Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
5,022 Posts
It will work but you might suffer some performance issues. I was going to test a V2 but didn't have the time to. In a nutshell: You won't see max gains from the V2 just get the CAI and be happy. Don't worry about hydrolocking. I am spraying water into my intake for a reason.

·
Ayatollah
113 Posts
RAMES DC5 said:
Will this intake fit with the supercharger. What are the majority of you running?

Thanks
Dan
It does fit, but the rear bracket supporting the intake needs to be bent a little bit towards the back.

·
I love Audi Junkie!!!
3,072 Posts
wdsonny said:
I am spraying water into my intake for a reason.
Hey Sonny, I don't remember seeing an update on this one... How is the water injection working out for you? Are you actually seeing lower Intake temps?

Have you had a chance to dyno before and after?

Sorry if you posted this somewhere already, I missed it somehow.

See ya,
JMS

·
5,022 Posts
It's not the "true" water injection (ghetto W/I). All I did and played with different setups. I took the rear washer line and got a spray nozzle and tapped into the CAI filter. The reasoning behind that was the mist would cool the intake temp. That worked to a degree then I took Doug's off comment advice about spraying the exterior housing with water and it working to cool off. So I rigged up the same nozzle to spray across the housing. I use regular water, like Sparkletts or Palomar mountain type. It works better than the filter type I tried. Only other thing is Nitrous. I can get an NOS kit and port if for dry for $550 installed. Or get the AquaMist and run water/alcohol injection for the same price and forget about the refills at an N2O station.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sonny, if you keep the water spray system to cool the exterior of the CAI piping, use either distilled H2O or water from a reverse osmosis filter. Distilled is mineral free, and RO water is really, really close to being mineral free. No minerals or metals=no hard water spots! "Purified drinking water" still has minerals, though it is most likely softer than SoCal tap agua.

This is a great idea, by the way. What kind of temp drops have you seen, or better yet, is it something you will keep?

AJ

·
I love Audi Junkie!!!
3,072 Posts
wdsonny said:
No temp drops that I have noticed, of course the ECU doesn't measure after the S/C but before.
I hadn't realized you guys left the AIT sensor in the intake pipe...

You should consider installing an OBD 1 sensor into one of the intake rails, to allow the ECU to accurately adjust for Intake temps. However, temps are probably linear with the supercharger, so an increase in intake temp, may directly indicate a linear increase after the charger.

But still, When I did my 99' si, there was no place in the turbo's charge pipe for the AIT sensor, so I instaled an OBD 1 sensor into the intake, and it worked beautifully. This allowed me to get an accurate indication of actual intake temps.

See ya,
JMS

·
5,022 Posts
Well, the S/C has the moulding for the OBD-1 sensor. But, do you realize the amount of pain and trouble that is involved in installing the sensor. Just ask [email protected] As far as temps, here in Southern California, it gets what? 90F max?! Few squirts of water from the washer system and good to go. No definite noticed temp drops but you get my drift.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Aquamist

Sonny,

If you are truely looking to cool intake temps you should consider the Aquamist or JR water injection system. (BTW, the JR kit is just an Aquamist system with red anodizing and the usual 25% JR markup )

I found a used JR system for my previous car (12 PSI supercharged B18C1 in the usual 5G hatch) and it dropped the intake temperature by an adverage of 80 degrees (measured with an Autometer Intake temp gauge directly in the manifold) If you run a water/methanol mix its even more effective.

Yeah, the Aquamist equipment is expensive but it works

Just my 2 cents but if temps are an issue (and in Virginia in the summer they sure as shit are) this is the only thing I have found that really works (short of cutting up the manifold to install a real intercooler)

IMHO, spraying water on the housing or intake with have some LIMITTED benefit but as people have pointed out you run the risk of staining and water damage issues.

Mike

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
someone please try the aquamist out already. I'm waiting for someone to pave the way so I can do it. I'm a loner here in south fla, I don't live next to anyone to be able to research on how it should be done or ...

EDITED: just in case you wonder if I have done any research for it, yes I did and i've seen a few systems. At this point I am not sure which system will work for our jrsc setup

·
Registered
214 Posts
2002 Sleepr, since we've already experienced "thread topic drift," can you provide before and after effects of using the Aquamist system? I will soon be purchasing the JRSC Street Kit, and plan on building as far as CARB exemptions allow.

Even with the Aquamist, use distilled, reverse osmosis, or deionized water. Very little or no calcium, magnesium, etc. to create water damage like the hard water spots on your paint from a lawn sprinkler. Cooling effect remains the same; no unwanted water contents.

AJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.