Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guy...I bought my car used and the owner before me didin't change the air filter..my car has 60 k miles now..I wonder if we should get the acura oem air filter or just go to auto zone to pick up the after markett one....which air filter are the best for rsx ?

·
Because STIGCAR
1,000 Posts
Best is a relative term. Do you mean best for filtering out dirt and debris, or best for HP gains?

For preventing crap from being sucked into your engine paper is fine. No sense in going to Acura and shelling out the extra dough for the OEM filter. The $12 Purolator one at Advance, Autozone, Pep Boys is the same thing only cheaper.

If you want to increase your performance there are several options:

-K&N makes a higher flow "performance" filter that will fit your stock air box. Since they slapped the word "performance" on there it carries a premium price (about $60). Instead of paper it's made out of several layers of surgical gauze and wire mesh. Selling point: it's washable. Power gains with this will probably be due to the placebo effect: you did something to the car so it FEELS more powerful. As far as measurable results I wouldn't expect too much.

-Short Ram Intake (SRI) and Cold Air Intake (CAI): About $150-300. These will produce more HP over the stock air box because the air flow is less restricted. CAI will give higher gains than SRI because it draws colder (denser) air and allows a better burn of the fuel. Downside of CAI is hydrolocking, but that's rare and shouldn't happen if you don't plow through giant puddles.

Cliffs:
-Keep your engine from breathing shit? Go to autozone and buy the paper filter.
-Want "power"? CAI>SRI

·
iT's ThE vTeC mAfIa Yo!
1,259 Posts
AMSOIL ABSOLUTE EFFICIENCY

It outflows any wet guass filter by alot, however it filters at 100% efficiency down to less than 2 microns, which paper and wet guass are no where near.

get a SRI or CAI, and run an Amsoil AE Filter, nothing can touch them... Check out their site for the flow and filtration numbers

Also, no oil, and you use compressed air to clean it out

·
HT haterzz
3,990 Posts
Flow really isn't the issue these filters as I understand. All of them flow well enough, you want one that outfilters the rest. AEM's dryflow are supposed to be good for CAI/SRI applications. Not sure about stock airbox replacement filters.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if u get water into ur intake that means ur engine will blow up and u can't save it so b smart about where u put the intake NOW, this is that u can do put the intake where the original one was pointing towards the bottom but not on the bottom more like bhind the engine and just get a 20.00 dollar pipe extension from autozone or pepboys it's usually blue or red adn it extends first it looks like 1 foot but extends to 3 lol then after getting that just and u need an adapter to fit it on to the front of ur intake, afet getting that just reposition it around the engine or under he intake u just got and put it in the front NOW listen put 1 cm holes in it so if for what ever reason u were to go into a puddle when ur intake sucks the air it wont suck ALOT Of water sum but not to the extent of blowing ur motor.

·
Skeet Skeet...
2,394 Posts
wait are u talkin' about the cabin air filter or the engine air intake filter?

·
Doctor 2ner
210 Posts
do u guys know which Intake produce how much HP gain.. AEM CAI.. Injen CAI.. Injen SRI.. Injen Megaflow.. K&N intake.. etc...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
..how fast can the after market cai help ur car...i saw some long cai...some short...I don't wana remove my front bumber...so the only choice i have left is the short ram intake right?

·
dolan pls
9,956 Posts
..how fast can the after market cai help ur car...i saw some long cai...some short...I don't wana remove my front bumber...so the only choice i have left is the short ram intake right?
You don't have to remove your bumber for a CAI.....

you do have to remove your bumper though

·
HT haterzz
3,990 Posts
CAI > SRI > Icebox

CAI = most gains no heatsoak.
SRI = some gains but heatsoak like a mofo
Icebox = some lower/mid range gains but heatsoaks baaad (almost like stock)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts