Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to this guy tonight, he claimed that his Talon TSI was running mid 13's w/ only 500$ (CANADIAN) worth of work. He does not have a chip and does not have any shot of any sort. Is this possible?

Oh and the guy just finished beating a WS6 prior to talking to me... i think the guy is full of shit but then again i don't know much about boost and what they're capable of with little $$$. :confused:

I'll try and find out more about what he has done for 500$, my friend knows the guys little brother.

· Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No shot

It doesn't have a nitrous kit but i'll check about the boost control, for 500$ that is like 1-1.5 seconds faster then stock. Those are some good mods for your $$$. :thumbsup:

Anyone else have some comments about the possibility of this...? :dontknow:

· Registered
27 Posts
For $5 you can make a TSI a 13 second car. Makes you jealous hu? All it takes is a trip to the local hardware store to make a diy boost controller. It's really easy to make those GS-T's and tallons 1/4 mile monsters.

· Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW :eek:

I wish i could make my car a 13 second car with 5$. But i guess that is one advantage with turbo's. :spin:

G

·
Check with Club DSM for all kinds of info about the Eclipse, Talon, Laser turbos.

I believe the $500 thing. It's thrifty but you can do it.
  • AWD is the advantage.
  • 1st Generation (90-94) GSX/TSi's are 300lbs lighter than 95-99
  • 1G's also use a higher flowing turbo that can put out 20psi of boost (but not forever).
  • A DIY boost controller (i.e. bleeder valve) works and is $5, but a ball-spring valve is far better and could be bought at Grainger with a little searching around.
  • Replace the cat with a straight pipe. ($25-30)
  • ...or better, drop exhaust from cat-back at the strip.
  • K&N air filter or similar (no more than $100)
  • 1G hog out the MAF sensor for more airflow and remove some small restricting components (free)
  • Apexi AFC for fuel control, (~$300 new, or buy used < $200). Use to lean out the mixture a little for quicker spool and more top-end hp.
  • Small voltmeter for O2 sensor read-out to make sure your AFC is tuned right. ($85 from
    Jumptronix)

That's BARE bones, but I can see it netting 13's easily.

· Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spoulson said:
Check with Club DSM for all kinds of info about the Eclipse, Talon, Laser turbos.

I believe the $500 thing. It's thrifty but you can do it.
  • AWD is the advantage.
  • 1st Generation (90-94) GSX/TSi's are 300lbs lighter than 95-99
  • 1G's also use a higher flowing turbo that can put out 20psi of boost (but not forever).
  • A DIY boost controller (i.e. bleeder valve) works and is $5, but a ball-spring valve is far better and could be bought at Grainger with a little searching around.
  • Replace the cat with a straight pipe. ($25-30)
  • ...or better, drop exhaust from cat-back at the strip.
  • K&N air filter or similar (no more than $100)
  • 1G hog out the MAF sensor for more airflow and remove some small restricting components (free)
  • Apexi AFC for fuel control, (~$300 new, or buy used < $200). Use to lean out the mixture a little for quicker spool and more top-end hp.
  • Small voltmeter for O2 sensor read-out to make sure your AFC is tuned right. ($85 from
    Jumptronix)

That's BARE bones, but I can see it netting 13's easily.
It was 500$ Canadian... it was a 1995. Still possible? Remember no shot at all. :dontknow:

G

·
its true

They sell a manual boost controller online i think at www.boostcontroller.com for under 50.00! All you need is a boost guage to make sure you don't go to high on stock conditions. I didn't buy this one for my 97 talon tsi awd, but i did have one just like it... I dropped my car 1.8 seconds with K&N filter, OBX exhaust, and boost controller/guage.

after that, the car was running weird, so i sold it quickly before the turbo would blow.. and got myself a Type-S!!!

So far I put in Sparco Grip Pedals, AEM Cold Air Intake... by xmas time i'll have my GReddy Exhaust,

Front/Rear tie bars, rear sway bar, lowering springs, jdm spoiler, tinted windows, and blue neon lighting..

when spring rolls around i'll get myself a nice set of 17" rims, Toyo rubber, Pioneer sound system with DVD, cams, pulleys, port and polish, flywheel, high-performance clutch, and that's pretty much all I want to do.. i think it'll get me into the 13's...

Then i might do a supercharger or Nos...not sure if i really want NOS...

I rather have turbo, cuz there is nothing sweeter then the PSSH! of a blow off valve like in my talon, but supercharger gives you that instant power... turbo lag really sucks!

· Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NEW INFO

His is a 1995 Talon TSI AWD... This is what he has done according to his brother: "got a sweet blow off valve, new spark plugs, fuel injectors, all new wires plus his o2 sensor is relocated to the front"

Is it still possibly to make mid 13's?!?!?! And kill WS6's like he claims, if not (as i think) what kind of times COULD he be running.

:dontknow:

G

·
Re: NEW INFO

a_peep said:
His is a 1995 Talon TSI AWD... This is what he has done according to his brother: "got a sweet blow off valve, new spark plugs, fuel injectors, all new wires plus his o2 sensor is relocated to the front"

Is it still possibly to make mid 13's?!?!?! And kill WS6's like he claims, if not (as i think) what kind of times COULD he be running.

:dontknow:
hah, now he sounds like an ass. :shakehea:

Sorry, but WS6's are over 300hp. No spark plug or fuel injectors alone will give you 90 more hp. Relocate O2 sensor to front? wtf does that mean?

· ¯\(º_o)/¯
1,996 Posts
hmm... blow-off valve, plugs, wires, injectors... nope, dont think that'll do it. Let me guess, he bought a Blitz bov (from what I've heard, the loudest one out there).

· Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So this guy is full of shit?
Ya i wasn't sure about the " o2 sensor " either.
WHat time's could he be running with this Possibly, i know it is kind of like mag racing but I'm curious... :)

G

·
a_peep said:
So this guy is full of shit?
Ya i wasn't sure about the " o2 sensor " either.
WHat time's could he be running with this Possibly, i know it is kind of like mag racing but I'm curious... :)
Actually, it's called bench racing. And no, I don't really care what he runs because there's nothing impressive about the list. Tell me he's got a Green, full 3", external dump, big Spearco, and standalone on C16 and I'd say low 11's.

I have a [email protected] timeslip from Atco. 14.4 is ass due to FWD launch skill (that's me), but my traps are up there. My mod list is in the for sale link in my sig. If I were to benchrace on these facts, I'd judge to say ~300hp and I should do 13.5 or better if I was able to launch a 1.8 60' time.

So uhh.. you said this guy had what for mods? sweet blow-off valve? :dontknow: :rolleyes: Dreamer...

· Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What a DONKEY

Stupid people I tell you, I don't know much about turbo's but now that I know he's full of shit I'm going to ask him for a time-slip! :laughing:

Typical Ricer, he's got a 18inch Aluminum Adjustable spoiler too. :shakehea:

Maybe that is what makes him run mid 13's.

Do you think I would have a chance if I raced him? :confused:

· Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll wait...

I'm going to tell him to race his brother's who has a 1997 Mustang GT 5spd. :spin: If that is close then I'll race him.

He's still retarded for talking shit though cause for the little I know about turbo's I ask if he had boost control or nitrous and he said no. Then he said I Didn't know what I was talking about because I told him I didn't even think that it was possible for him to hit high 13's with what he had. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.