Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when cruising around on flat highway at ~60mph, i'm usually at ~2000rpm in 5th gear. but as soon as there is a small incline, the car slows down. i try to give it more gas but it just wont pick up. the rpms stay steady at ~2000rpms unless i go WOT. does this happen to any other base auto owners? it kind of sucks when you need to pass someone on a incline and/or you're slowing down traffic behind you :(

·
997 C4S
11,065 Posts
That's because 5th is a cruising gear. You're in the wrong gear for the situation. You want a lower gear to accelerate in.

Got_Leather said:
thats what happens when you dont get a type s...i can do this in 6th and pass, hahah...
That's a stupid thing to say. This happens in ANY and EVERY car - your $20k Type-S included :rolleyes: The tallest gear will accelerate the worst, there's no way around that.

·
put mo' chamomile on it
1,807 Posts
loftyasianz said:
^^ thanks, but i dont drive in SS so i guess i'm stuck unless there is a way to make it go down a gear in D...
on an incline, a medium application from the throttle should result in a 5 --> 4 downshift. you don't have to WOT to get it downshift. at WOT, it will likely downshift 5 --> 3. however, that shouldn't be necessary unless you're driving up Mt. Kilimanjaro.

·
Zack Killa
4,535 Posts
Speeddemon69 said:
that's cause you have a 5-speed and the topic creator has an auto, different tranny's, different gearing.
so then ur telling me that an auto has a higher top end speed than my 5 speed

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
jared said:
so then ur telling me that an auto has a higher top end speed than my 5 speed

not necessarily, 5th in the base auto is probably a taller gear than 5th in the manual transmission. Theoretically this may give the auto a higher top speed but neither car has the hp/tq to redline 5th gear without some sort of forced induction.

lat-R

·
Zack Killa
4,535 Posts
right so the 5 speed would get there faster but the auto would tap out further c i thought the 5 speed and the auto had the same final drive ratio or mb it does and the thread starter had a typo and everybody is wrong :dontknow:

·
997 C4S
11,065 Posts
loftyasianz said:
not if i'm going on a incline, i have to floor it to get it to change rpms. otherwise it just hovers around 2000rpms.
No you don't have to floor it. When you drive, do you even push on the gas pedal or does the car accelerate by the weight of your shoe? C'mon man, it's not rocket science.

·
Registered
12 Posts
uh, dude, how hard is it to tap it into SS and tap it downwards? you can revert to D after the job is done. It's not like a manual car, the system is completely idiot proof and it gets the job done. SS, 5->4, pass, back to D. That's what it's there for. :dontknow:

·
Registered
113,845 Posts
:dontknow: get a running start

hit the hill doing 90 instead of 60, problem solved

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
loftyasianz said:
i cant downshift, i drive a auto in D not SS. :(
um.. lol... Driving in D isn't that bad and I can pass people pretty easily. Just give it some more gas and it'll go fast, no need to WOT to make it go faster.

I also noticed that the base auto has a smart transmission feature or something like that so when you're on an incline (depends) the transmission will lock itself into a high gear (I went up a small hill and my transmission won't go higher then 4th) and give you more speed without you slamming the accelerator.

Also, You do drive a RSX right? put it into M and downshift, it won't kill your car

·
Registered
21 Posts
Going up small hills, doesn't your tourque converter just break and your revs jump up about 300 rpms? All the times I've driven an auto base thats what it did unless I romped on it then yah sometimes I got a 5 to 2 shift!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.