Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was reading through a post and saw Mustclime write this and I
The K Honda's need the trans oil changed often...I do mine ever 20,000 miles these days....old Honda gear boxes had lots of sleeve bearings, these newer ones have roller bearings everywhere, they put a lot more wear and tear on the oil and when the oil goes, they your syncrose do not work worth a dam.
So I bought the car back in October 11' with 46k miles on it and when I did get it, it had/has a slight grind between 2nd and 3rd at high RPM's "spirited driving" only as I do not have previous records of maintenance done to the car I want to do this asap so my question is what type of fluid should I use i.e. manufacture, weight that kinda stuff I know I should go by manufacture's recommendations but not always as we can see with cam galling and having to give it a heavier oil weight. thanks in advance

·
Master DIY'er in training
1,630 Posts
I was reading through a post and saw Mustclime write this and ISo I bought the car back in October 11' with 46k miles on it and when I did get it, it had/has a slight grind between 2nd and 3rd at high RPM's "spirited driving" only as I do not have previous records of maintenance done to the car I want to do this asap so my question is what type of fluid should I use i.e. manufacture, weight that kinda stuff I know I should go by manufacture's recommendations but not always as we can see with cam galling and having to give it a heavier oil weight. thanks in advance
Go to Honda and pick up some tranny fluid from them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I always thought that syncromesh was bad for K series, because its just too thin for our tyranny.. Correct me if I'm wrong though :confused:

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

·
Master DIY'er in training
1,630 Posts
I heard that it is too thin but other people use it and it works fine. I'll prolly use it next time I change the fluid

·
College Student
93 Posts
do you fellas think thins gear oil is appropriate for an oil change within our cars?
75W-90

I've done a search on their site and they recommend using this 75W-80

I'm just curious because a co-worker gave it to me as he doesn't have a standard car anymore and would hate to see it wasted. It's 15 bucks a liter!

·
Potatos are delicious
801 Posts
do you fellas think thins gear oil is appropriate for an oil change within our cars?
75W-90

I've done a search on their site and they recommend using this 75W-80

I'm just curious because a co-worker gave it to me as he doesn't have a standard car anymore and would hate to see it wasted. It's 15 bucks a liter!
Are you talking changing the transmission fluid? If so only use Honda mtf, our transmission/gear oil is very thin like 5w20 motor oil thick stuff won't be able to lube the syncs and top end of the trans. I've used others like amsoil and pens syncromesh only to run back to the Honda mtf fluid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i bought my car with 73,000 miles about a month ago, the owner said he has never changed the oil either. could this be the reason for the shifting being a little hard to go into gear. also it sometimes now doesn't go into gear, it will pretty much almost shut off if i try hard enough to put into gear. any suggestions? thanks-vincent

·
Registered
978 Posts
you better hope he wassnt the first owner since he never changed the oil

on engines oil becomes sluge and keeps the parts from moving
this is an expensive fix, pretty mch like rebuilding an engine

oil tranny, im not sure, but i thnk its the same think

from what u say of the car shuttin off when u try hard enough im guessin the oil is so thick that prevents the movin parts from movin = stops everythin

you should take it to a mechanic as soon as you can

before u car stops moving

but i might be wrong :dontknow:

·
Registered
671 Posts
It's not over 2 qts. I always buy 2 qts Honda MTF, and use about 1.7-1.8. whoever said they got anywhere up to or over 2qts rest assured it overflowed and spilled out.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Not sure about the Acura MTF. Although common logic would think it's ok, there's a reason manual calls for Honda MTF. Maybe difference in oil viscosity. How much of it did you buy...maybe you can get away with using it, but if you notice anything funny I'd drain it out and use Honda MTF. I remember I used highly recommend mobil 1 and for some reason my tranny didn't like it, felt really sticky and hard to shift, so I immediately drained and used Honda, and have been using it ever since. Just my $0.02

1 - 19 of 19 Posts