Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
VS. Godzilla
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my Injen CAI, Comptech short header with no mod to cat., Magnaflow cat-back exhaust (2.25") last week. I did not notice any change in the low end initially. But I was running at 65mph in 5th gear (tach at 3K) last night, try to accelerate, but it just won't go, so I floored it to the ground>Nothing happens... Whereas before I install my Injen CAI, it would go faster...

So I downshift to 4th gear, and I don't need to floor it, the thing takes off at 5Krpm til 6500rpm...

As for anywher below 5000rpm, I felt I lost power, and I think my time is just about the same as before. Its just that the power is concentrated in the higher power band. I guess if I kept the power band above 5000rpm after 1st gear I would be fine... But I can't feel it pull at all in first gear. I can feel it kicks at 2nd gear.

Anyone with similar experience? Or did I messed up the intake install. I had the ECU reset with battery disconnect for 3 hrs. Idle for 15mins before driving.

Other thing I could think of is how far the filter needs to be pushed into the tube. I just have no idea where it should be.

·
Registered
547 Posts
"Its just that the power is concentrated in the higher power band. "

That's precisely correct. When you throw breather mods (I/H/E/Cat) onto a low displacement, high rpm engine, you will usually sacrifice low- and even midrange torque to gain hp. You will also lose some part-throttle response. Just be glad you have a 2.0L engine. It's even worse with the old b-series (1.8 and 1.6L engines).

Welcome to the wonderful world of gutless hondas =)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
That's a lack of throttle response, a negative of ram design intakes such as the Injen CAI. If you want better throttle response then go for an airbox design like the Comptech Icebox. Or a Short Ram intake will give you a little better response as well, but airboxes are the best for response.

In other words, it's normal. Downshift harder to make up for it.

·
VS. Godzilla
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, I think the power lost was more dramatic than the power gained. Is it worth it to put in IHE at all... And why does everyone want a Injen CAI so bad. You'll probably lose more hp than gain anything in the end.

As with throttle response, its bad before 5000rpm, but after that, it was faster than before. I have a feeling that I am slower when I'm driving it normally Shifting at 4Krpm. And I am faster when I am redlining it. The trade seems to be a disappointment to me.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
your scaring me haha i'm just about to throw my comptech race header on i finally just got all the bolts off! but i'm hoping that with hondata it will equal everything out, i'm just not sure if i should get hondata now or after the head swap, but the head swap isn't gonna be done till my warrenty is up... grrr so many decisions lol!

once my header is on, i have a SRI and a CAI i have the SRI on right now so i will try it with that and then throw the CAI on and see how much of a difference there is!

D

·
Representin' DC5AB.COM
433 Posts
I have I/H/E on my car and I had hardly any loss of power down low. My mid range and top end increased big time which is great. If you drive my car and then a stock RSX, you'll notice that my car has way more pull.

Oh, and I have AEM SRI, HP Shorty header and Vibrant cat back.

·
VS. Godzilla
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Umm, maybe its because u have a SRI, and not a CAI. And which rpm do you consider mid-range? A clarification will help. I lose most power before 3000rpm. 3000 to 4000 rpm remain almost the same as my custom ram air intake. 4000 to 5000rpm is a little faster to hit than before. 5000-redline is fast. Fifth gear does not accelerate anymore when I am below 80mph, if I want to go from 80 to 90 and have the gas to the floor, it will barely go to 85.

Downshift from 80mph to 4th wakes up engine and go Zoom Zoom passed everycar, but when up shift again, it slows in fifth... My fifth gear died and its just for cruising...

·
Registered
159 Posts
whoa. wait a tick. So you're saying that after installing a CAI, you lose pwr at low-mid rpm(3000-5000ish) and only feel the beneficial effects of your mods at high rpm (5000+)? I'm a little confused as to why this is happening. Dynos clearly show that there is hp/torque gain from installing the CAI (see Injen's dyno for Base RSX here.)

Okay, so if dynos show definate pwr gain, then whats up with this lack of pwr (or even DROP in pwr) that Ultraman is experiencing? Does everyone with a CAI experience this also? I just find it odd that while everyone else is 100% satisfied with their CAI, Ultraman expresses much dissatifaction over the performance of his CAI. If there IS a drop in pwr...it cant be that dramatic right? maybe slower by .2-.3 sec? :dontknow:

oh one more thing, wat do u guys mean by "throttle response"? U mean acceleration? (sorry. im a bit new to this stuff)

·
boosted
911 Posts
The same shit happened with my 98 accord. I had all that shit on there and i lost a lot on take off. But my car felt great on the top end.

·
VS. Godzilla
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, that is correct, if you don't gun it in first gear, you will slowly climb to 5000rpm which then all of a sudden revs faster and hits redline. Let me tell you my first embrassing shifting for like 2 yrs since I got the car... I was trying to cruise, and then all of a sudden, as you would see above a Cavelier tried to race me when I was going 15mph, so I floored it... I was just turtling up the rpm, then after 5000rpm it climbs so fast I did not realize it, I know it was about to reach redline so I do my usual shifting, too late... It was climbing faster than I could adjust since it was from slow to fast, and I thought it would be slow all the way. I grab shifter and my foot was like 1/2sec slower, and I grinded 2nd for 1/2sec but was able to push it into gear. Checked it was in gear at 5000rpm... Gun at it. and pull the shit out of the car, and the other was gone in my mirror. I've tested this again and again. I realized u must stay in the power band, or it will be slower. I don't know if most member can sense it, but I am very sensitive to how my car feels, I can even tell I need tire PSI when its only 1/2PSI lower. Its true since when I feel like I need air and check it, one tire would always be off by 1/2PSI.

·
Registered
333 Posts

Yeah now I'm freakin' confused too, thanks a lot! :dontknow:

They dyno clearly shows that Injen CAI only will help power pretty much throughout the band... but mostly near the top. I guess I already knew that, but this "slower" down low crap isn't encouraging at all. The vast majority of driving is done in lower-mid range rpms, you only get up to 6k if you are really gunning it or at the track.

I was always considering the comptech icebox a top option...now maybe it should be my only option?

more opinions/experiences please!

·
VS. Godzilla
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just wonder if the Type S does this too. Now I know why ppl in a Type S will lose 0-60 against a base. There really is no power below 5000rpm in gear 1. And to get through it, you need at least 2 secs...

·
boosted
911 Posts
Get a high flow cat or gut it...once i changed the cat on my accord things felt a lot smoother. With the setup you have now i dont think it is good for the stock cat anyways. It may melt the internals of the cat from the extra power running to the exhaust. It may also cause back pressure...

·
VS. Godzilla
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I guess will let it burn and melt down then, since I don't want to take it off and gut it out. Let it melt and burn all it wants. Come to think of it, I think it must be burning. Because I have been running rich for some reason, and could be because I ran the car with stock filter and comptech header and exhaust for too long. There must be tons of oil or carbon deposit on it.

But I think if you gut out the cat, its going to be worse in the low rpm ,but helps with high rpm. Since the air velocity at lower rpm will be much slower.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Ultraman,

You said you installed I/H/E all at the same time, correct? If so I believe most of the low-end power you lost is due to the Magnaflow Exhaust. I installed my Injen CAI first, and noticed an increase in power all through the powerband. Then, a few months later, I installed my Magnaflow exhaust, and immediately noticed a loss of power below 3200 RPM. I would say below 3200 RPM - Big loss in power, 3200-4000 even with stock+CAI, 4000+ more power than stock+CAI.

So if you really can't get used to the loss of low-end torque/HP, I would recommend returning the Exhaust back to stock.

I (like you) am also waiting for the results of the JET vs. HONDATA debate before I decide on one. I'm hoping the ECU flash will cure the low-end power loss (which Hondata claims it does).

-Jonas

·
VS. Godzilla
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jonwondo said:
Hey Ultraman,

You said you installed I/H/E all at the same time, correct? If so I believe most of the low-end power you lost is due to the Magnaflow Exhaust. I installed my Injen CAI first, and noticed an increase in power all through the powerband. Then, a few months later, I installed my Magnaflow exhaust, and immediately noticed a loss of power below 3200 RPM. I would say below 3200 RPM - Big loss in power, 3200-4000 even with stock+CAI, 4000+ more power than stock+CAI.

So if you really can't get used to the loss of low-end torque/HP, I would recommend returning the Exhaust back to stock.

I (like you) am also waiting for the results of the JET vs. HONDATA debate before I decide on one. I'm hoping the ECU flash will cure the low-end power loss (which Hondata claims it does).

-Jonas
No, I did it from back to front. First it was Magnaflow cat-back, then I did my custom ram air intake, which I thought was pretty good at the time. Then install my comptech headers. 6 months later I install the Injen CAI. I think I might have pushed the filter too much into the tube. I will test it again tonite. Something is not right. I climbed a hill on a bridge at fifth. It was not going at all. Shift down to 4th, a little better but definitely not pulling as hard as before. And it was at 4500rpm when I down shift to 4th.

·
boosted
911 Posts
Ultraman said:
Well, I guess will let it burn and melt down then, since I don't want to take it off and gut it out. Let it melt and burn all it wants. Come to think of it, I think it must be burning. Because I have been running rich for some reason, and could be because I ran the car with stock filter and comptech header and exhaust for too long. There must be tons of oil or carbon deposit on it.

But I think if you gut out the cat, its going to be worse in the low rpm ,but helps with high rpm. Since the air velocity at lower rpm will be much slower.

I dont recommend that, if the internals start to come loose from the cat then they can clog the outlet and cause some serious backpressure and fuck your car up bad. If you dont feel like wasting the money on a high flow cat then just hollow out the one you got. As for you car running lean with that setup, well my accord did too. My check engine light was on the whole time without a high flow cat. The check engine light was on because my exhaust was not recieving the power expected by the O2 sensor. It was restricted by the stock cat. Once i changed to a random technologies high flow cat all the problems went away except for a nasty rotten egg smell.

·
Registered
306 Posts
so you're saying it's detrimental to your car in running an aftermarket cat-back and intake without aftermarket high flow cat? I've been doing this for a year and I'm assuming tons of other members are too.

·
VS. Godzilla
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I might just remove the cat from the header, then install just a long pipe and see what it does in the woods...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts