Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I am a non smoker
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up, i wanted to kno if i could take out only my factory intake "box" not the whole intake and in place of the box install a cheap filter from a intake? i mean like a cheap intake that u can buy from Autozone's import section... dont flame me, just help me out, i dont want to get a whole intake system cuz i really dont want to mess with warranty that much, and if i do have to take the car in, all i would have to do is take out the intake filter and put the stock airbox back in...and another q...if i do get only a intake filter, would it make my Vtec any louder, maybe just a tiny bit louder? thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Do you mean running a straight filter right off the throttle body? If so not a good idea. Just look on Ebay and get one of those cheap Ebay SRI ($25). Works good, then replace the Ebay filter with a K&N unit and you'll be set.

·
I am a non smoker
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i mean getting a filter that u would get with one of those cheap SRI's from ebay and running it off the stock pipe...pretty much replacing the factory box....why would it be a bad idea? thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
Nothing automatically voids the warranty. I think what you are trying to say is that -- if the added aftermarket parts contribute to a deterioration or break down with something else on the car, then the warranty will not be honored.

·
I am a non smoker
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well im on a high school budget and im really not looking for more power out of a filter, all i want is more sound even if it does make my vtec a tiny bit louder..and also if i did need to take the car in, all i would have to do is take off the filter and put the box back in, easy as that! BUT what i really want to kno is why DavidT said "not a good idea" is there something mechanically that makes the car not perform ok with the stock piping or is it a bad idea that its not gonna gimme any or barly any power? thanks again!

·
I am a non smoker
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and oh yea....is it a real bitch to take out the factory box and put back in when i have to take it to the dealer..im talking only the box, because im not getting a intake only a filter,,,and another thing, how much does Acura sell Comtech filters?

·
Registered
460 Posts
stock piping really sucks. I had a comptech drop in filter before....it was okay, but then I Put the CAI on --damn what a difference.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey I'll sell you my comptech drop in filter for $50 including shipping. I paid $65 for it. I only had it on the car for 3 weeks which would be roughly 600 miles. I have the oil for it too. Let me know, My email is [email protected]

·
I am a non smoker
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i havent made my decision yet, but il keep ur sale in mind...thanks alot

·
Registered
529 Posts
I thought you meant running the filter right off the throttle body. That's not a good idea cause you'd have to find a place to put the air meter thing and route that breather hose on the valve cover elsewhere or put a breather filter on it. BUT, you're talking about something else. To run it off the stock pipe, you'd have to get an adaptor. Basically a piece of pipe the same size as your stock pipe and filter size :) It should work, that's all the HKS PowerFlow intake is. A piece of tube with a filter at the end. The Comptech foam filter replacement will not work if you plan to use it like you would, it only fits inside the stock air box. You need to get a "cone" style filter.

Removing and installing the stock box is a piece of cake. Takes 5-10 minutes at the most. I also had a Comptech drop in foam filter in the Hondata gutted stock box...it was ok. Replaced it with a SRI and it made a BIG difference in the upper RPMs. Low and mid range was the same :D Noise level went up x10 maybe x15 with the SRI, no joke. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
529 Posts
After buying a filter, and finding a piece of pipe/tube and the hose clamps...you're probably going to run it the same price as a Ebay SRI. Seriously check out the Ebay SRI's, cheap and works good for your money. Later down the road, you can replace the cheap Ebay filter for a nice Comptech foam cone style filter, or K&N cone filter, or something nicer if you want. Look at this on Ebay, only $18 buy it now + $18 for shipping, $36 total. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=2453356259

You can't beat that, you're already paying $20+ for one of those cheap ass cone filters at Autozone or Pepboys.

·
I am a non smoker
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks alot davidT for the response...as of now im not really sure what i want to do, i may just get a K&N drop in filter, would a K&N drop in filter void my warranty?

·
I am a non smoker
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow i may just get that intake u sent me, but im still thinking what i wanna do, i really hate messing with warranty issues...thanks again DavidT for all ur help!

·
Registered
275 Posts
would that SRI be very hard to intsall? and what kind of power/ sound gains would you get with it?

·
Registered
275 Posts
i should be getting one withen the next week, what do you think desert sand, silver, or eternal blue?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts