Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was wondering, has anyone here bought an A-spec suspension but replaced the springs? For example...replacing it with comptech lowering springs so it would be .5in lower? does that damage the shocks? is camber kit needed? Is there even a good point doing this? Sorry guys really new with RSX just got mine 30 days ago.

the reason i asked is 2 different people are selling me the Aspec suspension and the springs...for a good price

Thanks for the response...

·
Mamimi
6,024 Posts
The a-spec dampers are not made for those really low springs so they probably will wear out just like the stock ones will. Might as well go coil-overs.

·
GT30R > Traction
3,829 Posts
any time you drop your car over an inch you should buy at least a rear camber kit. I would think that you could install lower springs but your shocks will still go becouse the stock aren't valved to deal with the increased load of progressively wound springs as well as it being lower.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info...i guess saving up for a coilover set is really the way to go...thanks this was really helpful.

·
Mercy is for the weak!
2,825 Posts
I think you'll be fine having it operate .5 inches lower then the regular springs, thats within the limit its built for, seriously if you have a 200lb passanger and some shit in your trunk it will lower it .5 inches and it works fine. Granted it might cut the life of the shocks shorter but beign oem I bet they would last a few years.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
A spring is NOT characterized solely by how much it can lower; spring rates are crucial. Obviously, the A-spec damper is mated to the A-spec spring, which has a spring rate, which is progressive, I believe. (Another reason why you shouldn't pair stock shocks with linear rated springs.) Just because your shocks won't "blow," doesn't mean you are running an optimized set-up, which will yield good handling. It's not surprising that most people in the suspension forum have no idea WTF they are talking about. BTW, a camber kit is always a good idea, even if you are running stock shocks/dampers. Optimizing your alignment can, sometimes, be more beneficial than upgrading springs/shocks.

·
Slow in Fast out
2,884 Posts
A hydraulic damper simply absorbs the enormous kinetic energy from the spring. Most, if not all, "lowering springs" have higher spring rates than stock. When you increase the spring rate noticeably you also need to increase the valving and this is where the stock damper fails. Its very easy to notice insufficient damping.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
On this topic, would you need a camber kit for the aspec suspension since it only drops it 1"? Would it really make a difference on the tread life, since it's such a mild drop?

·
Registered
14,880 Posts
im one of them selling them for a good price....

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
On this topic, would you need a camber kit for the aspec suspension since it only drops it 1"? Would it really make a difference on the tread life, since it's such a mild drop?
Wow, did you read what I said? It WON't effect tire life; toe is the major tire killer, anyway. However, running more negative camber on the front, and less in the rear will do wonders for your handling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts