Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Honda/Acura engineers were recently caught testing a new sport crossover in the dead of night around the deserts of California, and while they came wielding flashlights to blind our spy photographer's lens, we got these pictures of what the luxury brand is up to in the quickly softening market for crossovers. The vehicle appears to be similar in shape to the BMW X6 despite the heavy camouflaging obscuring its profile. The windshield is very steeply raked and the shape of the cutout allowing the grille to breathe is reminiscent of Acura's new Superman-shaped grilles. Indeed, even the wheel and tire combination suggests that this is a crossover with sporting intentions. It may be a big brother to the RDX with more athletic moves than the MDX. Still, we can't help but wonder why Acura would be working on yet another crossover with those two already in its lineup, especially considering the market's current exodus to passenger cars. Check out more spy shots of the vehicle in question below.

Reactions: Leroy Jenkems

·
Check REPTAR!!!!!!
15,879 Posts
heard about this from someone who worked at a honda parts builder. It is for those empty nester type people. He said it was called the crossover back then but that will probably change since acura uses letters

Reactions: Leroy Jenkems

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea but why have a 3rd suv? or "crossover" w/e

·
Curious Gooner
3,717 Posts

·
del
7,360 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with the article... RDX sales aren't stellar. Honda reported an increase in car sales last month but a drop in light truck sales from last year.

A look at Acura's lineup:

A 4 cyl. accord, an AWD V6 Accord, another AWD V6 Accord with the same amount of power, perhaps less yet more expensive, a CR-V with a turbo, a Pilot, and now... a stretched out Element?

Epic fail... No coupe no care. Instead of making some SH-AWD TL coupe, ie. something interesting, they make this. I imagine the grille will be ten times as large as the TL's.

·
28,748 Posts
Sooo they made the RDX which isn't selling well, so their response is to keep the RDX and make a bigger version of it, in a market like this? Wow.

Normally I'd make a smartass anti-Acura quip, but I really have no idea where to start with this one.

·
28,748 Posts
Yeah, looks wise its hard to figure out anything at all except for the rims (which may or may not make it to production). Its the idea that seems bad...

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea saw that yesterday too.....I think its clear that Acura wants to do away with the low end coupe cars so its def. gonna be closer to a CL look then anything. and that PS is fucking horrible....

·
Schrodinger's handywork:
1,990 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts