Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
iRide
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..FUCK.

It's about 10:40pm, getting ready to close shop and go home from work, been there since 1:30pm - not a biggie; I'm not the 1st nor last person to work 50+ hour weeks.

I get a txt from my girl saying, 'I need to talk to you it's urgent.' I swear my heart sank and I thought this was it I'm having a baby. So I cruise on over to her place, we sit down and she's in tears. I have a confused look on my face, and she beings to tell me how much she doesn't want me to get a bike because my risk of injury/death will increase.

Here's what's throwing me off! When we went to the dealer, there was no objection there - and she was enthused more than I.

So it's come to a point where she thinks the bike is going to interfere between our relationship; I'd rather convince her that I can do both - but if it comes down to it I'm going to pick the bike over her.

Consider this a vent/advice post.

What would you do?

·
stay classy south jersey
507 Posts
tell her you'll take the safety course, always wear the gear, be careful.. etc. If she was THAT against you getting a bike she wouldn't have gone to the dealership with you in the first place, she just got spooked.

·
Flying Cat
1,406 Posts
Lmao, might as well post pics here, everyone will be asking. Ask yourself this, do you see yourself as a biker in the long run, yeah she might be caring but just convince her you'll be wearing leathers and do all that safety shit, just tell her you won't be poppin wheeleys and stupid stuff (even if you do or don't, just as long as she doesn't find out).

·
MY OTHER RIDE IS A VETTE
8,922 Posts

·
Retired OG
100,339 Posts
Just tell her, "I'm a responsible adult and I can handle myself, if you care so much about me, you'd want me to be happy right? Don't try to control me, that's not love, it's douchebaggery"

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts
Ive said this time and time again and ill say it again. Idc if your valentino rossi, you could be the greatest, safest, most agile, pay attention everywhere, have a camera behind your bike and still end up dead.

I have the cycle world magazine with an article called "21steps to not being a noob". One of the numbers says 8 out of 10 times your invisible to cars, thats happened to me more then 8 times already.

I mean hell look what happened to that 23yr old on the track, he died on the track, according to some people on here its the safest place to ride a moto.

Yes it is dangerous, i could ride to work and never make it there (almost happened last week too).

But if you've already decided that your gonna pick the gf over the bike then so be it, but unless uve only been with her a couple months id say fuck it. A couple years then its different.

·
MY OTHER RIDE IS A VETTE
8,922 Posts
Just tell her, "I'm a responsible adult and I can handle myself, if you care so much about me, you'd want me to be happy right? Don't try to control me, that's not love, it's douchebaggery"
tell us how u really feel Nick lol.

Welcome to the world of relationships. it's always going to be one thing or another. Negotiate, communicate and COMPROMISE. how bout i try it out for six mnths and only ride back roads etc etc and we can make a decision after that. just make sure watever u promise u r willing to do or not do.

she has her pts and feelings which are valid and u have yours which r valid. Invaliding each's others fears and/or wants will do neither of u any good. It comes down to how bad u want something and if what ever it is a deal breaker for either of u. u can replace the noun bike with where to live, vac, how to spend money, how many kids, a house or apt, minivan or rsx. so this is good practice for the really important stuff in a relationship.

Dr Anima is in the house lol.

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
5,574 Posts
lmao @ you picking the bike over her. If you really feel that way maybe you shouldn't be with her at all. It sounds like a reasonable thing to me, you can't really blame her for being concerned.
lol, thats what i was thinking. I love my bikes, but if i had to choose one or the other, i would always go with my fiancee.

Dont ride on the streets. Stick to the track. Much safer :)

·
Master Member
7,358 Posts
This is the reason I put off my bike purchase this summer. My gf didn't so much flip shit as she did have a border line emotional break down (which, as you bitches know, is far worse than just screaming at us..btw, no offense meant with 'bitches'). Anyway, I gave her the whole, I'm responsible yadda yadda and she told me what we all know (but suspect out significant others don't). "It's not you I worry about. It's everyone else on the road".

Well then there I was with the truth staring me right in the face. I bit the bullet and told her I would hold off until at least next summer. The way I look at it is if a relationship is going to end with someone I really and truly care about, I don't want something as stupid as my buying a motorcycle to be the reason why.

OP, I suggest you make your own decision on this as there are factors at work here that people on this board aren't aware of (i.e. how your relationship really is). Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts