Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, RSX fans. I plan on purchasing an RSX-S within a week. I am contemplating what options to install on or in it. It appears that the Acura dealerships are charging quite a bit for a rear wing spoiler and set of fog lights (about $900-$1200 for them). I do plan on spending about $1000 on cosmetic (non-performance enhancing) accessories. But given the outrageous prices that the dealers want coupled with limited selection, I might go aftermarket.

What do you think and what gadgets would augment this car's styling? I noticed that many of you indicate your aftermarket purchases in your signature. How much have you spent and where did you get your work done? Are there any national chain stores you'd recommend (e.g. Pep Boys), auto body shop, or a local mechanic? What other Websites sell good quality, compatible, and reliable RSX accessories cheaply or is ClubRSX.com the best?

If you know of specialty auto customizing stores in NJ, I'd also appreciate that. Thanks.

·
Registered
903 Posts
the dealer tried charging like 900 for the fogs after install and such which is absolutely rediculous. u said ur in jersey, and i'm not sure where you are, but if you're northeast try xtreme audio and cellular. the number is 908-232-5955 and they're in westfield. i've personally never bought anything there (since i don't have my car yet) but when i doo that's where i'm going. they wanted 300 total for install / purchase of piaa 1400x fogs which you may want to look in to. but basically clubrsx.com is the best place to get stuff, awesome prices and reliable

-stek

·
Registered
113 Posts
By the way, if you do go through an Acura dealership, you should definitely call all the dealerships in your state that you'd consider driving to. I live in VA, and it seems like all the dealerships have way different prices for stuff like the factory spoiler and shiftknob.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, these dealers all seem to charge a different price for the various accessories. Probably b/c labor rates and profit expectations vary between the dealers. I think I will go w/ aftermarket for the cosmetic accessories - it's cheaper and one has a better selection.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stekson

Thanks for your reply. I am in South Jersey. I went through the yellow pages and this one place in Delran called Auto FX seemed pretty good (at least over the phone). The guy who answered said fog lights run $75 - $300 and installation is $45/hr. for accessories bought through them or $60/hr. if bought elsewhere. I'll keep you suggestion of the 1400 fog lights in mind.

On a related note, I noted that ClubRSX.com is selling ITR-styled rear wing spoilers for RSXs:
http://store.clubrsx.com/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CR&Category_Code=ARSXBKRWS

What is the difference between:
JDM Type R Rear Wing Spoiler
and
Club RSX Type R Rear Wing Replica - Unpainted
besides almost $400? Why would anyone go for the JDM when the replica looks like the real thing and costs much less? Also, can it come w/ the LED brake light that the OEM RSX spoiler lacks?

·
Retired
13,573 Posts
1) There is a quality difference between the two wings. Up to you which way you'd want to go. I think saving $400 is worth the risk.

2) You don't want the LED. The hatch already has a brake light in it, I think you'd wreck it with another one. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brake light

Yes, I agree that putting a redundant brake light would look awkward. However, I'd ask the aftermarket installer to disable the hatch's brake light and only enable the LED on the rear wing spoiler. IMHO, it makes the spoiler look more sophisticated. That's how the OEM spoiler came on my '99 Integra, and that's why I was upset when Acura got rid of the brake light on its OEM spoiler.

BTW, please pardon this newbie question, but what does "JDM" stand for? Is that the name of the company that makes the Integra Type R replica spoiler?

·
Registered
368 Posts
JDM = Japanese Domestic Market. Its not a company, it just means that it came from japan. The JDM type-r spoiler is a spoiler actually made by Honda for the japanese RSX-R(called integra type-r over there still). Since they don't sell it over here you have to get it from japan.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Other Options

Thanks for giving me the heads-up on JDM! I knew that the Integra Type-R is still being made in Japan, but doesn't it have the Honda badge, not Acura? I really like how that Type-R spoiler looks. It's not snobbishly high (still below the roof-line), but much more attractive than the OEM rear wing spoiler.

Anyway, I'm pretty convinced I'll add aftermarket spoiler, foglights, and rear window tinting. (I think the side quarter windows are already tinted.) Do you recommend I get the titanium interior and Al shift knob options from the dealer? They respectively cost around $280 and $72.

I plan to get the desert silver exterior, but unfortunately, it only comes with "titanium" interior (which is misnamed; it's a tan shade, not gray/silver). I don't know if the all that silver highlighting would good w/ the tan seats. I know it would look very good in the ebony (black) interior. And the aluminum shift knob - any added value there in terms of styling? Thanks again!

·
28,748 Posts
if you want some cheap accesories that look awesome, there are a few.
1- Buy heat-resistant paint (flat Black,glossy black, blue, red,etc.) and paint your headlight housings. Cost: $10-20

2- Buy transparent vinyl (look around for better types - in this forum, there are many instructions, where to buy,etc.) and cover the amber signal light on the tailight. Looks sweet.
Cost: $2-7

3- Stickers -Not they Type R stickers buy i-vtec, etc.
Cost: $10+

4- Badges- Type S badges that you can stick on your grill or interior or wherever you please.
Cost: $5-7

5- Partial/Full debadging- remove the ACURA RSX TYPE S writing, even the "a" emblems.
Cost: Free (Partial- just the writing)
Cost: :dontknow: (Everything)

6- Red Emblem - Removing the stock 'A' logo and replace it with a coloured one (Only "h" logo available so far)

Cost: $30-60 (The cheap ones that sometimes dye out -its a pun:) , the cheap ones change colour after a long while in the sun-and the JDM's, great quality)

Total Cost: Around 100 if you get the best of everything.
Total look: Priceless:D Sorry, couldn't resist.

·
28,748 Posts
stekson said:
the dealer tried charging like 900 for the fogs after install
WTF! Its around 700 installed CDN:shakehea:

Oh yeah, instead of a OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) rear spoiler, you can get an erebuni spoiler or WingsWest replica for a lot cheaper. There are also other spoilers for the rsx like the Type R as you said and the WingsWest "race spoiler"

Check www.wingswest.com
and www.erebunicorp.com

·
Registered
368 Posts
i wouldn't get the titanium kit if i were you, but you can show interest in it at the dealership and sometimes they will throw it in for free! The titanium knob feels better then the stock one but it gets hot in the sun and cold in the cold.. its all taste. I would tint all the windows, and no the rear windows aren't tinted any darker then any of the other windows (the windows come ever so slightly tinted from the factory to reduce the sunshine from making everything very hot) They just ook darker because there isn't as much light coming out of there as in the front windows, making it appear darker...

So get 35% tint or darker all around. Red out your tailights, it looks alot better. And get the type-r spoiler replica for like $315 painted.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
crazy_canuck, thanks for the links. I also really like the third Wings West spoiler (RSX 2002 TYPE S SPOILER NO LIGHT W/SIGNATURE "W" STAINLESS STEEL END CAPS). $357 is a little pricey - I'm assuming that includes paint matching?

Focus4, I know the all-titanium highlighting would look awesome in black interior, but apparently the jury's out for a tan interior. I'll ask the dealer if he can come down, but I doubt it since Acura overcharges for OEM parts in general. Besides, I'm already working the dealer pretty hard for a good out-the-door price (w/o options). $70 isn't bad for the Al shifter, so maybe I'll splurge on it.:dontknow:

·
Registered
90 Posts
beowulf, what dealer are you getting it from and how's their price relative to invoice? i'm looking to buy soon if i can get a decent insurance rate. i think redding out the tails is well worth it along w/ blacking out the headlights. i also want desert silver and would like the trim kit, yet think it wouldn't look right either. i probably wouldn't pay what the dealers are asking, way too much. i think there are threads of aftermarket trim kits that seem better. good luck.

·
28,748 Posts
beowulf7 said:
crazy_canuck, thanks for the links. I also really like the third Wings West spoiler (RSX 2002 TYPE S SPOILER NO LIGHT W/SIGNATURE "W" STAINLESS STEEL END CAPS). $357 is a little pricey - I'm assuming that includes paint matching?
No probs. But no, it's not painted if I am not mistaken. 357 is a few hundred cheaper than the OEM but it is more than the Replica type r wing.
I think i'll get the W/W on instead of the repilca. They are too popular. These look cool:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nj_nor m

I'm getting deals for about $300 over invoice (in the $21,900s) for the RSX-S. A couple dealers are also throwing in the wheel locks and floor mats for free. Another one is instead giving mud guards and cargo net.

·
Check Neg Crew Lives On..
9,456 Posts
Beowulf7,
I'm from Southern Jersey and I might be able to offer some quick assistance. First.....There are a few *good* auto customizing stores around here. The best would probably be either Cartoyz in Pleasantville, or One Stop in Northfield. Secondly.....If you are still buying, try Sussman in Northfield they were really great with me. Also, buy a CLUBRSX sticker that way if I see other members around, I can give a good wave.:thumbsup:

·
9,456 Posts
Also,
Here's what the titanium trim interior looks like on the Titanium colored interior from my RSX.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
great deals beowulf, can't ask for much more i guess.

scrappy, are you pretty content w/ the titanium? it looks better than how i pictured it. thanks for the pic.

·
9,456 Posts
nj_norm said:
scrappy, are you pretty content w/ the titanium? it looks better than how i pictured it. thanks for the pic.
Yeah, I like it alot, it really dresses up the interior without it being too much. The dealer gave me a good deal on it, so why not. I am attaching a pic of my car, as requested for beowulf, or anybody else who wants to see it. :laughing:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts