Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

alpine iva-d310 help with amp hookup please

3K views 16 replies 2 participants last post by  nsted3 
#1 ·
I have an alpine iva-d310 indash monitor where the brain is under the drivers seat. I currently have components up front and upgraded speakers in the back. I am using the stock bose amp and sub. What I want to do is pull the stock bose amp, sub and wire mess out of the car and purchase a 4 channel amp to power my speakers. I want to run fresh wire (Im guessing RCA's) to each speaker. What I need to know is how exactly would I hookup an amp to my alpine iva-d310 brain and where would I run my speaker wire from? Also If I wanted to purchase a powered subwoofer where would this be hooked up to? Thanks guys.

#3 ·
Rca's go from the HU (or Brain) to the amp. Speaker wires run from the amp ro the speakers, With comps up front you most likely will be running from amp to Xover then the xover to the speakers. I have a hard time believing the speakers are 2 Ohm though as there are very few 2 ohm components on the market and next to nothing in the way of 2 ohm Coax's in either case if they are 2 ohm then they are probably some Infinity stuff which if you have it dump it as it is crap, Harsh high's and no Midbass = No SQ.

On the Amps I wouldn't do either , Pioneer amps are well very ho-hum , not real powerful same goes for the Alpine (other than the PDX Line), as both only make their rated power at 14.4 volts and 1% THD wich is IMHO unacceptable as the RSX tends to sit at 13.6-13.8 volts with the engine running and if you are running AC and other accessories that will drop. Moving up in Alpines to the MRP-F600 would compensate for the power loss as it is rated at 100x4 under the same parameters and you would likely see 80x4 or so out of it real world.

#4 ·
Thanks for the response, I understand the hookup clearly now. As for the speakers.......they are JBL GTO627 and GTO607C. They are both grand touring series and they both say 2ohms. So you are saying I need new components up front and regulars in back? What do you recommend? Whats a good amp as well? I like my high along with my mids and bass. Once I am done with my hookup if I am not happy with my base I want to add a powered subwoofer. I dont care for earth shattering bass but I want to hear it.

#5 ·
Ahh Forgot JBL was doing 2 ohm as well They are infinity's parent anyway....But their speakers tend to be better in the midbass region highs can still be somewhat harsh though.... You should be able to get away with the Alpine MRP-F300 as at 2 ohms it will be close to the limits of the speakers RMS capability.

As for base, I am not a fan of powered sub's, a single 10 with a 300 watt or so amp is plenty to be better than stock and the setup can be done for about the same amount as a powered setup. The Rockford Fosgate R500-1 prime series is actually cheap (160ish depending on where you get it) and pretty decent Amp wise (prime subs are kinda iffy) and pick up an eD 11 Kv.2 and you have sun and amp for 250 all you need after that is a box and wiring.

#6 ·
only reason I was leaning towards a powered sub is because my car is setup as a drag car per say and it is easy to remove and Im not a fan of having a box and 2 amps in the trunk. I figured I could tuck the amp in the spare tire well and just have a powered sub in the corner of the trunk. The powered sub would be a maybe anyway though because I may not even want it after I see what the speakers are even capable of once they are powered by an amp. Do you think my speakers are decent enough? Right now just adding an amp should put me in an entirely different world I would think compared to my bose system and speaker hookup I have now. Right now the driver said plays louder than the passenger and there is no base coming from the door panels due to not by passing the bose amp.

#7 ·
should be fine with your speakers, as for the sub setup, powered sub or regular sub it is still and amp and sub. You could setup either with a barrier strip for power, ground, and remote for a 3 screw removal of box and amp.

#9 ·
it will be louder, clearer, and have more bass.

#10 ·
bringing this thread back alive for a final question (I hope) as I am in the middle of wiring my car. Right now I have the bose harness with the rca's coming off of it in my car, do I need to buy the other standard harness without the rca's? I am pulling the bose amp and sub out now. I am going to run rca's from my amp to my brain for the hu under my seat. I am running speaker wire from my amp to each speaker. Im just confused on what harness adapter I now need and what wires need to be connected, Im guessing not all of them?

#11 ·
If you are running lines from the amp to the speakers you don't need a new harness you simply unplug the RCA's from the harness and run them to the amp.

#14 ·
you no longer need the metra harnesses RCA's if you are running all aftermarket amplification

#16 ·
really happy with the turnout. The install looks top notch. Only 2 things that I am dissapointed with, one being I yanked a wire out from my one dash tweeter so I need to order another one to really hear what everything sounds like, the other is now I have rediculous bass coming from my backseat speakers and it doesnt sound good to me, it would be fine it it were a woofer but because of the hole I guess in the speaker for the tweeter it just sounds awful, dont know how to describe it. Any suggestions? Hopefully you know what kind of sound I am talking about........Im thinking about getting a small subwoofer for the back because I miss that little Bose already, hopefully buying one would cover up the bass coming from the backseat speakers. I have more bass coming from the backseat speakers than the woofers in my front doors.

#17 ·
Okay I figured out the sound problem, I didnt have the switches and knobs adjusted correctly on my amp, everything sounds amazing now. I even got my stock bose sub wired up to my hu's brain. I am only running 6 out of the 7 speakers though as my one tweeter is still broken, I ordered a replacment and it will be here sometime this week and then Ill be set, cant wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.