Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
430,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you can't find a box for your wheels or are just not sure how to ship them? Here's an easy way to do it through the post office and it won't cost you much...

First, you will need to go to a office supply store, like Staples. For a set of fours wheels you will need to purchase about 80 yards of 1.5"-2" wide tape and a roll of USPS approved brown packaging paper (about $4). The heavier/thicker the paper the better and the roll needs to be at least 30 inches wide by 24 feet long. (each wheels uses about 6 feet of paper)

Now you're ready to start packing. Lay out a piece of packing paper long enough to cover the whole tire (about 70 inches long) on the floor. Place the tire directly in the middle of the paper face up. Now ball up newspaper or packaging paper and push it through the spokes to create fill for the back of the paper so it won't tear when thrown around during shipping.

Once the rim is full of packed paper, place some bubble wrap on the spokes then place a piece of cardboard over that to protect the face of the rim. (You can also put a piece on the back of the tire if it makes you feel more comfortable.) Now just wrap the paper closed like a present and tape it up. I did make sure to run 3 or 4 tape strips across the front and back of the wheel to give the paper more support. (the tape makes it look like it has spokes) I also ran three strips of tape along the tread side of the tire.

Using 30" wide paper you'll wind up with a small 4"x1" patch of tire exposed along the tread side of the tire but that's okay, cover it with tape and it'll be fine.

To find out how much the shipping will be, measure and weigh your tires and use the USPS calculator to figure out how much it will cost to ship:

https://postcalc.usps.com/

*found this info buried in this forum, so i thought i stickied it and share the info with you guys. hope it helps with shipping wheels or other big items

I will leave this thread open for anyone with questions or if you have pictures of how you wrap your wheels. If you have a different or better method to do this, please share with everyone as well :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
430,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was told you should deflate since the air does weight something even if a little, any weight saving does help...:dontknow:

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,195 Posts
Fill 'em up with helium then, lol. But seriously, I think the protection benefits outweigh (hah) the weight savings.

Aha! Here check this out: http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/21237/how-much-does-tire-pressure-affect-the-weight-of-the-wheels
Similar, and obviously bike tires have less air volume, but if you search for "truck tire" in those answers, he was able to measure 5lbs of air (at 115psi). I'd imagine 1 to maybe 2 pounds of weight per RSX tire (not much, but I hear ya). I just cringe at the thought of a bent rim, so an extra pound of air is worth it to me. I think Tire Rack ships their mounted tires filled

1 - 5 of 5 Posts