Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im asking this beacuse im really curious. Not necesarily for autocross but more for time trials or road racing. I know it mattera on an indy car because they need tremndous downforce to stay planted but our cars are tremendously less powerful and heavier. I'm sure at some point aerodynamiocs effect the rsx but at what speed myst we go before it shows. (in lap times) anyone have insight or a factual based opinion on this please post. or if you road race and have done pre-aerodynamc laps vs. post-aerodynamic laps with times.

Also if which parts make the most difference? (ex. bumpers, wings, underbody covers, canards, vented hoods, diffusers (front or rear) ect...)

·
Curious Gooner
4,190 Posts
only at speed an excess of 115 mph... then diffusers, wings, bumpers, air dams, etc they all come in to play

edit: but thats just my $0.02

·
SC Crew #20
1,831 Posts
My feelings are that aerodynamics are always helpful although you might not feel a difference in speed/stability/lap times until 100+mph.

edit: I dont have any personal experience this is just from my research etc

·
Registered
9,621 Posts
Everybody knows that the higher the speed the more aerodynmics plays a role but I think aerodynamics matters at all speeds, its just that at lower speeds the aerodynamic mods needs to be grossly exaggerated to create similar effect at a lower speed vs. higher speed.

My friend has been racing at the local track for many years more than I have and he recently added a Mugen wing to his RSX. He said he noticed after his top speed at the end of the straight away is lower. He also got the Mugen style CF hood but the center scoop wasn't cut out, after he cut it out he also said that his top speed is lower as well. He's too consistent of a driver to even consider "good day, bad day" for those times.

For my RSX since I decided to keep with a short ram intake, I got the Mugen CF hood (replica) to help with cooling. I noticed less heat soak and I sometimes see the heat coming out of the vents. I also have the center scoop for the mugen style hood attached to a 3 inch ducting that is routed directly to my air intake filter. Test results are here.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=524038

I also made a fiberglass rear diffuser for my RSX and I felt a difference going about 80-90km/h.

All in all I think aeromods help at any speed, but it takes a proper driver to take advantage of the benefits. Also, just like suspension, aeromods need to be carefully chosen because the suspension affects how the car drives at lower speeds but the aerodynamics will affect how the car drives at higher speeds. Therefore, you can have a car that has rediculous oversteer at lower speeds and understeer at higher speeds if you wanted or vice versa, just as an example.

·
Engineering
28,100 Posts
yes it helps. like temptazn mark said, your suspension mods and aerodynamics go together. for example, if you have a well designed splitter, you need to make sure your front spring rates are strong enough to compensate for the amount of downforce.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes it helps. like temptazn mark said, your suspension mods and aerodynamics go together. for example, if you have a well designed splitter, you need to make sure your front spring rates are strong enough to compensate for the amount of downforce.
Anyone ever seem a splitter on a RSX?? I dont recall ever seeing that:dontknow:

·
Engineering
28,100 Posts
someone made one using an Evo APR splitter before, i will have one on my car soon enough.

·
These Colors Might Run
2,610 Posts
i think that sounds good in theory, but the fact of the matter is our cars create UPLIFT at high speeds. Any aero you try to put on the car will not create downforce, it will just reduce uplift.

I think working on the underbody would have the greatest impact on uplift. Smoothing that out will allow the air to flow much faster underneath the car with no drag increse, which is the exact opposite of what that mugen wing was doing with Mark's friend.

·
Engineering
28,100 Posts
i do agree with you that smoothing out the air under the car (i.e. using a front splitter, underbody tray, and rear diffuser) will help reduce uplift, but why the need then for mugen's bumper, hood, and wing?

also found this interesting:
http://www.specialprojectsms.com/index.php?categoryID=30.com

·
Registered
9,621 Posts
It is true about the underbody.. especially if a particular vehicle's underbody is very unsmooth and the air is turbulant. You will have lift going at speed. However, when you smooth the undertray it will redule this turbulence but it will however not create any downforce. That is why things such as canards, splitters, and wings are still necessary.

Sometimes you don't add aero-mods to create downforce (yes it might create downforce) but you may still end up with a net amount of lift. But the fact of the matter is at least you have reduced that lift therefore making the car more stable and potentially having more grip through corners.

The cheapest, easiest, and proven way to reduce the lift and in an attempt to create downforce is by adding a front chin spoiler.

Adding a piece of material to close the gap between the bumper and the ground will help. This can be made out of almost anything and no real R&D is needed to have a benefit.

·
no time to drive the RSX
5,253 Posts
auto-xing - NO
Road racing / time attack = YES

·
Registered
9,621 Posts
Downforce is key in A-mod where anything is legal short of a vacuum setup. Hell, the top dogs in XP, SM and SM2 are practically running World of Outlaw wings these days. :eek:
Haha yea :laughing:

I'm in SM this season.. maybe I should join the club of big rear wings.

Maybe not a good idea on the RSX though so I'll just get some front canards? :p

·
Because Racecar
1,467 Posts
someone made one using an Evo APR splitter before, i will have one on my car soon enough.
APR can make you a custom splitter if you want. You trace the outline of the underside of your bumper onto cardboard, fold it up and send it to APR, then they cut a sheet of carbon fiber to the outline you send them and BAM you have a splitter!

·
Engineering
28,100 Posts
eh dont need a carbon fiber one, i'd say it'd be a waste of money. a splitter should be replaceable and made for cheap...even professionals use cheap splitters out of fiberglass and plywood.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
A person to talk to this about would also be Strikeflo. He has mentioned that the aerodynamics play a key roll in high speed cornering, with the only downside being that it restricts his top end on the straights.

His car has the full J's Racing Aero kit, and i know he placed first at one of the redline time trials in his class.

·
Opakracing
2,988 Posts
I have an adjustable wing, for high speed straits around 120mph. My car would get real rear end light with my Aspec/Type R wing. soo i got an adjustable to get more down force on the rear of the car.

as for fancy body kits, im not to worried about all that right now. When ever im chassing a half second, and i have done and gotten everything out of my car i can, i may consider a fancy kit. But not now. I would like to add some Canyards to my stock bumper. But thats it

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.