Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
onecrazyfoo4u
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought an 03 Type S and the Air Conditioning isn't as cold as I think it should be. So I bought a refill can of r-134a and refilled the L, low port side of the A/C system. The gauge said it was only a little low, probably only took 1/4 can. It's okay to use these normal walmart refill cans right? Cause after I filled it, I saw the sticker in the engine bay that said use HCI-134a or something like that.

Then I noticed that my A/C condensor (radiator looking thing up front) is pretty beat up. The fins are smashed in on one side only, but still open on the other side. Could this be causing a problem with the A/C at all?

Also, when the A/C is on in the cabin you can hear a fairly loud purging sound every once in awhile, sounds like nitrous purging almost. It mainly happens when you push on the gas hard. Is this normal? Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
12 Posts
Check to be sure that you have the recirculating air control on "recirculate." It is easier to re-cool the inside air than to cool continuously incoming hot/humid outside air.

·
onecrazyfoo4u
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found that it actually works way worse to have the recirc button on. But that's just when the car's steaming hot inside....100+ days everyday here.

It actually works ice cold now, after charging it a bit, but I probably used less than 1/4 can of freon. It's okay to use the store bought R-134a refill right?

·
DC5 Krew
2,827 Posts
look down at the compressor when the ac is on and the car is running and see if the magnetic clutch is engaging and diseggaing and if the fins are bent that is ok but if the lines the are horizantal that the fins are attached to are beat up then no that is not good

1 - 4 of 4 Posts