Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Tennis Physicist.
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just got my 2006 NBP Type-S 9 days ago. I was noticing today that on the top left portion of the windshield where your 'oil change' sticker goes, that they put 5W-20 oil in this car!
Now I on my base I used this oil but i'm pretty sure that for a Type-S you are supposed to use 5W-30 correct?
Also, when shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear, it feels like a grind and after reading and searching I have come to the conclsuion that this is somewhat of a common problem for our transmissions.
Any imput would be muchly appreciated.:wavey:

·
Tennis Physicist.
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
??? lol

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
5w-20 is thinner and will burn fast...which if you do alot of spirited runs could mean trouble...i think thats what my car had when i first got it too...and whenever i got my oil changes they would always tell me i was 1/2 quart low... so i switched to 5w-30 synthetic, and im never low and the car runs great.

·
0 Posts
5w20 is what Honda specifies for the K20Z3. That being said, I would not run anything thinner than 30-weight in one of our engines.

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,088 Posts
I mixed 5w-30 and 5w-20 for the winter.

I have burned some.

Just monitor the oil and use 5w-30 next time unless it's very cold where u are.

·
Tennis Physicist.
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys...these were the responses I was looking for.
Do you all use the Acura quality lubricant oil or do you buy your own? If so, what are some of your personal preferences.

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,088 Posts
Pennzoil Platnium full synthetic

·
Tennis Physicist.
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not too sure about this oil stuff quite yet. I'm sure Drumnatural could help you out though.

·
its a wooden pickle
666 Posts
Thanks guys...these were the responses I was looking for.
Do you all use the Acura quality lubricant oil or do you buy your own? If so, what are some of your personal preferences.
Do a search for "oil" "mobil 1" "royal purple" and "amsoil"

But to answer your question. The most popular used oil is the Mobil 1 synthetic. 5w-30. I have used both M1 and royal purple, and have had to add oil before the change with both oils. The high revving engine tends to burn oil somewhat.

The 2nd and 3rd gear problem you are having is due to our syncro problem. Order some amsoil syncromesh tranny fluid, and maybe invest in a buddy club short shifter.

·
Tennis Physicist.
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool thanks Maudlin :thumbsup:

·
its a wooden pickle
666 Posts
Cool thanks Maudlin :thumbsup:
Np man. I read over in your other post about your dilemma with the CAI vs the header/exhaust. My best advice would be to change the oil yourself, take a look underneath your car. Look at your exhaust, where/how it bolts up. Your cat and header, and even the mounts that the esmm insert into. Just get a feel for how everything looks IRL. Then read the DIY, look at the pictures, and you may get one of those "Ah Hah!" moments.

Gluck!

·
Tennis Physicist.
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ sounds good dude! Thanks for the support. I'm pretty sure I can handle it all but the intimidating part is lifting up the car and leaving it on stands...ya know?

·
its a wooden pickle
666 Posts
Invest in some craftsman stands. They should hold up to 6000 lbs. Your car is 2600ish.

·
7,611 Posts
different cams, pistons, compression ratio, ecu, redline, power

different engine :thumbsup:
Well, yes, but........

I've never heard of using a 20 weight oil in any car, I guess I thought 20 was too thin for most engines.

So should I continue to use 5-20 in my base? Will 5-30 provide better protection or will it induce more wear and tear?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts