Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

261 - 280 of 335 Posts

·
.♥
10,293 Posts
I didn't have my fenders rolled until I got the Volks.
Check out my earlier pics with the BBS RS. Those are 17x9 +35, 245/40/17 tires, and about -2.5 camber.
I just looked. Yeah, that's perfect, pretty much exactly what I want. Is it really -2.5 camber? Doesn't look like there's much more than stock camber.

·
DC5 Gang***ger
19,030 Posts
I didn't have my fenders rolled until I got the Volks.
Check out my earlier pics with the BBS RS. Those are 17x9 +35, 245/40/17 tires, and about -2.5 camber.
nicee im thinking of doing -1.5 front and -2.5 rear when i mount my 18x9.5

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
I just looked. Yeah, that's perfect, pretty much exactly what I want. Is it really -2.5 camber? Doesn't look like there's much more than stock camber.
Basically, I made it as close to the lip in the fender as I could and still not rub. It was still quite obvious that there was a gap.

nicee im thinking of doing -1.5 front and -2.5 rear when i mount my 18x9.5
-2.5 is quite a bit, but not bad if it's in the back. For -1.5 for the front is perfect.

Heres mine since we are sticking to black. View attachment 494850
This is not what this thread is for :firemad:

·
DC5 Gang***ger
19,030 Posts
-2.5 is quite a bit, but not bad if it's in the back. For -1.5 for the front is perfect.
yeah -1.5 front and -2/5 rear but i might learn towards -2.3 it all depends hwo the tires fit on 18x9.5 i really dont want to look hellaflush since its my dd but i want to make 245/40 fit . i dont like the stretch look of 235

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
yeah -1.5 front and -2/5 rear but i might learn towards -2.3 it all depends hwo the tires fit on 18x9.5 i really dont want to look hellaflush since its my dd but i want to make 245/40 fit . i dont like the stretch look of 235
Well, it will probably look similar to mine. I've grown to hate my 245/40 over 9.5" - too much stretch. Can't wait to get 255, but too broke to even afford the costs of mount and balance right now :/

·
DC5 Gang***ger
19,030 Posts
Well, it will probably look similar to mine. I've grown to hate my 245/40 over 9.5" - too much stretch. Can't wait to get 255, but too broke to even afford the costs of mount and balance right now :/
your on 17x9.5, im trying to go 245 on 18x9.5 which will be more difficult. the bfgoodridge comp tires ive heard from numerous people fit and look a size up. so a 245 will look like a 255 on many wheels

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Hey y'all, so I finally took the time to investigate the obnoxious knocking and rattling I've been experiencing for a while.
Turned out one of the allen bolts on my Brembo caliper was loose. So the whole caliper would move side to side. Glad I caught it before something bad happened. Another major noise-maker was a loose sway bar link. Got that tightened nicely.
Also, the spherical bearing on the Tein top hat is a bit loose, but not as bad as I thought. Should last for another year, I think.

Question:

I noticed some vertical wheel play on the driver side. I can tell that the brake disk is moving while the caliper is stationary.
I took off the brake disk and played with the hub - there is definitely some vertical play and it seems like the axle is moving on the other side of the knuckle as I wiggle the hub.
Is that enough diagnosis to say the wheel bearing needs replaced or is it possible that the axle nut is a little loose? I don't have a socket this large, but I tried tightening it with a wrench and couldn't move it at all.
Would you guys recommend replacing the bearing or the whole knuckle? I don't have the tools to pull and press the bearing.

Pic for fun

·
Registered
650 Posts
i just replaced my wheel bearing last weekend. I did it all myself, the bearing was like $45. Any decent shop should be able to press the bearing out and in for not that much, it only takes 5min. But maybe it just is your axel nut. Cause i was worried after i put everything back together there was a little play, but when i torqued my axel nut everything was fine.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
i just replaced my wheel bearing last weekend. I did it all myself, the bearing was like $45. Any decent shop should be able to press the bearing out and in for not that much, it only takes 5min. But maybe it just is your axel nut. Cause i was worried after i put everything back together there was a little play, but when i torqued my axel nut everything was fine.
Hey, thanks for the tip.
My fiance's Suzuki just blew a head gasket, so the RSX will be working for both of us for now.
I guess I will pick up a socket and try to tighten the nut first. I've read the ball joint on the knuckle can be a bitch to separate. Hope I don't have to deal with that.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Trust me ball joints used to be my worst enemy. Heres a trick i learned last weekend that saved my life. Go to oreily or pepboys, autozone doesnt carry it. and rent the PitMan Arm puller, make sure its the bigger one. When you get to this stage in the picture push the spindle towards the engine bay and fit the puller onto the control arm, a couple turns and its out, without damaging the ball joint :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Trust me ball joints used to be my worst enemy. Heres a trick i learned last weekend that saved my life. Go to oreily or pepboys, autozone doesnt carry it. and rent the PitMan Arm puller, make sure its the bigger one. When you get to this stage in the picture push the spindle towards the engine bay and fit the puller onto the control arm, a couple turns and its out, without damaging the ball joint :D
Looks pretty straight forward from that picture. Thanks again!
So what brand bearing did you buy and where? Based on my research, the oem brand is NTN and those are quite expensive from the dealer ($74 online).
RockAuto sells Timken bearings for $25. People say it's a good brand for any bearing.
What did you pick up for $45?

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's an amazing machine :love:

Out of curiosity, how feasible is it to retrofit a pair of headlights as you did? I'm a novice when it comes to electrical work (soldering/cutting/splicing etc.) but good at paying attention to detail and instructions.

Is there a DIY you would recommend? Thanks :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
It's an amazing machine :love:

Out of curiosity, how feasible is it to retrofit a pair of headlights as you did? I'm a novice when it comes to electrical work (soldering/cutting/splicing etc.) but good at paying attention to detail and instructions.

Is there a DIY you would recommend? Thanks :D
I'd say, the retrofit project was the hardest of all the things I've done to my car.
It is feasible if you have lots of patience. Definitely not a project for a sloppy hand.

You have to cut a hole in the headlight housing to fit the projector. If you cut too much, the shroud will sit too deep and the whole thing may not even fit the headlight anymore. Gotta work at it slowly and test-fit the projector and the shroud many times (making sure the projector is perfectly perpendicular). Then you need to figure a way to secure the projector and the shroud firmly. I couldn't trust JB weld to hold the projectors, so I used long skinny bolts to hold mine in place. Then used steel wire to hold the shroud nicely. I put double nuts on the long bolts, then wrapped the wire around them and then secured the whole thing with JB weld. You wouldn't believe, but it still came loose after some time and my shroud fell out, so I had to take them apart again.
After that, there were moisture issues, so I had to take them apart and re-seal yet again.

Pain in the ass, but it's one of the most rewarding things you can do. It just feels like driving a nicer car at night.

I used Lexus projectors and they were quite large. It is probably easier with TSX projectors. Much easier if you use Mini H1 kit, but I'm not sure if the output is worth the trouble.

This thread was a huge help to me, but I still tweaked it my own way:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=974058

Oh, and the electrical part was really simple. I used the Lexus ignitors that came with the projectors and just spliced the wires to the Lexus plug.

·
Registered
114 Posts
:rest:(

Oh well, maybe one day I'll have enough money to just pay someone do it for me. :rotfl:

Thanks for the detailed reply :thumbsup:

261 - 280 of 335 Posts