Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I’ve been locked out of first gear in my RSX. I’m probably just gonna ride out second gear until that breaks and then swap the trans. However, the type S transmission seems to cost on average $1,000 extra. Seems to be that I can find a base model 5-speed trans for about 750-1000$ shipped. So if I go about taking the L on the 6th gear and using the 5 speed, what do I all need? Just a new shifter and shift linkage?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I don't think you need anything but if you are in 5th and pull down it will grind.

·
WILDCARD!
1,297 Posts
Ok so I’ve been locked out of first gear in my RSX. I’m probably just gonna ride out second gear until that breaks and then swap the trans. However, the type S transmission seems to cost on average $1,000 extra. Seems to be that I can find a base model 5-speed trans for about 750-1000$ shipped. So if I go about taking the L on the 6th gear and using the 5 speed, what do I all need? Just a new shifter and shift linkage?
I mean, is this just your daily driver that you do not give two shits about? If the trans doesn't need replacing immediately, I'd say put a little cash away towards a 6-speed. Car's going to suck without it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean, is this just your daily driver that you do not give two shits about? If the trans doesn't need replacing immediately, I'd say put a little cash away towards a 6-speed. Car's going to suck without it.
I plan on turboing this car in the future and figured the 5 speed would have better gearing than the 6 speed with the boost. Why do u say it’s gonna suck with the 5 speed?

·
Registered
678 Posts
5 speed will have longer gears and the internals such as synchros, gates, even the gears will be weaker than in the type s transmission. I recommend rebuilding with synchrotech hardware.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooo okay that’s good info to have, thanks. Looks like there are actually some well priced trans on eBay rn. 100k miles 6speed for 1500 shipped and one with 144k for ~1k shipped

·
WILDCARD!
1,297 Posts
I plan on turboing this car in the future and figured the 5 speed would have better gearing than the 6 speed with the boost. Why do u say it’s gonna suck with the 5 speed?
Yeah, that whole "long gears for boost, short for N/A" thing is not quite as simple as it seems. If traction problems weren't a thing, short gearing would still win out most of the time. But these cars are FWD Hondas and traction problems ARE a thing. Ideally, you'd solve it (as much as possible) with the proper tools (traction bars, tires, etc.). Pairing a longer-geared transmission with a turbo is the poor man's solution.

And like I said, it's not an either/or type of thing. The characteristics of the turbo you're using should be considered as well. It's possible that a longer-geared transmission or a Frankenstein transmission with a combo of longer and shorter gears might be the best fit for a particular build. You'll see that a lot on B and D-series setups.

And x2 on what Inzain08 said.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent info. In the future I plan on possibly running a k24 bottom end and building my k20 head. I found a type s trans with 144k for 875 shipped (I think shipped) think I’m gonna hop on that. This trans will still work right? Or will I need a k24 trans?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Managed to purchase a type S trans with 144k for $940 shipped, taxes included. From what I’ve seen that’s a steal, hopefully it works well. Thanks for everyone’s advice

·
WILDCARD!
1,297 Posts
Managed to purchase a type S trans with 144k for $940 shipped, taxes included. From what I’ve seen that’s a steal, hopefully it works well. Thanks for everyone’s advice
Yeah, it should be fine if it's an RSX transmission. Any k-series transmission should bolt up, but some would require the VSS to be changed and the shifter to be modified a bit. Type-S tranny should be good to go as is.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Before you put it in I suggest the synchrotech rebuild kit, again. Definitely consider doing the maintenance on it now so you don't have to worry later. Good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
InZain- you recommend synchrotech rebuild even with the type s trans I managed to find?
Brutal-it is an rsx type s direct replacement ✅ however, question, just because I’m curious.. what is the VSS that would need modification for the 5-speed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts