Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My dad keeps on trying to persuade me to get a different car to autox in. I found a 92 Nissan 240 for cheap, what do you guys think? Should I get it? Also I am 21 and am paying for my RSX myself, but still consider my dad's opinion, lol. I love autoxing my RSX, its just if anything breaks then I have no other car to drive.

Only pics I have of it so far:

·
Cone Killer
1,496 Posts
If you want to autox on the cheap, it would make more sense to get a competive car. The 240 isn't competive except for one instance in STS. Look at an E stock miata for a cheap competive car.
From a 240 owner, that is an old car and you will have to do a lot of work to it. I chose a 240 with the SR20DET in SM. It has potential but would take a lot of time & money to make it competetive. I plan on having the car for a while so a slow process is O.K. for me. I also am not 100% focused on autocross for the car. I want a track day/time attack car as well. Though it isn't ready for road course yet so I haven't even done a track day this season :(

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
just buy an old civic hatchback and run H-stock.

Cheap and nothing will go wrong.. unless it was because the car was poorly maintained or in poor mechanical shape.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I planned on looking for an old civic and I know there are better options, but I can get this car for cheap. Also I know someone that has a motor and tranny that I could get as a backup for almost nothing also.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Haha, I was in the exact same situation!

I'm 20 and worry about beating up my RSX. I'm not so worried about auto-x, but the track days really take a toll, and theres the potential for a crash there.

My dad was bugging me that I need to get a beater track car... "Don't come crying to me when you roll over your RSX blah blah blah...". After looking for a CRX for a long time, I ended up getting a Miata. Best decision I could have made on a track car. Its amazing. I love driving it.

I picked up mine for $2250 with only 74k miles on the clock. I'm putting about $1000 into it to fix all the minor little things wrong with it.

·
2 trunks = twice the fun!
1,020 Posts
If you want to autox on the cheap, it would make more sense to get a competive car. The 240 isn't competive except for one instance in STS. Look at an E stock MR2 for a cheap competive car.
Fixed that for ya. :thumbsup:

-Dan!!

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
I believe the question would be... Do you want to be compeditive or is this just to get seat time and have fun?

If you want to be competitive, then you need to sit down and figure out what class you want to run in, and then Buy the car that best suits that class.

If this is just for fun/experience... then buy any thing that you happen to like and run it in what ever class you end up legal for.

·
VTAKK abuser
169 Posts
ok this might sound stupid but also look into 1st gen neons. i can't recall the class since two years ago they moved all the cars around but they were in the same class as the 99 civic si and neons would eat them on the course.

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
Back in the day the Neon ACR was a bad ass little car. Problem is there's newer cars that run the same classes that beat the snot out of it now.

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
I believe the question would be... Do you want to be compeditive or is this just to get seat time and have fun?

If you want to be competitive, then you need to sit down and figure out what class you want to run in, and then Buy the car that best suits that class.

If this is just for fun/experience... then buy any thing that you happen to like and run it in what ever class you end up legal for.
best advice :thumbsup:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up getting it. The registration and inspection were almost expired, so he was about to get it towed to a scrap yard to get rid of it. The scrap yard was going to give him $400 for it, so thats what I got it for. The cat was stolen off it, lol, so its loud as hell, but it runs better than I thought. Its an automatic, but I already have a spare motor and manual transmission for it from one of my buddies thats kind of going in on this with me. Also one of the headlights doesnt pop up, and I can tell that it has been in some minor accidents, but the frame and suspension look fine. I dont really plan on being competitive in this car and really I didnt plan on buying another car this soon, but it would be hard to pass up on this, so I jumped on it.

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
seems like a fun project, and i guess for 400 whoppers it wasnt a bad deal. have fun with it :)

·
Cone Killer
1,496 Posts
Turbo that bitch and join the 240 SM club! I love taking abuse from fellow autocrossers about being the "drift king". It is sometimes hard to keep straight though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts