Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
M4E/L4L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone. I have a 2004 RSX base. Recently the ABS pump began kicking on at every braking when the car slows to about 5-7 mph. I brought it to the dealer. The ABS light does not come on (except on startup, so the bulb works). Acura dealer techs (3 of them) ran their tests and found no codes and found every component is working correctly (from wheel sensors to the modulator). Anyone have or has had this problem? Someone told me it could be the ignition switch. It seems to work fine but once in a while I hear what sounds like an "arc" sound when I turn the key. Have not noticed any ill effects though.

·
Bighavic
37 Posts
Sounds like a magnetic encoder is bad (magnet on the wheel bearing). Hope this works good finding out which one. Acura should have a special tool for those bearing.

·
M4E/L4L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding, bighavic. It turned out to be something very simple and it proves aftermarket Chinese stuff is crap. The guy who owned the car before me told me he changed the sensor and still had the ABS light. Bought it off ebay. He took it a local shade tree mechanic who looked into it and discovered the teeth were shorn off the wheel abs ring (?). Told him it'd be too expensive to fix. I bought it and brought it to the dealer and they replaced the ring but it was still showing the abs light. They told me the entire system was showing ok when they put it on the computer and figured the abs computer was going bad. Wanted $2,000 for a new computer. I had a suspicion that it was that wheel sensor from China. I ordered a used sensor from a junkyard in Alabama that had a 2004 RSX Base with 36,000 on it (a tree fell on it during a storm rendering it useless for driving. sad). He sent me a picture of the part and it looked like new and he said it was OEM so I sent him $20.00. When I got it I went back to Acura and said "Here. Try this." They said $200.00 to install. I said ok if it doesn't work, but no charge if it does. Service manager said ok. Mechanic checked and confirmed it was OEM. He put it on and everyone at the dealer was shocked that it worked perfectly. It didn't cost me a dime and they bought me lunch to boot. Moral of the story, buy a good used genuine part rather than new stuff from China (unless it's for a Chinese car of course, lol).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts