Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Acura service put a nice dent in my door today

2K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  JPSlick 
#1 · (Edited)
Dropped my car off at Acura for scheduled oil change/tire rotation this morning. Went to pick it up after work. As I walked up on it I saw a nice fat dent and a smaller dent in my driver's door, with black paint. So I went back into the service dept and told the Acura service person that we had a problem. She got the manager, we went out, I showed them.

"That's new, alright." the manager says. I told him "Yeah, it is new, as in 'after I left it here.'" I told him the car is babied and that I know where every single scratch is on it.

Then the manager rubs the paint off with his thumb nail and says, "Oh yeah, that's all coming off, no problem," almost as if I would be thrilled, shake his hand, pay my service bill, and drive off. I responded, "What about the dents?" He says "Oh, a company called Dent Wizard comes in on Wednesdays and they can get that out, almost good as new."

I said "'Almost good as new' isn't good enough... I want this door in 'like new' condition, the way it was when I drove it in."

He told me not to worry and that he'd take care of it. I told him the door needs to be taken back to like new condition, even if it meant replacing the door. Knowing the car business and some of its shady practices, I demanded this be put in writing. I made it clear I wasn't going anywhere until they spelled it out and signed it. They made me wait for about half and hour.

I hope they keep their word. If they don't restore my door to like new condition, I'll be doing whatever I can to make their lives miserable, out them online and contact Corporate.

:firemad:

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd be pissed.

The following is easy for me to say though because its not my car.

You don't really want to have the door painted just yet, as that just brings a host of other potential fuck ups with it.

Let the paintless dent guy have a go at it. They can pull off some pretty amazing work, and chances are you will be happy with the results.

In any event I'd get the money that it would cost to fix and repaint the door out of them one way or another. Either actually have them pay to repaint it, or get free service, an extended warranty, etc... something....

#3 ·
:iamwiths: Especially the part about laying new or different paint on your door.

#5 ·
shady shit. only trust urself!!! btw changing oil/rotating tire urself isnt that hard either. thats my .02 but good luck on fixing that cuz i babied the hell out of my baby.

#14 ·
shady shit. only trust urself!!! btw changing oil/rotating tire urself isnt that hard either.
I hear ya. It's not a question of whether I can do it or not - just that I have no ramps and I'd have to drive out to my father-in-law's garage to do it (loves to do this stuff, has a lift, etc), which is pretty far away.

Since I can't even trust an Acura dealership to handle my car carefully, I think I'll pay a visit to my in-laws from now on. heh

#6 ·
Pisses me off when shit like that happens, it's hard work to keep a car that you actually drive cherry. Even if your car isn't perfect, dings and dents still suck. Some people just don't get the idea that you actually care how your car looks. Sorry

/rant

#20 ·
PMd you

#10 ·
Thanks for all the advice and moral support; you guys are great.

Service manager called me this morning and asked when I'd like a car dropped off so they can make it right. He said they'd repaint the door to get it like new if that's what it took. They'll get the car tomorrow, give me a loaner till it's resolved. This guy apologized twice (diff guy than the a-hole who originally tried to "handle" it).

It probably *is* going to need to be repainted, the dents might be severe enough, not sure. I guess if they make good that's all I really want. Maybe they give me a free oil change for my trouble?

I know there's a whole lot worse to be upset about (I've seen pics of totalled cars, etc) so I'm fine. It's just that - like flashback said - you think you're doing some good by taking it to the dealer, but shit can happen anywhere.

Thanks again everyone :)

#12 ·
Your signature is so appropriate for this thread.

Man, I totally understand your predicament. I dropped my car (o5 MM RSX-S) off one day to have a major service done to it there was a big dent in that black stuff on my rear bumper. Basically where that black stuff makes a point, well it was flat when I got my car. I pointed it out to the service rep, they said "We are sorry, when can you bring your car in to get the bumper replaced?" I told them whenever they can fix it.

It ended up taking 2 weeks for the bumper to come in, in the process they had offered to put the rear A-SPEC bumper on for FREE (without the sides or the front), I was like "'eff that!" I will take the new bumper. They held their end of the bargain and replaced my rear bumper!

Sometimes they suck, but a lot times ACURA is awesome. I know some of you may agree but most will disagree and say "It is a rip" or what not, but I truely belive "You Get What You Pay For".

This is MHO and my $.02 :weeeeeeeeee:

#13 ·
I'm willing to pay a little extra to insure the job gets done right.
When stuff like this happens it irks me.

Its like good service at a restaurant deserves good tips.

Business competition is stiff, its the ones that provide the service and or fix the problems that get my business.
I let them know when they do a good job.

oh, well, enough said, venting.

#15 ·
definitely leave it at the paintless dent removal. my first brand new car was a 02' civic si in silver and the dealer chipped the fender installing splash guards. they repainted and blended with the door, I had to sell the car because the paint bugged me so much. the metallic never lays down like factory.

#16 ·
And if the dents don't come out?

If they can't get the paint to match right, I think they're obligated at that point to replace the friggin' door with factory. I ain't playin'.

#17 ·
Just curious what dealer this was? I leave near Cleveland, but spend a lot of time around Toledo so I've been having my car serviced during the day up here at Dave White Acura. I figure sooner or later though, it'll be more convenient to have stuff done at Acura of Cleveland since it's 10min from my house.

#18 ·
Depending on the outcome and their attitude I'd rather wait on outing them, they may comp me for the irritation... I'll post later today after I pick the car up. L8R

#23 ·
Strange noises like that when you can't find em drive me nuts. I was driving to work a few weeks ago and a very loud BANG came from what sounded like the rear of the car, it sounded like a .22 went off and was loud enough to cause me instinctually duck. Couldn't find any dents on the underbody, scratches, nothing. Car was driving fine before&after. It never happened again (it probably wasn't even my car) but I drove with the stereo turned down and listened to the car for like a week.

#24 ·
whats funny is that you probably didnt notice the repair order you signed when you dropped your car off...this is on the repair order you signed "I hereby authorize the repair work herein set forth to be done along with the necessary material and agree that you are not responsible for loss or damage to vehicle or articles left in vehicle, in case of theft or any other cause..."

or maybe it happened in the parking lot beyond their control

#25 ·
whats funny is that you probably didnt notice the repair order you signed when you dropped your car off...this is on the repair order you signed "I hereby authorize the repair work herein set forth to be done along with the necessary material and agree that you are not responsible for loss or damage to vehicle or articles left in vehicle, in case of theft or any other cause..."
Oh I'm sure that was in the fine print... even so, they obviously have an incentive to fix this kind of stuff otherwise why wouldn't they just say "Read the fine print, buddy. And don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."

or maybe it happened in the parking lot beyond their control
Since the car was parked in a localized service area/holding pen, the only people with acces to it to bump it were service guys.

In any event, I don't care now; they apologized and took care of it.

#26 ·
Dealer + Small Parking Lot + Lots of people in and out of cars + People that dont care = Dents

Not much u can do to prove either...unless the car was BRAND new

then again, a noticeable dent can usually be found to be their fault...

the service advisors are supposed to take a walk around of the car and check for damage...

this way if the customer decides to make crap up...they can note the dent was their when you brought the car in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.