Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Lazy-ass Member
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i know, i know - yet another stupid V2 thread...

all i want to know is how v2 owners compare the intake to stock.

to answer some questions in advance:
1) i've searched and researched and read a ton of threads.
2) i will NOT get a cai. i am not interested in a cai. i am not interested in v2 vs. cai. i've read all the threads of v2 people going to cai and i already know what the results are.
3) i am not really interested in the financial side of intake choices - lets pretend that the v2 is free.
4) to me, the sound aftermarket intakes make are a negative, not a positive. cops here hate small imports. you can drive a ford f250 at 30 over the speed limit and not get pulled over. however a small import can get pulled over for practically no reason. i would rather not to turn the head of every cop in the area every time i hit vtec...

again, my questions are simple - does the v2 offer NOTICEABLE performance benefits over stock? are those outweighed by heat issues?

i am not looking to race my car, just want to make it a little more fun to drive.

thanks to any one who replies with answers to my questions.

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
YOU'RE DEAD!! I'M GONNA GAUGE OUT YOUR EYEBALLS AND SKULL FUCK YOU!!!! [email protected]!#[email protected]$

yea ok..umm...when I got my V2 back in the day, I did notice a difference. It was not as major as the hondata upgrade but you felt a little more of a kick when reaching vtec. of course this means that you will be louder in VTEC. oh yea it's loud. by heat, I don't really notice what alot of ppl call heatsoak. I don't gun it off the redlight alot so I can't really say. I drive everyday just like a normal sane person. maybe I go faster, but I don't gun it. I've never noticed any kind of "once you get off the line, the power goes away for a while until you start moving again" with the kpro, i'm measured at stoplight, the intake temp does increase, but it takes a good minute to dissipate so I really don't think of it as the car lurges cause there's no power with the hot air.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I can't really comment on the performace issue -- the "butt-dyno" tells me the V2 is more powerful than stock, but I've never had it dyno'd. I personally haven't noticed any more problems with heatsoak with the V2 compared with what I got stock...

Now here's the kicker -- if you are that worried about how loud it will be when you hit VTEC then don't get the V2. It is loud. Even telling you how loud it is can't prepare you for it once you finally hear it in person... However, under less than full throttle it's not as bad and in the lower RPM's it's only marginally louder than stock and has a nice deep tone.

·
you touch my tra-la-la
7,160 Posts
the V2 sound is most noticable in VTEC. in the lower RPM range... if you are driving with partial throttle... you will barely be able to tell. if you step on the throttle at the low RPM's... it will make a noticable growl.

·
GO CATS!
1,784 Posts
good thread. is the sound similar on the base MT, since vtec kicks in at a lower rpm?

·
GO CATS!
1,784 Posts
krekquel said:
i dont understand what you mean.
how would the sound of the V2 on the type-s compare to the V2 on the base manual tranny? since vtec kicks in at a lower rpm on the base does that mean you will have a louder sound more often than the type-s which kicks into vtec at a higher rpm.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I use to have the Injen CAI and then changed it to the V2. CAI was definitely better performance wise but now I dont have to worry about hydrolock and I still have some gains. It sounds oh so mean in vtach!

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
like if you mash on the gas really low rpm's. it'll make this really low growl. like a subwoofer vibrating at 20hz.

·
On a mission from God
5,647 Posts
I don't have a V2 but do have a base, and i really can't hear anything when vtec engages even w/ an intake. Probably because the type-S and base Vtec are totally different...you can hear the S vtec even when stock.

·
Lazy-ass Member
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks to everyone who posted. so far my impression is that aem v2 adds a little bit of performance; gets really loud in vtec; does not suffer from heat related issues any worse than the stock intake.
i would like to get as many v2 vs. stock impressions as possible so all input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The V2 is louder overall. It has good gains but when coupled with the Hondata #4 flash, it causes a dip in the powerband at 5200rpm. I will say that I enjoy the sound level of my new CAI over the V2 when cruising 75 on the fwy.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I posted this awhile back. I actually found the thread, so here it is again:

This might get long, so pull up a chair...

I have the V2, and around my area it regularly gets up to 85+ degrees outside in summer, with the heat index up near 100 because of the crazy humidity. Now nothing I'm about to say is backed up with dyno plots, just my "butt dyno" (but to me that's what REALLY matters anyway).

First off, it IS better than a traditional SRI as far as performance goes. Anyone who says different is lying. Now CAIs generally do get you a few more horsies, and are widely considered to be the best intakes for our car. But if you're like me, and live in a low-lying area that is subjected to flooding when it rains heavily, then you might want to consider the possibility of hydrolock, or not being able to take your car out because it is raining too much and you know the street is going to flood. I want to be able to hop in my car whenever, and not have to worry about hydrolocking at all. I find the peace of mind I get from using the V2 well worth the fact that it doesn't perform as well as the CAI.

As for bogging, I don't know what everyone is complaining about. Just last weekend, I drove my car about 100 miles in a day and a half, all city driving, and all in weather that was at least 80 degrees. While I may have noticed a little hesitance off of the line, it was nothing to speak of. I certainly did not have a problem with bogging down, almost stalling, taking off really slowly, or any of the other stuff people typically talk about.

The thing you have to realize about this board, are a good number of people are wannabe racers, while only a few are legitimate tuners or drag racers. Me, I'm just your everyday car enthusiast who enjoys a fun daily driver to scoot around town in. I don't go to the track or autocross, and I don't constantly worry about knocking a few hundredths off of my quartermile, or squeezing a few HPs out of a dyno. The V2 makes my everyday drive in my car more fun. I have better throttle response, improved performance that I can actually feel (even if only a little), and it has a killer sound. All of this, and I had an easy install, I can easily clean my filter, and I never have to worry about hydrolock. It was worth whatever sacrafice in horsepower I might have made by not getting a CAI. And once I mate it with Hondata #4, those few extra HPs won't matter anyway.

·
Registered
715 Posts
i had injen cai but got in a lil accident, and my cai got smashed up. i ordered the v2 to replace it so the bodyshop could do the work without having the dumb cai sit by the fender. i wish i got the v2 before the cai. install is easy on v2 and cai is a huge pain in the ass. but anywyas yea the v2 is better than the stock airbox because the stock airbox has so many twists n curves in it to reduce the noise which also stops potential power...the v2 give u good throttle response and horsepower for the most part...go ahead and buy it....the noise is awesome from it too...cops wont pull u over for it...only if u have a race header and a loud catback exhaust.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Yes. The v2 is better than stock. Ive never dynoed my car, but you can feel the difference. One time when taking my car to the dealer, I put the stock intake back on and after driving a whole day, I couldnt wait to put the v2 back on. As for sound, it is real loud. You will get attention, especially in vtec. Even when youre not in vtec, you can still hear a deep sound.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts