Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody used the ACURA TOUCH-UP PAINT PEN with paint on one end and the clear coat on the other? i jus wanted to kno if it will match up with the paint ok b/c i read on s2k sites that the paint does not match up on the s2k's. thanx in advance for any input.

·
Beantown is comin Cali
1,939 Posts
goofi22 said:
has anybody used the ACURA TOUCH-UP PAINT PEN with paint on one end and the clear coat on the other? i jus wanted to kno if it will match up with the paint ok b/c i read on s2k sites that the paint does not match up on the s2k's. thanx in advance for any input.
I want one, where do you get them and how much?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
pay a shop and have them repaint it for you.

Pens and Bottles will never match up perfectly and will offer almost inferior quality. Sorry guyz but when it comes to paint, nth beats spray painting it over again.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
i brought my rsx back to the dealership....they have a touch up guy that comes in every once in a while. he will wash down the car and touch up anything that needs it. it cost me $80.

i had to do this because i let someone drive my car and he backed into a rock that scratched up the rear bumper. the guy sanded it down and painted it...it turned out great....he also touched up anything else that needed it.

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
ecks said:
re paint the whole bumper for just one cut?
If the paint in the bottle is the same as the paint on your car (dealer provided, of course), it may still not match. This is b/c paint reflects. So if you put too much on, it will have it's own sheen in and of itself instead of matching in with the rest of the paint. Make sense?

The idea is to apply the paint as flat to the surface as possible and level with the surface. Buy a tiny brush from an art store and apply with that. Do not even bother trying to use the brush that comes with the nail polish style bottle.

Also, if your car is older, your paint will have faded some, so in that case, the bottled stuff won't match right off the bat before even applying.

And my dealer does not sell the touch up pen. :( But the tiny paintbrush method seems to work well. :thumbsup:

·
Remember Acura_Gurl?
7,025 Posts
Search, there's threads on this already.

I have the paint pen. Got it from my Acura dealership (in Canada). It works ok. Better then seeing rust on your hood or an off colour spot. I think consensus was that it works better then the usual touch up, but it's not a lot better. My only tip is let the paint dry for at LEAST an hour before adding the clear coat. The instructions say like 30min or something but the paint will usually be wet and just smere.
:wavey:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Ok the reason why everyone thinks that touchup paint looks like crap is for two reaons one is if you use the bottle you cannot keep it in just the "scratch" area you get it aboove the paint, so that looks crappy and two is the paint is very dull, the reason is there is no clear coat on it or anything. I have the solution however to both problems so read this:

-If you got some scratches and stuff get the pen, fill in the scratches with the pen and then use meguires scratch X and lightly buff the spot that you filled it in with. I am the only person here that uses scratch X and I'll tell you why I use it, it is a very mild rubbing compound specifically made so that you dont need a machine buffer to get results so basically it might take you a few times but in the end it gets it just as shiny as the rest of the paint and it will wear down whatever little spots you have above the paint. It is cheap and you dont have to mail order for meguires just go to autozone. There you go!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
hmm...thats interesting, mine haven't done that yet. did you put alchohol on the scratches to clean them real good before you put on the touch up paint? Cause some people have the problem of it poping out of the scratch after washing the car. If you did maybe we need to spray a little clear coat over it and then blend that in with the rest of the car to help protect your good work...I think maybe I will try that.

·
435 Posts
You are right - borders are not hassles for pens in terms of duties....I was referrring to the quicker shipping service when using USPS as opposed to Canada Post for US customers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts