Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so today was my first time on the freeway (101 in Thousand Oaks), I got up to hwy speed (70ish) then got off at the next exit. The gusts of wind were pretty unnerving, kind of similar feeling I had when riding at street speeds for the first time (only a week ago). Should I just keep practicing at highway speeds untill I'm confident to ride for extended periods like I did on the street?
Any tips on dealing with the blasts?

·
LOL wut
8,728 Posts
yeah it was pretty crazy for me my first time...ul get used to the windblasts the more you ride. What works for me on a windy day is to stick the leg out. if the wind is coming from the right, stick your right leg out to break the wind a little. just try to keep low to the bike

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
(101 in Thousand Oaks),
do realize that 80% of the readers in this bike forum don't know 101 and Thousand Oaks lol.

Should I just keep practicing at highway speeds untill I'm confident to ride for extended periods like I did on the street?
Any tips on dealing with the blasts
1. yes
2. don't go too fast, and just anticipate potential wind gusts.

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
wait a second..

are you talking about gusty winds or the normal wind blast that hits your body because of the fact that you are moving forward?

well to both of you guys and anyone out there, i've ridden with gusty cross-winds reaching 45-50mph. it was the scariest night of my life. twice, those winds almost shoved me into the guard rail.

8,021 Posts
it wasnt windy this past weekend so I'm assuming you felt the normal highway winds. Isnt there a safer freeway you can get on? lol. I used to take hte 101 for work and there are a bunch of crazy drivers that cant stay in their own lanes. Not to mention everyone drives faster than normal.

But ya...that feeling will go away as you get used to it. Like mentioned before, when you first start riding (good habit) use your knees to support your weight by squeezing the tank. Also, when you pass or get passed by bigger vehicles (vans, trucks, buses) get ready for the wind to push you away from it.

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
Also, in addition to what was said above, keep to the fast lane.

Reason:

If you're in the slow lane, a last minute exit by a jerk in a bmw may cross over from all the way to the left, not looking for you and smacking you. While if you're in the far left, for the most part, no one is going to make a rush to exit.

Stay out of blind spots

Normally you'll want to move a little faster than traffic, as long as it is safe to do so.

·
Acura 3.2TL
3,836 Posts
Ok so today was my first time on the freeway (101 in Thousand Oaks), I got up to hwy speed (70ish) then got off at the next exit. The gusts of wind were pretty unnerving, kind of similar feeling I had when riding at street speeds for the first time (only a week ago). Should I just keep practicing at highway speeds untill I'm confident to ride for extended periods like I did on the street?
Any tips on dealing with the blasts?
Yeh, keep practicing on the highway. You're body and skills are just adjusting to what HWY riding is. A couple more hits on the hwy and it'll be a piece of cake. What really will scare you is the wind coming off of the big rigs...its like damn swirling wind.

I am more comfortable on the highway then normal streets. Heck, I even ride with no hands at 120km/h.
:coffee:

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
As far as the wind, I sometimes push down (or maybe forward) on the handlebar side the wind is coming from. This leans the bike into the wind a bit.

Be careful, though...it doesn't take much push to make it happen.

·
135i Coupe Owner!
7,962 Posts
do realize that 80% of the readers in this bike forum don't know 101 and Thousand Oaks lol.

1. yes
2. don't go too fast, and just anticipate potential wind gusts.
101 is the freeway number near/within thousand oaks. southern california LA county area. :dontknow:

·
LOL wut
8,728 Posts
ok. plan for summer. i will rent a truck and wagon and tow my bike down. i am serious too. i did it last summer..
ehh ur the moderator!!! plan!!!! LOL but i would be down if its not too far from SD...cuz some of the best riding spots are near SD

1 - 20 of 26 Posts