Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mercedes Benz w204 C350
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some useful informations for going all motor on your A3. I am no guru I just wanted to start a useful thread for people wanting to go all motor on the a3. If you see any errors or would like to add something, please post it and I'll edit the first post! :thumbsup:

-Are Cams availabe?
Yes they are! The only companies that make cams for the a3 style head are Skunk2 and Brian Crower. Skunk2 has stage 1, stage 2, stage 3, and turbo cams. Brian Crower has stage 2 NA and FI, stage 3 which is NA.

skunk2 http://www.skunk2.com/engine-2.php?code=CSTK20A3
Brian Crower http://briancrower.com/makes/honda/k20a3k24a.shtml

-What other parts do I need to run Cams?
You will need valve springs and retainers. Both skunk2 and Brian Crower has them.
You will also need Hondata Kpro. Although the Skunk2 stage 1 cams will run with stock ecu, it is recommended you have Hondata Kpro to take full advantage of the cams.
You will also need bigger injectors. You can opt for the K20a2 injectors(310cc) as well as the Acura RDX injectors (410cc). RC Engineering and Precision are the two companies that are most used with the k-series. Remember you need 12 ohm injectors.

-Will I be ok to rev higher?
This question is very debatable. Some have been successful revving the k20a3 to 8500. Some have not. With the right combination of oil (I use 15w 50) it is safe to rev the a3 bottom end that high. Do it at your own risk. If it blows up, it isn't anyone's fault but yours.

-How does the k20a3 head flow?
Honestly k20a3 head doesn't flow as well as the other k-series heads. The solution to this is a k24a1 head which flows very well. here is a graph that's been floating around that shows the flow of the k24a1 head vs k20a2 vs k24a2 head.

They still utilize the same style vtec as the k20a3 and will be a good match with the cams.

-What choice of intake manifolds do I have?
There are 2 choices for intake manifolds right now. The PRC which comes from the Type R and RBC which can be found in the 06 and up civic si. The RBC will require minor modifications to fit under the hood and a Karcepts adapter for the throttle body. The PRC will be a direct bolt on.

-What other parts should I buy?
If you buy cams, get yourself a raceheader. Cold Air Intake is also nice to have. And an exhaust.

-What precautions should I take?
Please and PLEASE PLEASE get your car dyno tuned if you can as soon as you are done with the install. If you can't, at least get it street tuned by someone who knows what they are doing.
When swapping k24a1 head and adding cams, please check to see for piston to valve contact. There has been 2 people that had this problem, and both time was k20a3 bottom end utilizing the k24a1 head. Both of these cases were with stage 3 cams. However, there are other people with stage 3 cams on k20a3 head that doesn't have this problem. In other words, clay your motor and check the clearance when swapping heads.

-Is it worth it?
Most people will say, it's not worth it and to just swap in a k20a2. But a few, will tell you that it's worth it. It's really up to you. Swap or cams, you will be faster than before :thumbsup:

-Where can I buy these parts?
You can buy almost all the parts you need on this site! clubep3.net's store!! If you don't find it here, there are plenty of other online parts store.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey guys am new hear and i would like some help if every one hear can give me a good advice i realy dont wana go for a full swap but i was thinking maybe a K24a1 or whatever on my K20A3 block with some mods like K pro bolt ons some internals rods springs valves pistons JRSC am not sure i dont know to much about K motors iwas realy looking to pushing 250 or 260 WHP rev to a higher RPM like maybe 9000 like i said i dont know to much but thats what am looking for so please if any 1 has like a good idea or a better way please dont mind helping me thankx aloooooooot

·
Registered
70 Posts
old thread but i was wondering if any one has used the BC stage 2 cams? im looking to go with shorty headers, BC stage2's, and some other goodies to make her runs smoother.. any ideas, probloems or specs guys?

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
I think the numbers for that was around 160-170whp.....but remember you will need kpro and valve springs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think the numbers for that was around 160-170whp.....but remember you will need kpro and valve springs.
ya i will keep that in mind before i buy cause i would want it all at once if i go this route instead of turbo. but well see where the money is at. ya know. 160 170 to the wheels is not to bad of a upgrade. :D plus the sound helps too

·
New Avi Crew
215 Posts
Do you need Kpro with stage 1 cams? cause the origanl post implies you do not. I understand that Kpro helps get the full potential. Or does not having Kpro make any cam swap meaningless?
if they are s2 stage 1 cams, you can put the cams in and drive without kpro. You can get it down the road to get the full potential out of the cams.

·
Registered
47 Posts
im new to the website but im always on ephatch....i was reading that u can only use 2 diifrent intake manifolds prc, rbc . . . .i recentanly bought from some1 eles a skunk2 intake manifold he had it on his ep3 but he pasted a blot where the antifrezz flows therw the engine . . .he said he ran it a diffrent way . . .my question is is there one for ep3 now from skunk2 ? if there is does it need modifactions ? becuase this thred is from 2008 n i jus bought this intake manifold may 2 months ago

·
Master DIY'er in training
1,630 Posts
im new to the website but im always on ephatch....i was reading that u can only use 2 diifrent intake manifolds prc, rbc . . . .i recentanly bought from some1 eles a skunk2 intake manifold he had it on his ep3 but he pasted a blot where the antifrezz flows therw the engine . . .he said he ran it a diffrent way . . .my question is is there one for ep3 now from skunk2 ? if there is does it need modifactions ? becuase this thred is from 2008 n i jus bought this intake manifold may 2 months ago
You can use prb which is stock manifold. Prc which is form the type r I believe. And rbc which is from accords I think.

Go to skunk 2 and look around.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can use prb which is stock manifold. Prc which is form the type r I believe. And rbc which is from accords I think.

Go to skunk 2 and look around.
i have a skunk2 for ep3 but like i said the guy who had it b4 me pasted someting on it to block the flow of antifrezz from the maniold to block . . he said he ran it a diffrent way...ive bin lookin for this for 2 months since i got the mani . .so the mani is jus sitting in my house -_-

·
New Avi Crew
215 Posts
i have a skunk2 for ep3 but like i said the guy who had it b4 me pasted someting on it to block the flow of antifrezz from the maniold to block . . he said he ran it a diffrent way...ive bin lookin for this for 2 months since i got the mani . .so the mani is jus sitting in my house -_-
let me look at mine again tonight

·
Master DIY'er in training
1,630 Posts
Well I know with the rbc mani you cute a chunk off when using with the a3. Not what thats for though lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts