Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went down today :(

I was at a intersection and tried to do a U-turn then Bam my bike was hugging the asphalt.
I was in first gear don't remember how fast I was going maybe 10mph.

What the hell happened :ugh:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was counter-steering but I guess not enough.
I wasn't looking into the turn either.

No more riding for me.
At least not till I replace the turn signal on my bike =[

8,021 Posts
when you go that slow, you usually remember what happened. Did the bike just tip over or did the front or rear end slide out on you?

8,021 Posts
There's really only 2 reasons I can think of for tipping at a slow speed while turning:

Use of front brake
Target fixation

Edit: P.S. I ride without turn signals or mirrors. :[ It's just cosmetics. Get out and ride!
target fixation going that slow? I wouldnt think it would be that since he said the next thing he knows, he was on the ground.

He probably hit the front brakes too hard like you said, or he twisted the throttle too hard or hit something slippery and the back end stepped out.

·
'89 'til INFINITY
3,510 Posts
target fixation going that slow? I wouldnt think it would be that since he said the next thing he knows, he was on the ground.

He probably hit the front brakes too hard like you said, or he twisted the throttle too hard or hit something slippery and the back end stepped out.
Yeah, probably not looking far enough ahead and fixating on the ground in front of him is what I mean. Just like the box in MSF, it makes it infinitely easier to execute that turn when you look far ahead. I remember while practicing I would put the foot on the ground sometimes that I fear I might fall. That happened when I just concentrated on the ground infront of me, once I kept my eyes up it was cake.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been riding my ninja 250 for 2 summers this would be the 3 summer.

Someone pointed out target fixation, yes I was distracted by a car that was in my view and I didn't look to where I needed to go. I remember this silver camry coming towards me and I panic.
I don't think I should ride anymore :confused:

After the fall I was experiencing shock.
I remember trying to start the bike while it was still in gear and not holding in the clutch. No wonder the engine didn't start :rolleyes:

I hate doing U-turns now. Anyone just try to avoid U-turns all together?

·
'89 'til INFINITY
3,510 Posts
I think it might have been just your ego that was hurt.

Don't sweat it, go to a parking lot and start doing u-turns.

When I wrecked I was scared of turns, even as far as feeling scared when learning my bike, so I just went around my apartment complex doing turns non-stop. I know the feeling. I don't think an incident like this should stop you from riding, but if that's what you want, go for it.

·
LOL wut
8,728 Posts
i hate u-turns also but it aint gonna stop me from riding my bike...i was on this upgrade hill and made a u-turn and almost tipped my bike... just stay calm and turn your head ALL the way (exaggerate the look where you wanna go) and ease the clutch/gas

and yeah what someone said earlier...go to a parking lot and practice...if you think its hard to do a u turn in your ninja? try a supersport...ur gonna be taking 5 lanes

·
'89 'til INFINITY
3,510 Posts
^Bad advice, dood.

Not only are they required, I wouldn't ride my bike without them.
I'm not advising him to do it, but it's no big deal for me. He's saying he can't ride his bike because one turn signal is broken and I'm just saying, I ride with no turn signals except for my rear integrated and I have no mirrors because I have no upper fairing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts