Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hooked up the af guage by tapping into the 12v connection for power, found a ground, and i tapped into the white wire with red stripes in the ecu.....the gauge seems to be a little to jumpy - upon idle it will read rich, but right at the edge....upon full throttle it will jump from stoich to rich and when i fully let off of throttle it goes off the chart(lean)....what can i check besides the connections? thanks

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
It's supposed to constantly sweep back and forth. Autometer describes why it does what you say it does in their instructions they send. If you don't have autometer...their site tells you why it's jumpy. It's ok and it sounds like you set it up right. When I let off the throttle, it goes so lean sometimes that NO lights are on...this is normal and Autometer even says so in their directions. It's so jumpy b/c your ecu is constantly updating and fixing what it reads from the O2 sensor. If I had a vidcam, I would show you....but it really sounds like you hooked it up right. The only time you should be worried is when it stays at one light all the time and never moves. Then you know you hooked it up wrong.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
where do you guys connect the wire that goes in between the pcm and connector to the o2 sensor? (where is it in the car that you guys hooked up the gauge to)

·
K series tuning liberator
2,524 Posts
mine is actually hooked up to the O2 sensor harness right at the sensor it's self.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
RsxManJoe said:
I hooked up the af guage by tapping into the 12v connection for power, found a ground, and i tapped into the white wire with red stripes in the ecu.....the gauge seems to be a little to jumpy - upon idle it will read rich, but right at the edge....upon full throttle it will jump from stoich to rich and when i fully let off of throttle it goes off the chart(lean)....what can i check besides the connections? thanks
If you do some data logging, you will notice that A/F ratio doesn't stay constant. I don't know about "jumpy", but it can change very rapidly, which is what it is suppose to do.

When I go from WOT to slamming the throttle, I go from 10:1 AF to almost 30:1 AF and then it slowly dropped down to stoich. It is normal.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: a/f gauge problem

Bigbuyer2477 said:
If you do some data logging, you will notice that A/F ratio doesn't stay constant. I don't know about "jumpy", but it can change very rapidly, which is what it is suppose to do.

When I go from WOT to slamming the throttle, I go from 10:1 AF to almost 30:1 AF and then it slowly dropped down to stoich. It is normal.
isnt 30:1 too lean?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I have nothing to data log with.

connection: I made the connection at the ECU. I have no clue what color wire that is right now.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Re: Re: Re: a/f gauge problem

RsxManJoe said:
isnt 30:1 too lean?
Not when you are high idling at 4000 RPM with the throttle slammed shut. And we are talking about briefly, maybe for a very seconds until the RPM slows down again. This is very pronounced during the transition from WOT to closed throttle.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
today i took the car for a drive....at 750 rpms(idle) it was reading right between rich and stoich....upon normal acceleration it read mainly stoich......upon full throttle it went right to rich.....when i would fully let off the throttle the reading would go lean and then off the chart....

looks like everything is working properly......

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
no .. it still works fine its just that when you have a wideband its a lot quicker to respond to exactly what the a/f is instead of mabye being a little slower to read .. correct me if i'm wrong somebody but i think widebands are just more precise and faster measurments .. but the normal sensor is fine .. oh and one more quick question, what kind of o2 sensor do we have? the warmed one with 3 or 4 wires??

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 more question - does the o2 sensor hook up to the sensor on the exhaust?

what happens if i decide to disconnect the sensor from the cat? i know ill get a cel but any other issues? i got this hi flow cat with the 02 bung welded over and i want to use it

·
riiiiiiight
2,405 Posts
RsxManJoe said:
1 more question - does the o2 sensor hook up to the sensor on the exhaust?

what happens if i decide to disconnect the sensor from the cat? i know ill get a cel but any other issues? i got this hi flow cat with the 02 bung welded over and i want to use it
the sensor on the exhaust IS the O2 sensor...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
i know its supposed to jump around a lot (i've read up on what they should do), but is it normal for it to jump all the way down to very lean ? .. it goes strait to rich when i get on it, but when i'm just accelerationg lightly or speeding up with light throttle it is red .. that normal?

·
Registered
434 Posts
There's a huge problem using these Autometer (or similar) units on our cars. The gauges monitor voltage changes, but our car's computer measures changes in current. Last year, there were a few threads about the "proper" way to hook it up, but all agreed it was not a good way to gauge the AFR.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts