Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
NA Today
1,501 Posts
It seems like y'all are talking about two different things now. A/C on but coolant below temp. threshold only the condenser fan will run, right? But A/C off and coolant above a different, higher, coolant temp. threshold and both fans run, correct?

·
2002 EBP RSX 5m w/Leather
294 Posts
AC compressor fan is on continuously

So, I have no idea how long this has been going on, but, the AC compressor fan (on the radiator, passenger's side) comes on with the ignition turned to on and stays on, running continuously, first cold start of the day or hot, heat on/off, ac on/off, all off, nothing changes this.

Long story short, I had changed out the radiator and was doing the routine to burp the cooling system, and I ran the car at idle, (AC fan is on), waiting for the radiator fan (driver's side) to come on, and it never came on, not once in almost 40 minutes, but the AC fan ran constantly.

Everything works fine, hot heat, cold AC, temp goes up to just below half way point, everything seems fine, (temps low 60s/high 80s). I took it for a short test drive and everything's good.

Is this normal behavior? I'm guessing the radiator fan won't come on with that AC fan on all the time unless I'm out driving for a while (w/load on the engine).

I don't think I've ever paid much attention to the fans before, (car never runs hot), so, not sure if this is new or normal behavior. I switched the relays for the AC/radiator fans no change, relays should be good. Fuses are good. Took the relay out for the AC fan, it didn't run. I'm guessing there isn't just one on/off switch for the AC condenser fan, (like the radiator fan), but, the ECM "decides" if it should be on?

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
294 Posts
That does not sound like normal operation. If you're looking to fix it, you might start by diagnosing the Radiator fan switch circuit using the process outlined on 10-16 (page 287) of the service manual or possibly the Radiator and A/C Condenser fan circuit using the process outlined on 21-35 (page 1625) of the service manual: http://http://www.mediafire.com/file/dwm2qkmzy2n/%28LINKED+Edition%2902-06+Acura+RSX+Shop+Manual.pdf
I drove the car, (for quite a while, lots of short stops), in humid 80s weather yesterday, the car did not get hot, the reserve coolant tank stayed at maximum, where it was at at beginning of day, I think the radiator fan is working fine.

I glanced at the manual for the AC condenser fan, but, it was all about if it's not working.

I will say, the AC compressor was replaced less than 2 years ago, (not a honda part).

Does anyone know what sensors or factors determine turning the AC condenser fan on? :dontknow:

·
Registered
393 Posts
It sounds to me like something failed somewhere in that circuit and it either failed to keeping the AC condenser fan on all the time or someone hardwired the fan to be on all of the time. In either case you should step through the diagnostics procedures, then report back on what you did or did not find.

·
294 Posts
I ran the self diagnostics on the climate control (pg 21-8/1598), no DTCs there, so, that should eliminate any faulty sensors.

At a glance I don't see any hardwiring, I don't have a voltmeter, so, I'll have to get in there/under the car and check the wiring.

I am wondering if I should check my grounds.

>Also, in relation to the OP and this thread: in going through troubleshooting pg 21-10/1600, I noticed that this is listed as a symptom: "Both fans do not run with the A/C on", so, I guess both fans should be on when you turn on the A/C, even if the engine is cold?

·
294 Posts
Ok, so, I checked over the wiring to make sure everything is connected and such, but, I don't have a voltmeter to test the wiring, however, I did try a couple things:

1) I took out the relay for the AC condenser fan, ran the engine idle, both fans not running, it didn't get hot, radiator fan did not come on. So, I ran the engine at 3000 rpm, temp needle went up to middle, radiator fan still did not come on, ran it at 3000 rpm more until the temp needle went up to 3/4 toward H, radiator fan did not come on, I didn't want it to overheat so I put the relay back in and the AC condenser fan cooled it down.

2) I unplugged the radiator fan switch (at bottom of radiator). The AC condenser fan did not run with ignition on, HVAC off. It did turn on with the AC on, but, the radiator fan did not come on with it. (So, normal behavior for the AC condenser fan with the radiator fan switch disconnected.)

So, I don't know if I have one issue or two. I changed the radiator (& hoses, & thermostat), the old radiator fan switch wouldn't budge off the old radiator, I picked a new one up at an auto parts store, it's a BWD TF S600P, either it's defective or the wrong one. I just don't know if this is the only issue, since the radiator fan should come on with the AC and it did not with the rad. fan switch disconnected. Maybe it's all just a wiring issue, (the switch could be good, or maybe it's both), the cup holder light used to come on and off, now it's out, (not the bulb, the wiring), and I replaced my headlight assembly, used two LED bulbs for the parking lights...one blew, which I thought was strange, in troubleshooting, the other LED would not light in that socket, put the old bulb in and it would flicker when touching the wire, so another wire issue, but, this one has to do with pulling on the wire with the new headlight assembly, (the wire barely reaches). So, I'm just thinking the age of the car, being in the south heat most of it's life, the wiring is likely a culprit.

·
294 Posts
1)
I deducted that the radiator fan might not be working at all, so...

pg 10-4/275, Fan Motor Test, I disconnected the radiator fan at the 2P connector, wired it directly to the battery and nothing, so, this is 99.9% dead fan motor, replace it, right?

2)
I still have the AC condenser fan running constantly (with ignition on). When I disconnected the radiator fan switch, the AC condenser fan ran properly, (radiator fan still not working).
>>So, without a volt meter to test the wiring, is this definitely the switch or could it be the wiring?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hmmm, I would get a good radiator fan, since that seems to be toast, and see if all works as expected. Could be a safety measure that if radiator fan fails it throughs the AC condenser fan into the state you've encountered.

·
294 Posts
This is what I was thinking, when I get the part, I'll let you know what happens.

·
294 Posts
It sounds to me like something failed somewhere in that circuit and it either failed to keeping the AC condenser fan on all the time or someone hardwired the fan to be on all of the time. In either case you should step through the diagnostics procedures, then report back on what you did or did not find.
I was hoping this was the case, however, I got the replacement fan motor and hooked it up, yes it works, so, the old one was dead, but, both fans come on with the ignition on, HVAC on or off. If I unplug the radiator fan switch then both fans turn off when AC is off, both fans turn on with AC on. :):( (half fixed) :(:)

So, my question is, has anyone else replaced the Radiator Fan Switch with the BWD TF S600P? I got it at the local auto parts store, (not a store brand, available at more than one), so, I am wondering if this is the wrong switch or if I have a dud. If it's the correct switch and defective I can go to the same auto parts store for an exchange, I just don't want to waste time and hours doing this if it's the wrong switch altogether. (Or are you all too smart and get the honda part?)

I am now going to replace the radiator fan motor, hope to hear from someone. (So, no I have not tested with the car warmed up, but, current symptoms indicate a problem with the radiator fan switch.)

·
294 Posts
...I forgot to follow up on this...

So I installed a Honda branded* Radiator Fan Switch, and, after having already replaced the radiator fan motor, now it all works as it should :thumbsup:. The radiator fan comes on and off properly when engine coolant is getting hot, both come on with the A/C on, and neither are on with A/C off and engine cold.

So, the BWD TF S600P switch :thumbsdow I got from local auto parts store was either wrong or defective (see my comments above). I'm not sure anymore what I can get from these auto parts stores that say they have correct replacement parts, it's not worth saving the $ if it's not going to work and I have to do the labor all over again like here :banghead:.

*(from acuraoemparts.com, the one that gives us clubrsx members a little discount),

·
294 Posts
when you check out you'll see "Have a discount code? Click here>" click on it, then enter clubrsx for promo code (no space), you'll get 5% off. They also have better shipping rates than other places, at least, in my experience.

·
294 Posts
...I even got 5% off my A-spec suspension kit (08W60-S6M-200A)

·
Registered
10 Posts
...I forgot to follow up on this...

So I installed a Honda branded* Radiator Fan Switch, and, after having already replaced the radiator fan motor, now it all works as it should 👍. The radiator fan comes on and off properly when engine coolant is getting hot, both come on with the A/C on, and neither are on with A/C off and engine cold.
This thread was quite an interesting read lol My fans are acting weird as you described so since a new switch resolved it for you I'm gonna try it soon. Thanks for reporting back.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts