Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I do it I plan on taking pictures. I work all weekend but I plan on going to buy some grinding wheels and cutting them down 1.5mm on each side ASAP.
I am getting ready to do the A-spec install next Wednesday on my 2003 EP3. I ordered the 08W60-S6M-200A kit from Curry. I also ordered the Tie Rod Ends and nuts and pins.

I understand that it is necessary to grind on the bottom of the rear strut so that it will fit in the rear trailing arm.

There was also some discussion about grinding down one of the bushings (1.5mm on each side being ideal). Which bushing requires the grinding?

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am getting ready to do the A-spec install next Wednesday on my 2003 EP3. I ordered the 08W60-S6M-200A kit from Curry. I also ordered the Tie Rod Ends and nuts and pins.

I understand that it is necessary to grind on the bottom of the rear strut so that it will fit in the rear trailing arm.

There was also some discussion about grinding down one of the bushings (1.5mm on each side being ideal). Which bushing requires the grinding?

Thanks!
Does anyone have any advice / tips? Shorten the strut? Any other adjustments to make the rear struts/springs fit the EP3. Grind on one of the bushings?:confused:

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
the bushing in the bottom of the shock...the one where the lower shock bolt slids through...the bushing is soft metal, I cut mine in about 3 minutes with a hacksaw...a angle grinder would be even faster.

·
Registered
56 Posts
nice to see a fellow EP3 member that lives 10 min away from me. I'm debating whether to get Aspec or go with the coilover route. I'm in the snow belt (Michigan) but this car will be strictly summer car only. Nice ideas guys.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A spec on EP3

its #25....they are talking inside dia, I am talking socket size.
Hi guys, found this back & forth searching through the forum...just picked up a lightly used (10k) Aspec RSX suspension & am about to order the necessary components to make it work in the EP. Can I get a final tally on needed parts from that acura parts sheet (http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2006&catcgry3=3DR+BASE&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=P.S.+GEAR+BOX&vinsrch=no&ListAll=All)

I need x2 #10, x2 #19, x2 #25 & x2 #26? And then it's all gravy?

Appreciate it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Installed the A-Spec kit this weekend to replace the OE struts and H&R Sportlines the previous owner had installed. Everything went well it seemed. Even with the difficulties of getting the rear struts in.

Drove it around the block to feel the difference in the ride and see how bad the alignment was going to be (BAD!). Love the ride. Far better than the over lowered setup.

Took it into have the alignment done. Just going with a stock alignment for now till I can find a shop that will do a custom alignment for reasonable price. They can't seem to get the toe adjusted far enough to bring in within spec. There tech thinks I somehow got the wrong tie rod ends. I suppose this is possible since I ordered Beck/Arnley instead of the pricier Acura/Honda ones, but I'm not convinced.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what I should look for to solve this?

Would someone have swapped out the inner rods for longer ones when it was lowered to compensate for the steep angle of the steering?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Never mind. I got the car back this morning and the previous owner had put one of those 0857 Steering Brackets.

He did all this stuff "right" and yet ran the car dropped on OE struts. My brain hurts.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sometimes, I get lucky! :bow:

Aspec is 650. Throw in someone else doing the grinding and it's what, $700? (or do it yourself and save the money). That's then a $200 savings, or 4 sets of Mugen license plate bolts. :rain:

I have no complaints about the Apsec kit, and have no idea of the exact specs and advantages of the Mugen SS kit, so it may be worth ponying up the additional cabbage, but since it's a Mugen product, I have my doubts.

·
Registered
113 Posts
From what I have read around those with the Mugen are happy with it, it is just a bit stiffer than OEM and have progressive springs, not sure if a spec has progressive springs. For me its convenient to install a product out of the box without additional mods or work and since I do the work myself that is a plus. The SS was well developed for the EP3 application taking into account the uniques issues with our suspension geometry. If I cannot get a set at a good price the a spec will be a good option but I would probably end up buying a new set of EP3 bushings to go with it and that adds to the cost, I hate to grind stuff down

181 - 200 of 213 Posts