Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I was driving my 5spd with one of my boys, we had just gotten on the service road, I see an older model Mercedes next to me, trying to pass so I leave the car in 2nd and then shift to 3rd at around 45 mph, the car pulled hard in 2nd, but once I went to 3rd it just lost its momentum (of course there was a bit of up hill). I kept up with the Mercedes till 90 and then we shut down, I guess the 3rd gear is were the difference between the Type S and the Base becomes evident. Oh by the way I don't think its worth it to mod the base, for the money that you're gone be spending you're much better off buying a Type S right off the bat IMO!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Third gear is too long in the 5speed. They should have made 3rd gear shorter and 4th gear slightly longer in my opinion... but I'm not an engineer so I don't know exactly how that would affect the overall economy and maintenance and such.

Who that wanted immediate performance didn't get the TypeS anyway? Anyone that bought a Base probably wasn't looking at performance alone, or shouldn't have been if they decided on the Base.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
R_in_Base said:
I like my base. BTW shifting to [email protected] is early - way early.
So, when would you have shifted, I don't want to over work the engine! Overall I'm very happy with it, its just that sometimes you kind of wish you had a little more boost, but I guess that's human nature you're never satesfied, maybe in the next 4-5 years I'll upgrade to something that has more torque and Hp, G35???? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Second gear redline is at about 64mph. You had a LOT of head room to shift down into second still. Third gear redline is 80-something mph. Fourth is 110. Fifth is 140.

Up shift at 6,900 to 7,000 RPMs or you'll hit the rev limiter.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
simsim said:
get the type S?

lol so many ppl say that.
Well the reason why is that if u do the math the Type S will be alot cheaper than modding the 5 speed to match the potential of the Type S. I got my Type S for 23,700 with the OEM Body Kit, the Kit alone cost near 1100 so I basically got the car for around 22,000+

Dont know how much people will spend to get 40+WHP to the wheels, but I am pretty sure it will take more than headers,exhaust and cai.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
frank51 said:
but I guess that's human nature you're never satesfied, maybe in the next 4-5 years I'll upgrade to something that has more torque and Hp, G35???? :thumbsup:
I am already in the process of getting the G35, the best thing to do is get a mutual fund, start it now, deposit about $500.00 to start it, then pay $100-$400 a month and in 3-5 years u will have around 10-20-30g depending on the market and interest. And boom u got urself a downpayment for a G35.

Just think about it before u buy a 300 dollar exhaust or 200 dollar cai, if u invest that money it will pay off in the long run. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
frank51 said:
So, when would you have shifted, I don't want to over work the engine! Overall I'm very happy with it, its just that sometimes you kind of wish you had a little more boost, but I guess that's human nature you're never satesfied, maybe in the next 4-5 years I'll upgrade to something that has more torque and Hp, G35???? :thumbsup:

if you shift like that it doesn't matter if you have a base or type s, you're shifting way too early

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
James S said:
Second gear redline is at about 64mph. You had a LOT of head room to shift down into second still. Third gear redline is 80-something mph. Fourth is 110. Fifth is 140.

Up shift at 6,900 to 7,000 RPMs or you'll hit the rev limiter.
James S are u sh*tting me ? I am not sure but damn my car goes to 8200 and I dont think I can hit 64mph in 2nd gear.

In a 1/4 mile I finish it after 3rd gear shift and thats shifting at 8200 RPM.

140MPH ur car wont go that high. I tried mine it hit 157 or so MPH i am not sure then my Check Engine Light came on.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
i'm not saying exact i'm saying about or less than

and it's for a base but then again i'm rollin on 18s so it might of slightly off

1 - 20 of 40 Posts