Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just bought my new RSX, and two days later I got it impounded and a $400 speeding ticket. I live in BC, Canada. The cop said I was going 125, which I don't think I was. I am going to take it to court and dispute it, but I need some questions answered, if anyone could help!

-I stopped at a stop sign and turned a corner then traveled about 1500 ft before the cop came from the other side of a hill and pulled me over, I was driving normally....shifting around 2.5 or 3, would it even be possible to be going 125 km/hr in that short of a distance?

-The cop turned his lights on literally two seconds from seeing me, did a u-turn because he was going the opposite way, and pulled me over. Doesn't he need more time then that to get an accurate reading with his radar? He said he got me doing 125 km/ hr on the radar.

I feel like I just got pulled over because of the look of my car, and I was in the process of trying to pass another driver on a two lane road. I have another car, a 2004 nissan sentra four door, and I speed ALL the time, right past cops, and they don't look twice. With the RSX, every cop stares me down. Anyone else have this happen?:dontknow:

·
IWHBYD
266 Posts
my dad is a cop. on the radar gun there is a serial number, get the serial number if he did catch u with it, those guns have to be calibrated to acurately catch speeds. if it wasnt calibrated recently then the ticket will be thrown away. also idk if a cop has to have certain tings like certificates or such (we do in america) but if the cop isnt properly trained in using the radar gun or doesnt met certain criteria, then the ticket wont pass in court.

same goes for a loud exhaust/music ticket. go to court and plead not guilty and ask what the "decibal meter" reading was...guarentee itll shock the judge lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that is what I figured, I read up on the net about it...I will go to court and ask him what the reading was, what his training was, when it was calibrated, what the weather was like, was clothing I was wearing etc etc...I heard if you can make him sound like he doesn't have a good memory then you will get the ticket thrown out. I just want to be able to say something like "Isn't it true that you need to point the radar at my car for at least 30 second to get a reading?" Something along those lines when I cross examine him. If he even shows up lol

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
my dad is a cop. on the radar gun there is a serial number, get the serial number if he did catch u with it, those guns have to be calibrated to acurately catch speeds. if it wasnt calibrated recently then the ticket will be thrown away. also idk if a cop has to have certain tings like certificates or such (we do in america) but if the cop isnt properly trained in using the radar gun or doesnt met certain criteria, then the ticket wont pass in court.

same goes for a loud exhaust/music ticket. go to court and plead not guilty and ask what the "decibal meter" reading was...guarentee itll shock the judge lol
i wish i would have read this before i pled guilty to my exhaust ticket.

Nikyla, if you really didn't go as fast as he claims then definitely argue that. $400 is a lot and if he impounded your car for no reason i would suggest a minor law suit. did you get the car back yet?

·
R.I.Pieces
631 Posts
i wish i would have read this before i pled guilty to my exhaust ticket.

Nikyla, if you really didn't go as fast as he claims then definitely argue that. $400 is a lot and if he impounded your car for no reason i would suggest a minor law suit. did you get the car back yet?
^^this.. definitely take it to court.. sounds like that cop was just being an asshole..

·
Murderator
23,101 Posts
Yeah that is what I figured, I read up on the net about it...I will go to court and ask him what the reading was, what his training was, when it was calibrated, what the weather was like, was clothing I was wearing etc etc...I heard if you can make him sound like he doesn't have a good memory then you will get the ticket thrown out. I just want to be able to say something like "Isn't it true that you need to point the radar at my car for at least 30 second to get a reading?" Something along those lines when I cross examine him. If he even shows up lol
No.

Readings are very quick.

It is just bouncing a signal off your car and back.

in case you're interested, here's how they work

http://www.radarguns.com/how-radar-guns-work.html

Basically fires radio wave, car bounces it back, it calculates speed from the difference of the frequency of the fired wave compared to the frequency it's bounced back...so split second.

and for laser speed detectors

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/question396.htm

Figured from reflection time of light...so even faster.

a quarter mile is 1320ft, yes an RSX can easily be going well over 77mph in less than a quarter mile, and you had 180ft longer...

·
I wish I had more money
780 Posts
lol, new car, you state you speed all the time? Plenty of time to get to the accused speed. Sounds pretty guilty to me. Take it as a life lesson and move on OP.

And fyi, it literally takes no time to get an accurate reading. Especially if there aren't a lot of cars on the road. About a second, if that. It's almost instant

·
Dafkup
2,080 Posts
If you are innocent actually which I doubt, just plead not guilty. If it is bogus the cop won't show and it'll be dismissed. If you are guilty tell them that you weren't traveling that speed and is there anything you can do. Hopefully get defensive driving if they offer that there

·
Doesn't Give A F*ck
20,301 Posts
Why were you traveling 125mph in an RSX? You deserve the ticket. If you are innocent actually which I doubt, the allegation is so bogus just plead not guilty. If it is bogus the cop won't show and it'll be dismissed.
breef man. its in km not mph. he's Canadian

·
Boosting OG
9,303 Posts
. I have another car, a 2004 nissan sentra four door, and I speed ALL the time, right past cops, and they don't look twice. With the RSX, every cop stares me down. Anyone else have this happen?:dontknow:
Get used to it. I can speed in my civic hybrid and the police don't notice but when I am in the STi they see me a mile away. That's just how it is. If you were a cop what would you look for? :vtec:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Make sure you give us a follow up to this one, I would certainly like to know how it turns out. I've only had warnings because I have always taken it to court, especially when they don't even clock you with the radar gun and say they could tell the speed because "they've been doing this a long time" bahahaha yeah no.

·
Living Legend
12,656 Posts
Cops never are staring me down... Cause I don't stare them down lol. I just drive by and be happy that no shootings are going to happen around me because cops are around. Stare them down like a dude at any downtown club and expect to get pulled over or watched next time.

Never have gotten a ticket.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.