Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it?

Ive heard alot of mixed reviews, like "I felt the gains immediatly" or "There just for show don't waste your money."

Whats your opinion?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I think they would have use. But I heard the install is a pain in the ass.

·
It's は時間行く!!!
59 Posts
From what I can remember somewhere reading around this board it's not worth it unless you replace the crank pulley and AEM doesn't supply that one, and in some cases if you do replace the crank pulley things seemed to have gone wrong...I guess it depends on how they are installed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
My opinion, without owning them (because of my opinion), is that they're worthless.

If you REALLY want some pullies then I believe Spoon makes some and they're definitely better. But pullies should be low on your list of mods in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
they may give you 1 hp so I dont think that they are really worth the time and the effort

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was reading and usally with a crank pully alot of things can go wrong with your car.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Crank pullies have harmonic balancers inside them. Harmonic balancers reduce crankshaft vibrations in the higher RPMs. Lightweight crank pullies remove the harmonic balancer from the pulley. This increases your chances of spinning a rod bearing, or a spinning a crank bearing because the crank may get out of balance in the higher RPMs. It's not a good idea on a high revving Honda cause they rev so damn high.

I do believe in crank pullies making power, but it depends on the application. We friend got a lightweight crank pully for his Celica (I forgot what brand it was but it's not AEM) and he gained around 5 WHP (I forgot the exact before and after dyno figures, this was awhile ago) just from the pulley. It was only $99 so it wasn't a bad mod for him. But he is taking the chance of the harmonic balancer deal. No problems yet for him though, the only thing he doesn't like is his a/c doesn't get as cold and his lights dim when he comes to a stop...cause all that stuff is turning slower.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea thats wha i have read. lol. I guess ill check these out after i buy hondata and a flywheel

·
It's は時間行く!!!
59 Posts
Yeah, I remember them saying that with a lightened flywheel and clutch you can free up more HP.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
mainly u won't gain hp off of pullies you free up hp, due to the lightness so no matter what there will be a gain! i would say there more for show almost unless u get UR's kit

you should get a flywheel and hondata before pullies,...

D

·
Registered
260 Posts
D Fabulous said:
you should get a flywheel and hondata before pullies,...

D
:iamwiths:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
haha i am. Im ordering hondata today and then when i make the cash or my clutch goes, im going to get the flywheel.

Im thinking about buying a set of these pullies though, my friend has a set on his prelude and he said they were one of his best mods. No one on here has intstall them, i think, so i mean it cant hurt to try it out.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Maybe I can shed some light on the subject. I have been talking with Unorthodox Racing concerning their Underdrive Pulley Kit currently in development for the base RSX. BTW, the Kit should be availabe first quarter '04. Anyways I was concerned with the harmonic dampeners myself so I emailed the head mechanic with UR and this is what he said:

Daniel,

We are still looking at releasing the pulleys early next year ('04). People are getting the pulleys confused with the harmonic dampers found on 90 degree V8 and V6 engines. The pulleys on most of the new import and smaller domestic engines have an elastomer (rubber ring) incorporated into the pulley that looks similar to a harmonic damper. The rubber in the OEM pulley serves as an isolator, which is there for noise suppression from the cycling of the A/C compressor and P/S pump and the groan of the Alternator when under load, What the manufacturers call NVH (Noise Vibration & Harshness) when referring to passenger compartment noticeable noise and vibration. If you look at some of the pulleys on older imports there is no rubber to be found. We have samples of mostly Honda, An Altima, 1.8L Eclipse, 2.3L Ford, Chrysler 2.2L, 1.8L VW and a few others all with no rubber. The purpose of a traditional harmonic damper is to keep the crankshaft from cracking which is not necessary on your engine. You have probably heard stories about bearing and oil pump failures. Any abnormal bearing wear is due to a lubricating issue, The most common examples are using the wrong weight of oil, a faulty head gasket or poor engine assembly practices. The idea of increased bearing wear from not having a damper on the engine is false. Using too heavy of an oil can shatter the oil pump gears. Most of the time oil pump failure is caused by something being sucked up into the pump. There are companies in Japan that have been producing upgraded pump gears for more than 10 years now. The fact of the matter is the pulleys have been out there running for over 5 years and there have been no failures attributed to the pulleys. There is a lot of internet hearsay about the pulleys, too often people are too quick to blame the pulley first rather than looking into why there was a problem and then go and post it on a message board. You really have nothing to worry about. If you would like to read more info on the subject, visit the FAQ section on our web site or you can contact me directly at (631)-586-9525 Ext. 12.

Joe ///M

·
Registered
213 Posts
That is one of the best explanations that I have read on the whole crankshaft pulley debate. Can't wait for UR to release the pullies for the base.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts