Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have 2002 Acura RSX-S. As of this summer my AC has not been working well. When I turn on the car...it blows cold air for a few minutes and then after that its not cold basic dry air. Every once in a while it will go back cold air for a short period of time along the trip. This is normally a bigger problem when the temperature is very hot outside.

For milder temperature it normally stays cold the whole time, but does tend to loose cold air sometimes too. I never had this problem till this summer and have lived in places with very hot weather.

I was wondering if someone can tell me what the problem is most likely and how much is about a fair price to get it fixed. I have limited auto knowledge and don't like it when I go the dealer/auto repair shop and they make a long estimate for repairs that are not needed. Thanks for your help!

·
likes to troubleshoot
2,539 Posts
Start with running the climate control unit diagnostics. Instructions start on pg 21-8 of the Helm.

·
DC5 Junkie
541 Posts
try this:

you need to look at the compressor and see if the clutch is engaging. You should here a click sound when the clutch engages, If you are lo on freon the clicking sound will come on and off rapidly.. like as in click,,,, click..... click... and so on.. if you hear one click and the air gets cold. it might just be the switch on the lo side a/c line gone bad and not letting the clutch run correctly..

·
02 blue type-s
312 Posts
I had a similar issue. Question-does the ac blow cold when you are MOVING and then get warm if you stop the car?

Our CRV did this and was driving me insane. Id start up the car in the heat to let it cool down and it would blow cold for a few seconds then get warm. But if we were driving along hiway speed it worked great.

Turns out the AC cooling fan (on the radiator) was wasted. When we were in motion ambient air would cool the condenser but as soon as we stopped moving it the air inside the car turned warm.

·
Registered
206 Posts
check the bottom of the compressor. If it has oil on it your compressor is going bad. If you allow it to get worse when it finally dies small pieces of metal will wind up in the system and you'll be replacing or trying to clean more parts.

If the compressor looks good I would take it to a oil change place that does a/c. Here is Dallas Kwik Kar does a good job and charges $70 to test the system. You are paying to use their fancy machine that can test the system for leaks. They can add freon for $29 per pound.

You can also go to a parts store and buy a can of freon that has a guage on it to help you add the correct amount. If you have a small leak that will fix it but it is usually not that easy.

If the system is low on freon the compressor will not turn on. The switch that detects this is on the dryer which is just below the battery. If you wind up changing the compressor make sure you also replace the dryer.

·
Chicks dig it
187 Posts
Lift the hood, turn on the AC and look at the compressor. The pulley should be turning. If it isn't the compressor is bad. If it is and you have no cold air at all, you probably have a leak. I'd check the condensor first since it sits in front of the radiator and can take a hit from anything that would cause a leak and drain the freon. Most freon kits come with dye in them now that will show you where the leak is. About $35 at all auto parts stores. Or you can have a shop try to charge the system for you. I had a local place try to charge mine when I had some other work done and it blew freon/dye out the front of the condensor. Easy fix for the cost of the condensor and the cost of recharging the system.

·
lurker status
289 Posts
Lift the hood, turn on the AC and look at the compressor. The pulley should be turning. If it isn't the compressor is bad. If it is and you have no cold air at all, you probably have a leak. I'd check the condensor first since it sits in front of the radiator and can take a hit from anything that would cause a leak and drain the freon. Most freon kits come with dye in them now that will show you where the leak is. About $35 at all auto parts stores. Or you can have a shop try to charge the system for you. I had a local place try to charge mine when I had some other work done and it blew freon/dye out the front of the condensor. Easy fix for the cost of the condensor and the cost of recharging the system.
just because the compressor isnt running, doesnt mean the compressor is bad. There are plenty of other issues such as electrical failure, poor ground, compressor clutch relay, climate control unit, etc. You can always try jumpstarting the compressor at the relay, if that doesnt work, then i believe that means the compressor is bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To rimmi2002.

Hi. I have a 2002 RSX and I am having exactly the same problem for the last couple of months.
If you got it resolved, please post here what was the problem and how to fix it.

An A/c technician checked my car and said the gas was Ok, and the compressor too.
Whenever the car wants it cools super, just like new. But then you never know when us going to leave you sweating.

If I find a solution, I will post it

PS. My fans were replaced with OEMs like 9 months ago. Both

·
Registered
827 Posts
Damn this seems like a common issue, mine is doin da same thing. Alot of good suggestions here im gonna start troubleshooting tomorroe

·
Registered
419 Posts
check the bottom of the compressor. If it has oil on it your compressor is going bad. If you allow it to get worse when it finally dies small pieces of metal will wind up in the system and you'll be replacing or trying to clean more parts.

If the compressor looks good I would take it to a oil change place that does a/c. Here is Dallas Kwik Kar does a good job and charges $70 to test the system. You are paying to use their fancy machine that can test the system for leaks. They can add freon for $29 per pound.

You can also go to a parts store and buy a can of freon that has a guage on it to help you add the correct amount. If you have a small leak that will fix it but it is usually not that easy.

If the system is low on freon the compressor will not turn on. The switch that detects this is on the dryer which is just below the battery. If you wind up changing the compressor make sure you also replace the dryer.

^ This.
I would say check your freon to see if your low, b/c same thing happened to mine couple weeks ago. Just added for freon and its blows A/C well. Everybody having the same issue w/their A/C but it could be a different problem. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the same problem and went through one of the hottest summers in Texas without ac. It's fall now... Lol. I've diagnosed the problem as a bad low pressure switch. Where exactly is this low pressure switch? So I can finally change it. I've had it evac and charged. Just need to get the clutch to turn on

·
swagu
174 Posts
i had the same problem as all you guys, i had someone check the a/c and said everything was fine and it would blow cold air then after a while hot, it turns out that my a/c clutch was loose all it needed was tightining now it works perfect and blows cold.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Replaced the ac condenser fan and everything was fine. Now today right back to the same thing. On cold for a little while, then blows hot, then back to cold.

Why does the ac on the RSX suck so much?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hot air @ idle.

I had the same issue, while the car was in motion the AC PERFORMED AWESOME. But while the car was at idle, the AC would not kick on. I live in Houston and work in the valley. Unfortunately, the AC went out on me on my way to the South Texas. Immediately getting there i took it to reliable known mechanic, he put his guages on there and saw an immediate 150psi on the low side. This is way too much he said, based on the ambient temperature my system pressure was supposed to be between 45-50psi. We looked the compressor, the pulley was moving but the clutch was not engaging. He tested the AC relay switch and it was sending the signal, just that the clutch was not receiving it. I decided to change the compressor, drier, and the expansion valve. Flushed the system and changed the oil from the new compressor. The AC feels lovely now, but at idle the car still seems to be a tad warmer. Blows cold now, im just convinced that it should be a lot cooler. should i change out my condenser fan? I also did the cabin filters btw. Any and all help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts