Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can some of you guys tell me how you had the patience to save for your kit under tight circumstances? I just feel like I'm never going to get there man. I spend roughly 2 hours a day reading up on the boards, learning, cheering for those that accomplish their goals, etc. and another 30-45 minutes staring at my car during my morning cup of coffee + smoke getting butterflies in my stomach thinking about putting down 300hp. Before I go to sleep my car is the last thing I think about and when I wake up most of the time my brain starts kicking around ideas for my car.

I just don’t see how I'm going to come up with the cash man, I'm obsessed. I'm married with child and home which is in need of renovation. I do occasionally pick up freelance work (I'm a multimedia developer) but that goes into the house most of the time. I can’t really argue with that though, I mean a few grand comes in from freelance and what shall my wife and I do... remodel a badly needed area of the house or dump it into my car. Its common sense for me, I don’t fight my wife on it... the fact is I'll never see financial gains on my car like we will the house so its not a big deal but anyhow I just don’t know how this is going to happen.

The only option I see is to really save like every extra penny I have, I'm thinking about starting up a dedicated car savings account. I just don’t think I'll have the patience to do this; this could take me a few years! I've NEVER had to save a few years for something. How did you guys do it? Not the single guys who have spare cash to dump into your cars, I was there a few years ago and didn't have issues: o ). I'm talking about you guys w/ serious responsibilities. What kept you going?

Thanks everyone!
-m

· Registered
29 Posts
...well, it's not the most "responsible" thing to do, but there is a rumor that CN is going to offer the option to finance your turbo :dontknow: by the way, when i quit smoking I saved about $100 - $200 dollars a month!! :thumbsup:

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah quitting smoking is a huge priority right now, I know I'd save money. We have very strong credit but financing a CN stage 1 kit wouldn't be smart for me. IMO financing any aftermarket part isn't smart. I know I'm limiting my options but I cant pull a personal loan or rack my cc up w/ stuff. I think I'm just coming to the realization that I'll have to save for a year or two. It's just so much easier to endulge in this when your not a homeowner, have children, and an extremely logical wife who thinks I'm nuts for dumping money into the cars. She's got an 03 jetta and she thinks I'm nuts cause' I want to hook her up with a neuspeed chip + intake, thats an easy 25-30hp gain across the band combined for roughly 350 bucks. To me thats excellent bang for the buck, to her its crazy when we need a new fridge know what i mean :eek:). I'd MUCH rather be faster, handle better then have a pretty fridge haha.

-m

· Registered
734 Posts
figit said:
Yeah quitting smoking is a huge priority right now, I know I'd save money. We have very strong credit but financing a CN stage 1 kit wouldn't be smart for me. IMO financing any aftermarket part isn't smart. I know I'm limiting my options but I cant pull a personal loan or rack my cc up w/ stuff. I think I'm just coming to the realization that I'll have to save for a year or two. It's just so much easier to endulge in this when your not a homeowner, have children, and an extremely logical wife who thinks I'm nuts for dumping money into the cars. She's got an 03 jetta and she thinks I'm nuts cause' I want to hook her up with a neuspeed chip + intake, thats an easy 25-30hp gain across the band combined for roughly 350 bucks. To me thats excellent bang for the buck, to her its crazy when we need a new fridge know what i mean :eek:). I'd MUCH rather be faster, handle better then have a pretty fridge haha.

-m
:laughing: looking back to the glory years when I was single and using money left and right. BTW, If you do get this turbo, I dunno how you'll get your wife to believe that you're not spending money on your car. Luckily, my wife enjoys the thrill of boost and I don't have kids as of yet. Good luck finding a solution.

· Registered
29 Posts
...i bribe my wife with jewelery :love: and then remind her about it all of the time. we just got married a year ago, so no kids/house/etc yet & i made a deal with her after we got engaged...she can have whatever she wants as long as i can have a big TV and a fast car :thumbsup:

· ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
figit said:
How did you guys do it? Not the single guys who have spare cash to dump into your cars, I was there a few years ago and didn't have issues: o ). I'm talking about you guys w/ serious responsibilities. What kept you going?
I know what you mean. Cars are expensive. And car payments are a pain. There was a time when I had a high-paying job and the big paychecks just kept coming in. During that time, money was not really an issue. Then I decided to ditch that and start my own business. I could do that because I had developed a side-business while on my corporate job. For the next few years, every penny went into developing the business. It finally paid off and we made good money. Then came 9/11 and a bunch of other crap and things got much harder. Last Fall things looked pretty bad, but fortunately a certificate of deposit came due and I used that to buy my RSX for cash and had a bit left over for mods. It was a reward for myself, something I needed in tough times.

Ever since, whenever I get a little windfall I use part of it for a mod and the rest to pay for my expenses and obligations. Saving pennies never worked for me. It takes too log. I always wait for windfalls or the occasional largish payment to come in. That's when I buy stuff. It's harder for the bigger ticket items, like a turbo or a SC. Early in the year I had the cash for the JRSC, but they didn't respond to a couple of inquiries about stuff I really needed to know, so I spent it elsewhere. Now I have the money again, and I committed it to the Comptech SC.

· On The Way To N/A 12's
952 Posts
I have a house, wife, and a child. But when it comes down to it, im gonna buy something for the car. I mean my fam comes first, but if theres extra money :love: here comes a part. I know sc/turbo's are alot of extra money, but just take out a loan that u can aford every month. Id rather have all the money right away rather then wait a year or longer :thumbsdow
So what im doing, is buyin everything that doesn't take alot of money, or time.( I/h/ex also the looks) Then taking a loan out to get the big stuff that would. Leaving me with everything i want, in less time. Plus i'll be satisfied cause the whole time im buying stuff for the car. So even if i have to wait 3 months for a loan. It wont feel like it. Good plan for me ;)

S/c here i come :driving:

Also when your doin 120 just to beat the guy next to you on the road, ask your self, is that logical.(with every thing that could happen cops,accident)But we still do it. So just do something stupid and make your self happy. Cause a year or two would drive me :crazy:

· Registered
506 Posts
Well, being single isn't all that for me, sure I'm saving money by not being married (or am I?). I'm in the military, my pay is good, but it's not great, and I'm still stock, I just spend this time to think of what I want done, then I'll do the little(less expensive) things and wait for tax returns and such to do the bigger things. Waiting long usually doesn't work for me, I'm impatient.

· Registered
108 Posts
I would say you only bet is to sit the wife down and tell her you going to stop smoking, and you are going to use the money saved over the next year (or two) is going toward your car...This way your doing it for your health (and kids) and your reward is the upgrades...Or work hard to pickup a large account on the side...what do you develop in Flash, Director, Other? Just ask around more...If you didn't have kids I would say just do it, but, kids gotta come first...Could sell...get a used GSR and turbo it?

· I love Audi Junkie!!!
3,072 Posts
figit said:
Anyhow any advice would be great!

Wow.. another Newark, DE subscriber... I think that now makes three of us!!!

Big numbers from such a little state!!!

I have no advice on the money issue.. I usually have forgone many things to suppert my racing habbits.

What sucks the most is when you finally get there, and your car gets stolen!!!

Just don't park your car at Concord Mall, it will end up cut in Philadelphia!

Anyway, good luck!

-JMS

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My wife is so silly man, it was my b-day friday and my presents this year consist of a few clothing items and tint for the car right. I haven't scheduled the tint job and we’re riding along yesterday and she looks over and tells me that if I can get a header. I looked over at her like she had 3 heads and immediately knew some cat at work must have informed her that I would just love a header but the point is she was told the header was in the range of 300/350 which is nearly double what I'm getting tint put on for so this is a great sign. She is beginning to realize that my car and hobby are very important to me and money needs to be spent to keep it going.

Oh I develop in coldfusion, xml, flash, a little .net when needed. JMS we need to hook up man!

-m

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hey this is kind of off topic but I'm thinking the next step for my car performance wise would be k-pro. I coudn't afford k-pro right now but if my wife is open to spending 350 on a header maybe I can bump the allowance up enough to get the #4 flash then later down the road I'll eat the 100 loss and bump up to k-pro. Or I could go used exhaust but I dont even want to sound fast unless I can hold my own so it would have to be something quiet that will work well once I am boosting. I really do want to get the tint out of the way though but its so cheap thats one of those things that I could just swing in the next few months on my own. I'm thinking I need to capitolize on her current mood right now! What do you guys think?

The other plan of attack I was considering is in the next few months getting her an intake and the nuespeed chip for her car, I think with that alone the bug will bite her. I'm not saying she'll be hunting the web down for parts BUT she'll understand the gratification. As I type this I'm thinking this is crazy talk but who knows. See she has told my time and again that if I wanted a faster car I should have just purchased one... basically my options were wrx, rsx type-s, and mustang GT, with a SLIGHT possibility for a g35 coupe. In all cases I was getting better bang for the buck with the type-s plus I figured if I stayed on the lower end of the new car budget this would free up funds for modifications. It just hasn't worked out as planeed haha. Anyhow what do you think about my first question, should I pass up the tint and shoot for hondata #4?

thanks guys!
-m

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.