Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2002 base auto. About 172,000 on her now. Had her for about a year and a half. Since then i've added a AEM CAI, Spec-D Tuning Exaust, PQY Technologies Performance Fuel Rail, And to top it off a Volo VP16 Power Prgrammer.(And before you say any smirk comments, Look @ Title!) Anyways does anyone have any advice for me??? And no I LOVE my semi-auto mode, I'll go as far as getting cams & kpro but no im fine with my "SHIFT-TABILITY". Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
What advice are you looking for? You haven’t even stated what you’re trying to do. Just based off of what I’ve read, my advice is do stop buying parts without researching them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a 2002 base auto. About 172,000 on her now. Had her for about a year and a half. Since then i've added a AEM CAI, Spec-D Tuning Exaust, PQY Technologies Performance Fuel Rail, And to top it off a Volo VP16 Power Programmer.(And before you say any smirk comments, Look @ Title!) Anyways does anyone have any advice for me??? And no I LOVE my semi-auto mode, I'll go as far as getting cams & kpro but no im fine with my "SHIFT-TABILITY". Thanks!!
I'm looking forward to turbocharging my automatic, if not supercharge. My goal is just to improve performance within parameters, I wanna be able to pass this down to my would-be son or daughter in the
near future....

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm looking forward to turbocharging my automatic, if not supercharge.
One is very different from the other. Do your research to determine which system better fits your goals of staying within those parameters you mentioned.

A base model with automatic transmission has been the choice platform for some people in the past but I would not recommend it. I'm not sure the transmission will survive.

How do you like that Volo? Lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think this is the classic example of "I don't know what I want to do to my car" and "I don't know how aftermarket parts work". You initially say "I'll go as far as getting cams & kpro", but then say "I'm looking forward to turbocharging my automatic, if not supercharge. My goal is just to improve performance within parameters"

Here are 3 questions that would help narrow down what you actually want:
1. How much do you want to spend?
2. How much horsepower do you want to make?
3. Do you have your own garage and do you feel comfortable working on your own car?

You say you want to pass this on to your future kids. If that's the case, reliability should be your main concern. Guess what? More power = more stress on your car's components. More stress = things are more likely to break. I hope you're ready to throw more money at this car because that's what you'll need if you want to keep this car long enough for your future kids to see in 18+ years.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Swap in an RB26DETT. It's easy.
Lmao, better yet, just LS swap it. Its just like in the video games. You just click on the engine swap you want and poof, instant horsepower increase without having to worry about reliability issues on the trans.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I'm looking forward to turbocharging my automatic, if not supercharge. My goal is just to improve performance within parameters, I wanna be able to pass this down to my would-be son or daughter in the
near future....
Start saving money. You can run 6-8 psi on stock internals without beating on her, but you should be building the block and trans if you want to pass this down to your kids and still be reliable. In reality, modding a Base Auto is not cost effective. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My advice is to just stop and just save up for an electric sports car. It’ll probably be better suited for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think this is the classic example of "I don't know what I want to do to my car" and "I don't know how aftermarket parts work". You initially say "I'll go as far as getting cams & kpro", but then say "I'm looking forward to turbocharging my automatic, if not supercharge. My goal is just to improve performance within parameters"

Here are 3 questions that would help narrow down what you actually want:
1. How much do you want to spend?
2. How much horsepower do you want to make?
3. Do you have your own garage and do you feel comfortable working on your own car?

You say you want to pass this on to your future kids. If that's the case, reliability should be your main concern. Guess what? More power = more stress on your car's components. More stress = things are more likely to break. I hope you're ready to throw more money at this car because that's what you'll need if you want to keep this car long enough for your future kids to see in 18+ years.
$10-15,000 Budget, 400+hp, and yes i'm comfortable around my car. only thing is, no garage being that i live in a gated community and it is frowned upon to work on your own vehicle. I got almost every tool known to man and 'm limited when it comes to repair, sad to say.

·
WILDCARD!
1,462 Posts
$10-15,000 Budget, 400+hp, and yes i'm comfortable around my car. only thing is, no garage being that i live in a gated community and it is frowned upon to work on your own vehicle. I got almost every tool known to man and 'm limited when it comes to repair, sad to say.
So do you not have a garage or you have a garage but can't use it for car work because gated community rules? I don't see how they can police what people do in their garages with the door shut.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not sure the automatic transmission can handle 400hp, at least not last long enough for your future kids to see it. 300 hp seems more reasonable for what the automatic can handle before it blows up. The way I see it, you're just asking for headaches trying to achieve that amount of HP on an automatic. Plus if you can't do any serious work on your car at home, you might as well just pay a performance shop to do the work.

If you're serious about modding your auto rsx, first things first, you need KPro. If you can't tune your car, you can't really drive it when you put big mods on it.

If you're serious about keeping the car long term, keep it as it is and be happy for what it is.

If you want both reliability and 400+, sell the automatic, get yourself a Type-S, and look into going turbo.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Imho buying a type s isn’t the answer. This is coming from someone with a type s. The primary difference is the motor and trans which you can easily just swap out if you plan to heavily modify anyway, buying a base for cheap is the better option.

But putting together that you’re new, can’t work on your car, don’t have a garage, probably don’t have a legitimate daily driver to afford to take this car off the road for awhile etc etc... just leave it alone and save your money.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Imho buying a type s isn’t the answer. This is coming from someone with a type s. The primary difference is the motor and trans which you can easily just swap out if you plan to heavily modify anyway, buying a base for cheap is the better option.

But putting together that you’re new, can’t work on your car, don’t have a garage, probably don’t have a legitimate daily driver to afford to take this car off the road for awhile etc etc... just leave it alone and save your money.
Lmao, manual swaps are NOT simple plug and play on the RSX. For the amount of time and money you're going to spend swapping to a manual, you might as well sell the auto and buy a 5-speed base. Don't believe me?

See the link below.

If you can't find a Type-S, get a 5-speed base. Car insurance is cheaper on the base so you can save money there. If you want to stay all motor, get a JDM K24A motor for $800-1100, rebuild the bottom end and put a K20A2 head on it. Seeing that you have the budget for it and can't really work on your car at home, just take it to a performance shop.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Lmao, manual swaps are NOT simple plug and play on the RSX. For the amount of time and money you're going to spend swapping to a manual, you might as well sell the auto and buy a 5-speed base. Don't believe me?

See the link below.

If you can't find a Type-S, get a 5-speed base. Car insurance is cheaper on the base so you can save money there. If you want to stay all motor, get a JDM K24A motor for $800-1100, rebuild the bottom end and put a K20A2 head on it. Seeing that you have the budget for it and can't really work on your car at home, just take it to a performance shop.
Lmfao where tf is any of this plug and play? Mans wants to double if not triple his original power and you’re concerned that a manual swap will be too hard?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Lmfao where tf is any of this plug and play? Mans wants to double if not triple his original power and you’re concerned that a manual swap will be too hard?
Sure man, lets have him reach 400+ hp in the most difficult way possible. I'm sure he can work on his car at his house for days if not weeks, and his neighbors won't have any problems with it. Great advice, we should listen to you more. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sure man, lets have him reach 400+ hp in the most difficult way possible. I'm sure he can work on his car at his house for days if not weeks, and his neighbors won't have any problems with it. Great advice, we should listen to you more. :rolleyes:
LOL Sounds like you’re super familiar with HOAs, gated at that .

Ok so hypothetically, let’s do things the cheapest and easiest to make 400whp reliably. Since we’ve established what he has won’t cut it...sell it and buy a used coyote mustang or LS3 Camaro. Problem solved.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts