Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
460 Posts
Lay down on the driver's side floorboard and remove the bottom plastic panel. Have a 12mm open ended wrench ready and loosen the 12mm nut on the rod connected behind the clutch pedal. Spin that rod to thread OUT of the pedal arm to gain more pedal travel until you're satisfied with the friction point. I personally have it set about 1/2 of the way off the floor to start grabbing the friction point and have about 3/4 inch of free play at the top. You need that free play otherwise your throw out bearing will constantly be pressing on the pressure plate and cause premature wear.
Edit: Oh, and tighten that 12mm nut when you're done lol.
When I do this, my clutch is good for a good 3 weeks, but than it slowly wears back down where the clutch is on the floor. :mad:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Lay down on the driver's side floorboard and remove the bottom plastic panel. Have a 12mm open ended wrench ready and loosen the 12mm nut on the rod connected behind the clutch pedal. Spin that rod to thread OUT of the pedal arm to gain more pedal travel until you're satisfied with the friction point. I personally have it set about 1/2 of the way off the floor to start grabbing the friction point and have about 3/4 inch of free play at the top. You need that free play otherwise your throw out bearing will constantly be pressing on the pressure plate and cause premature wear.
Edit: Oh, and tighten that 12mm nut when you're done lol.
Hey BadAndy, I followed what you said to do and I got the catchpoint to where I want it, but my clutch slack/freeplay is still the same and I'd like it to have less freeplay because there's a lot and it just feels floppy, so is there something else I have to adjust for freeplay?

·
Registered
20 Posts
sorry to bring this thread up but did this help anyone? my clutch is floppy and i feel like i can push the pedal down with my fingers.

·
WEREWOLF
2 Posts
Idling in Neutral

when im idling in neutral with the clutch out there is a very slight kind of vibrating noise that will go away once the clutch engages and comes back when i let the clutch out.. it is definitely coming from the tranny to..
When you have your foot pressing DOWN on the clutch it is DISengaged. Therefore this "vibrating noise" would be happening when the clutch is engaged (no foot on pedal - clutch out). The transmission internals spin as its pressure plate is pressed together with the engines flywheel (although no gear is selected). It keeps fluid circulating inside the unit and generates a slight whirring noise. When you disengage the clutch the plates are separated so there is no driving force and the transmission stays silent.

However, a physical vibration indicates a problem - especially if it reverberates throughout the entire car!

·
WEREWOLF
2 Posts
When adjusting the rod behind your clutch pedal you are adjusting the "push" into the master cylinder. Obviously the further in it goes, the less you have to push down on the pedal in order for the clutch to disengage. When adjusting, turn the rod CLOCKWISE to push further into the master cylinder, thereby INCREASING the height of your disengagement point. Obviously counter-clockwise reduces the engagement point height.

Think of it as a mirror image. If you were looking from the cylinder side you would be turning it counter-clockwise to bring it closer to you, just like removing a screw.

Be sure to adhere to stock values and follow the full procedure as listed in the service manual! Dimensions are from the floorboard without consideration of insulation or carpeting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When adjusting the rod behind your clutch pedal you are adjusting the "push" into the master cylinder. Obviously the further in it goes, the less you have to push down on the pedal in order for the clutch to disengage. When adjusting, turn the rod CLOCKWISE to push further into the master cylinder, thereby INCREASING the height of your disengagement point. Obviously counter-clockwise reduces the engagement point height.

Think of it as a mirror image. If you were looking from the cylinder side you would be turning it counter-clockwise to bring it closer to you, just like removing a screw.

Be sure to adhere to stock values and follow the full procedure as listed in the service manual! Dimensions are from the floorboard without consideration of insulation or carpeting.
Sorry to bring this old thread back to life, but I'm still confused on how to turn this mofo. Based on me lying the floor facing up to the clutch pushrod and locknut...which way to turn the rod to make the clutch disengage at a higher point off the floor? dang engagement height is too low.

Update: Ok I guess I can’t lie on the floor to do this cause of all the pedals in the way, so I’m basically facing the pedal In an awkward position lol. From this point of view which way do I turn the rod..to the left or to the right to adjust the disengagement height from off the floor? basically when the clutch grabs the flywheel

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dang I turned the rod too much clockwise and it popped off. I had to re thread it back counter clockwise. It’s all good now. Height is at mid point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 28 of 28 Posts