Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
--------------------
28,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright well today I back out of my driveway, hear a little bit of a pop but I usually do so I don't think of it much. I put it into first and start driving, all of a sudden I notice the steering wheel feels very "loose" like I turn it and it has sort a delay before it turns.

It also requires me to keep my hands on the steering wheels to keep it from sharply pulling in both directions.

I don't think it can be my power steering since the steering wheel actually moves...but I'm not sure what else it can be. I went to Discount Tire co. two days ago to get my wheels balanced, but then drove all of yesterday and it felt fine. :dontknow:

Can anyone shed some light on this? I missed out on a Midwest CRSX meet because of this. :mad:

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,245 Posts
You might also check that your wheels are on okay. If the tire guy screwed up and didn't tighten the wheel down properly, you wheel may have come loose when you heard the pop. Whenever something happens to a car, I always try and make a correlation between the problem and any work that was recently done, especially any mods. Works most of the time.

edit: hope that pop wasn't one of your wheel lugs shearing off.

·
--------------------
28,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might also check that your wheels are on okay. If the tire guy screwed up and didn't tighten the wheel down properly, you wheel may have come loose when you heard the pop. Whenever something happens to a car, I always try and make a correlation between the problem and any work that was recently done, especially any mods. Works most of the time.

edit: hope that pop wasn't one of your wheel lugs shearing off.
I took both wheels off and everything appeared fine. :(

So it definitely isn't an alignment issue? I never had my car aligned after I put on my new wheels...

·
9,245 Posts
Jack up one wheel (securely), have the steering wheel locked, then crawl under that side right under the suspension and move the wheel back and forth. You are looking for something moving that shouldn't move: the outer tie rod end by the steering arm, the ball joint at the base of the steering knuckle, the inner tie rod end by the transmission.

·
--------------------
28,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jack up one wheel (securely), have the steering wheel locked, then crawl under that side right under the suspension and move the wheel back and forth. You are looking for something moving that shouldn't move: the outer tie rod end by the steering arm, the ball joint at the base of the steering knuckle, the inner tie rod end by the transmission.
Def. will try that tomorrow.

Move the steering wheel with the car on? or off?

·
9,245 Posts
ahh gotcha.

So if there is movement, thats a bad sign.
The ball inside the ball joint or tie rod end is designed to swivel as the wheel turns and the suspension moves up and down. There should be absolutely no side to side play at all within those joints, otherwise they must be replaced. If this isn't your problem, then you need futher diagnosis. Other possibilities are coilover/strut problems, loose control arm, loose subframe. Have you done any other work on the car lately?

·
--------------------
28,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The ball inside the ball joint or tie rod end is designed to swivel as the wheel turns and the suspension moves up and down. There should be absolutely no side to side play at all within those joints, otherwise they must be replaced. If this isn't your problem, then you need futher diagnosis. Other possibilities are coilover/strut problems, loose control arm, loose subframe. Have you done any other work on the car lately?
Hmm...I got the Tein SS-P coilovers put on maybe 2 months ago so that shouldnt be an issue. My lastest addition was definitely putting on the wheels and getting them balanced on Thursday.

·
9,245 Posts
You're car is 5 years old, these parts don't last forever. When you get under the car for an inspection, the first clue to problem joints is torn seals (boots). This will allow dirt and water to enter the joint and accelerate deterioration.

·
--------------------
28,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, took the car for another drive.

It pulls HARD to the left. Steering wheel still feels "loose" and easy to toggle.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts