Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not necessarily a problem but a question about engine oil. I have a 04 base auto and on my oil cap it says to use 5w-20. I hear from the forums and from friends talk about royal purple so I decided to look into it and now since im almost due for a oil change at 3000. Ive been using Castrol synethic so far. I want to get it. The problem is I cant find 5w-20 but all I see is 5w-30 which is for the type s and other cars. I was wondering would there be a problem if I used 5w-30 instead of 5w-20?
What would happen if I use 30 instead of 20?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah b4 I went to synethic I was on quaker oil and it was the regular one. Ive been doing every 3K and ignoring the "3K or 3 Months" routine. Since this is my first batch of synethic in the car already Im gona wait. What do you guys suggest to change my oil if not every 3K with synethic. 5,000 miles?

Back to my question. SO using 5w-30 instead of 5w-20 is oK?

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,088 Posts

·
likes to troubleshoot
2,539 Posts
... I was wondering would there be a problem if I used 5w-30 instead of 5w-20?
What would happen if I use 30 instead of 20?
There's no problem, but you'll get slightly worse gas mileage compared to 5w-20. Also, 5w-20 would definitely be the better grade heading into winter.

·
Boost Addict
873 Posts
yes 5w-20 and 5w-30 can be used interchangeably (sp?) in our car. it isnt that big a deal

for instance, i use Kendall 20w-50 race oil with no problems. i use it in all my cars.

·
Boost Addict
873 Posts
been using it for a while with no problems. i work at a porsche shop and we use it in all the cars we work on (unless they require synthetic, then we use mobil 1). i use it in a jeep grand cherokee 5.7L hemi, the rsx, vw golf 1.8t and my coworker uses it in his grand cherokee, 911 turbo, del sol, s500, 3000gt, mr2, and some other cars.

we have no problems with it at all

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
been using it for a while with no problems. i work at a porsche shop and we use it in all the cars we work on (unless they require synthetic, then we use mobil 1). i use it in a jeep grand cherokee 5.7L hemi, the rsx, vw golf 1.8t and my coworker uses it in his grand cherokee, 911 turbo, del sol, s500, 3000gt, mr2, and some other cars.

we have no problems with it at all
no problems at all? i didn't know you have microscope-focusing eyes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts