Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is my dam issue.... This has been happening from the first time i bought the car... 3rd gear just randomly slips out when i goto shift into it... and sometimes its harder to put in then the other gears alot harder like i have to make sure its actually in place before i let go of the clutch... i called Acura and he said thats typical for the 06 and most of the other years as well... he said 3rd gear is just a smaller spot to shift into but i dunno maybe hes right maybe hes not... what do you guys think>?

·
Awd>All
3,163 Posts
i havent had this problem, but i also dont have the second gear issue either. it is a common problem with our cars. dont call the dealership about it tho, they wont be any help.

·
Registered
277 Posts
mine doesnt pop out and i wouldnt exactly say it is hard to put in. its just takes some love. but ive grinded a few times when i go to third and rest my hand on the shifter. if im not touching the shifter, the gear just pops out. thought it was just my car.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
This is how I deal with it. What I've found, in my case, is that the transmission is butter when you're rev happy. Once I'm actually moving in 1st, I'll casually accelerate until 3500, then give it some immediate throttle until 5k, completely ease off the gas, clutch in, shift, clutch out. It's butter. I do the same until I'm actually in 3rd. 4th and 5th aren't problematic, usually. BTW, I have a short shifter. Also, if you actually let the rev's hang, for a sec or two, and then shift, it seems to be like butter. For example, rev up to 4k, let it hang there for a sec or so, then put the clutch in, shift, clutch out. I prefer my first method, though.

·
Premium Member
15,843 Posts
the third gear issue is called false shift... it's due to a tiny tranny being a 6 speed. one thing that helps sometimes is a transmission flush with some better fluid.

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,087 Posts
I Switched To Amsoil Tranny Fluid And It Fixed My Same Problem.

Omfg I Can't Beleive It's Not Butter!

·
Knowledge is power
127 Posts
Use this: Royal Purple or Synchromesh Tranny Fluid. Ive heard good things about it especially when applied to your application.

I had the exact 3rd gear problem you are experiencing and the dealer fixed it under warranty with over 2 grand in work.

·
Registered
528 Posts
no offense, but it just sounds to me like you really don't know how to drive a manual all that well. before i bought my type s, i was somewhat concerned about the tranny issues, but i just said to myself, "i have been driving manuals all my life and just take it easy with the car." no problems whatsoever.

·
Wingless FTMFW
553 Posts
I got this occasionally when i first got my car. I just learned to be more deliberate with my shifts. Instead of goin from 2nd to 3rd at an angle, I started goin from 2nd into nuetral, then straight ahead into 3rd. Haven't had a problem since. I attribute it to lazy shifting. :dontknow:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Use this: Royal Purple or Synchromesh Tranny Fluid. Ive heard good things about it especially when applied to your application.

I had the exact 3rd gear problem you are experiencing and the dealer fixed it under warranty with over 2 grand in work.
Yeah i dont know about that Royal purple stuff. i have always liked RP products but as soon as I switched my mtf to Rp the third gear grinds if i shift over 3500. could be the synchros in my car but who knows......

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I get the same "3rd gear wall" with my 06, especially on cold days. I mostly notice the problem when I am moving slow and shifting at 3000 RPM. However, when I'm redlining 3rd gear just "sucks" into gear like its in a vacuum lol, so :dontknow:
Going from 2nd to 3rd feels alot better when revving high.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.