Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006, Acura, RSX, Type-S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Thought Id stop boring my girlfriend to tears talking about my car and join a club with people who love their car as much as i do.
Today I finished a project: install headers and full exhaust on my 06 Rsx-s.
I started her up for the first time this evening, sounds pretty mean, hopefully not too ricer but who cares really.
But I started thinking, is this too much? is it too loud? am i too old for it to be so loud?....

I still think its pretty cool...

Thanks,
Acura.Black.Rsx

·
Registered
2006, Acura, RSX, Type-S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Guys,
So I took it for a ride down the street and it was so loud w/o the silencer haha!
I was like "oh shit" haha...still sounds awesome w/ the silencer though..

Side note:
I wrapped my new headers but im still worried about melting any hoses/etc....you guys have any experience with wrapped headers outputting more heat than the wraps can handle?

Thanks!
Acura.Black.Rsxs

·
#Inkpot
5,143 Posts
Thought Id stop boring my girlfriend to tears talking about my car and join a club with people who love their car as much as i do.
lololol I think we can all relate there.

The header wrap should be more than enough to be honest. Ooc, what are you using for a header and exhaust? Realistically, it shouldnt be TOO loud, but there are some real fart cans out there too. Worst case, you could swap in a more robust muffler.

Also, if thats your car in your avatar, it looks cleaaaan.

·
Registered
2006, Acura, RSX, Type-S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lololol I think we can all relate there.

The header wrap should be more than enough to be honest. Ooc, what are you using for a header and exhaust? Realistically, it shouldnt be TOO loud, but there are some real fart cans out there too. Worst case, you could swap in a more robust muffler.

Also, if thats your car in your avatar, it looks cleaaaan.

Hey Kevin,
Yes, that is my car :)
Unfortunately she isnt looking that clean anymore, I had a spin out and got the front&back bumpers a bit scuffed up...brightside, I get to learn a new hobby, bodywork lol

So, I installed megan racing headers (wrapped them) and a Spec-D exhaust (Skunk2 was wicked expensive haha), I was worried it was going to sound too fart can but it actually sounds mean AF haha...a little too mean, sounds like it has more power than it actually does haha!

But yeah, I ended up ordering double-walled embossed aluminum sheet to make my own heat-shield (I was a little paranoid about melting anything)

Thanks,
Acura.Black

·
#Inkpot
5,143 Posts
Haha coincidentally, I also just built a heat shield.

Too bad about the scuffing, but new useful(potentially lucrative) hobbies are never a bad thing :)

Are you running Kpro with all that new hardware?

·
Registered
2006, Acura, RSX, Type-S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! nice shield! what did you build it on? that doesnt look like the engine bay of an RSX--and no i havent ordered it yet, to be honest I dont know what I have to do with it (kpro) or which to order...any advise?

·
Registered
2006, Acura, RSX, Type-S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
#Inkpot
5,143 Posts
Yep, thats what you need. You might be able to find one used. Gotta look into the pros/cons of that though. With an 05/06 you need the conversion harness, a PRB (02-04) ECU, and then yeah the Kpro mod(they put a second board into to the ECU). OR you can get one used and sacrifice your immobilizer. Thats the quick and dirty version anyways. I believe you need a wideband 02 sensor as well actually.

With that you can basically make sure you're running a correct fuel map. Its considered best practice to run Kpro after going up to a race header to make sure the engine isnt running too lean(and therefore real hot) with all that extra flow. If you were to go to an RBC manifold, you'd definitely need Kpro.

But yeah, my pic above is on my miata. I wanted to Kwap it reaaallll bad but thats something like 11k from having a miata to having an ideal Kswapped miata. So like 17-20 starting from nothing and getting a decent miata lol.

The heat shield is just some flat aluminum stock that I bent up, wrapped with gold heat reflect tape and put some edge capping on. Its actually pretty haggard on the parts you cant see but its also super shiny and gold so no one will ever look at/see the haggard bits haha.

·
Registered
2006, Acura, RSX, Type-S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i like the gold touch, that's a good idea!--I hope mine comes out as neat, i honestly dont know how im going to do it because my headers are in the back.

·
Registered
2006, Acura, RSX, Type-S
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, thats what you need. You might be able to find one used. Gotta look into the pros/cons of that though. With an 05/06 you need the conversion harness, a PRB (02-04) ECU, and then yeah the Kpro mod(they put a second board into to the ECU). OR you can get one used and sacrifice your immobilizer. Thats the quick and dirty version anyways. I believe you need a wideband 02 sensor as well actually.

With that you can basically make sure you're running a correct fuel map. Its considered best practice to run Kpro after going up to a race header to make sure the engine isnt running too lean(and therefore real hot) with all that extra flow. If you were to go to an RBC manifold, you'd definitely need Kpro.

But yeah, my pic above is on my miata. I wanted to Kwap it reaaallll bad but thats something like 11k from having a miata to having an ideal Kswapped miata. So like 17-20 starting from nothing and getting a decent miata lol.

The heat shield is just some flat aluminum stock that I bent up, wrapped with gold heat reflect tape and put some edge capping on. Its actually pretty haggard on the parts you cant see but its also super shiny and gold so no one will ever look at/see the haggard bits haha.

I was looking to get a miata a while back, id love to join the club and drive it on a track or something

·
#Inkpot
5,143 Posts
i like the gold touch, that's a good idea!--I hope mine comes out as neat, i honestly dont know how im going to do it because my headers are in the back.
A big sheet of aluminum, a big rubber mallet and some self tapping screws lolol. I cant even really picture the geometry behind the engine anymore actually. Best of luck though. Im sure folks here will be interested to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys,

Thought Id stop boring my girlfriend to tears talking about my car and join a club with people who love their Nox Vidmate VLC car as much as i do.
Today I finished a project: install headers and full exhaust on my 06 Rsx-s.
I started her up for the first time this evening, sounds pretty mean, hopefully not too ricer but who cares really.
But I started thinking, is this too much? is it too loud? am i too old for it to be so loud?....

I still think its pretty cool...

Thanks,
Acura.Black.Rsx
Too bad about the scuffing, but new useful(potentially lucrative) hobbies are never a bad thing :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts