier Shift knob(Type R,Skunk2, etc.)

After all that most people rarely have the problem. :thumbsup: All of that should run you under 130 bucks, plus you've got some good upgrades to improve the shifting feel considerably.

·
G - Monay
4,209 Posts
i had the same fucken problem on my tranny too... third gear it pops back out and 2nd gear grind and i brought it to the dealer and he took it for a test drive..... he was shifting in high rpm so everything was fine and when i ask him to shift in lower rpm he wouldnt... even tho i told him clearly that it happens to me alot in lower rpms like 3 k .... then he told me theres nothing they can do its perfectly fine..... but then i went to a local shop and changed the tranny fluid (redline fluid) everything seems to be ALOT SMOOTHER..... no more popping out of 3rd gear and no more 2nd gear grind !

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Sometimes when i am driving its hard to throw it in 3rd gear... sometimes i will think its in but it just kicks back out... and also sometimes you can like feel something not right when your trying to put it in 3rd.... i went to acura and the dudes said this was a normal problem it happens to most rsx type s... so i was just curious if anybody else has dealt with this
Welcome to the RSX. :wavey:
i had the same problem and the dealer put the new honda tranny fluid in and it helped alot. I think it also has alot to do with the cold weather. Warm days its smooth and nice. Cold days it takes for ever to warm up and smooth out if at all.

·
iVtec Do You?
1,205 Posts
I have the same issue on my S. third gear pops out occasionally and 2nd gear feels a little notchy at times. I Flushed my tranny fluid for some honda MTF. Works a lot better but I do notice if I leave the car outside on a cold night (In Canada) it will pop out maybe once while its cold. The new MTF helped out a lot. Some people have had really good lucnh from Gm synco mesh. I bought Some today and I am going to put some in and see how much of a difference it makes.

·
366 Posts
Yeah i have noticed the problem this winter as well. I throw it into third, but it doesn't go in all the way and i end up grinding gears for a sec. Seems to be bad in cold weather, and gets better as the car warms up. I'll get the dealer to change the tranny fluid and hopefully it will help. It's actually nice to see that this is a common problem - i thought i was the only one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would suggest trying to switch to Amsoil Synchromesh MTF first. I had the same 3rd gear issue. After switching to Amsoil and > 4,000 km later, I haven't had one problem since. Winter morning cold shifts were improved too.

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
i have the same problem on my 06-s i came to the dealer he took it for a test drive and they told me they cant do anything aboutt it because it happens rarely so they didnt see a problem. wut should i do?
If it's under warranty tell them to fix it

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If you change the tranny fluid with non-oem will that void your warranty and the dealer blame that on the notchiness if it doesn't solve the problem?

·
Registered
408 Posts
i have problems gettin into 2ncd on hard accel. did this since it was new. these trans. are very picky about goin into gear. i think the tolerances are really tight. not sure though. never had problems with it popping out of gears, but theres a bulletin on the syncros, most likely your problem.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
i just took my si to the dealer and took the service manager for a little spin. they are now replacing my second gear syncros and replacing the fluid. I hope that helps my prob. i am looking for the bushings/ss/knob as I type.

A new SI?

I'm surprised that problem carried over to the SI. I thought that got that all sorted out. I would think it would be much cheaper for Honda to fix the problem rather then replacing everyone's trannys and whatnot.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts