Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. I am looking around for a decent buffer/polisher.
About the $80-100 range.
Let me know if anyone has had any good/bad experiences
Thanks

· Premium Member
7,792 Posts
I've always been told a random orbital or dual head polisher is the secret to getting an even finish. A single circular head is a little mistake-prone for newer users.
Unfortunately, they cost more! and they aren't cordless :(
Porter-Cable is "the" polish namebrand. Their 7424 model is the closest thing to a standard detailers' polisher and it costs about $160. If you don't mind spending a little more, that's the one I'd recommend.

I don't know of any polishers in your price range. I've seen the little ones that cost between $30-$50; might as well save the money and just polish by hand since the cheap polishers aren't that great.
Then there is a big gap to the $150 and up ones. At that price, I don't think any of them are bad if you know what your doing.

I had a polisher for a while, but I kept getting scared that I was going to burn through my paint since I'm easily distracted and I like tend to daydream while I work :laughing:
I also find that hand waxing lets you catch bad spots easily and gets you a better finish. It just takes a hella long time!

Edit: Whoops, you're a fellow Canadian. $160 was USD... I guess that knocked the PC out of the ballpark! They are about $225 here. Hmmm... that just leaves the cheap ones. I dunno about recommending those; I would just hand wax. The little ones always get gummed up and don't really save much time in the end.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SIMONIZ?

I just bought the simoniz cordless 4" buffer last night. I haven't tried it yet since we've had rainy weather here lately.

I'll let you know how it goes. It is orbital and the mounting method for the bonnets is smart. They use velcro. Check it out at the canadian tire website. It was $89.99 CDN:thumbsup:

· Registered
1,243 Posts
4" - whew - you'll be at that for a while - hope the battery holds out

whats the rpm 's ?

i bought a WEN 10" random last fall, just cause i always wanted a machine for that - funny thing , i dont use it to apply or remove anything to the car . ..

i just use it with a wool pad to go over it once after i am done for the day - and have just sprayed and wiped off my gloss spray . . i think it looks shinier - but who knows . ..

at least its a machine i always wanted, and now have

this summer - a leaf blower for drying . . . more power argh argh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not too bad

It comes with 2 "5 hour" batteries and 7 bonnets (3 of which are sanders. The RPM's, I'm not sure of yet. The applicator (sponge) bonnet is about 6-7 inches and it stays on securely when spinning because of the velcro mounting.
The thing I prefer about it is that it's cordless and I can use it as a sander too. I looked at the WEN ones as well but they were the same price and much heavier and with a cord.

We'll see how it goes!

· Premium Member
7,792 Posts
I have a thing against Simoniz, so I can't speak for their products. I've just never had a good experience with any of their things.
Your polisher:
Cordless, it claims to be orbital, but it must have a really small orbit. 2900rpm (no speed control, Wen has 2 speeds). Seems good enough.

But 4" pads? Man... that's tiny. I didn't even realize they made bonnets that small. My only concern is that you'll have a limited selection of bonnets when you want to get more.

Well, I guess we'll see the results :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It ROCKS

I tried the buffer this weekend and it works great. I used the 7 inch applicator sponge and it didn't take too long. I know it would take less time with a bigger applicator but it works great none the less. The handle hardly shakes at all, too. Your hand isn't sore afterward.

I still removed the wax by hand though because it's faster and the buffer doesn't remove the wax like when you do it manually.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
check out coastal tools.com . they carry the porter cable 7424 for around $110.00. awesome buffer, widely regarded as the best. i own one and use it all the time.

you can also get the porter cable 7336 at lowes. it is exactly the same as the 7424 except it doesn't come with a foam buffing pad. you'll have to buy a velcro backing plate for it for around 18 bucks. you can then get velcro pads for about 9 bucks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Link didn't work

Sorry Dude. The link didn't work. It is blue and it looks kind of like a drill. My RSX is silver and you can still see a huge difference even though it's not a dark colour.

I also used it on my dad's 3.2 TL and it's dark green. You can see yourself in the hood now. It also help greatly that I used ZAINO Z2 show car polish...and no I have not been paid to say that. The clay bar rocks too from ZAINO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The link must be session based... Haven't closed all my windows yet, so it still works for me :p

Anyways, sounds like the one... (This should work)

How is it for buffing? I have some scratches that look like they can be buffed out...

· Registered
1,243 Posts
Re: The Link didn't work

marconaz said:
I also used it on my dad's 3.2 TL and it's dark green. You can see yourself in the hood now. It also help greatly that I used ZAINO Z2 show car polish...and no I have not been paid to say that. The clay bar rocks too from ZAINO
u used a machine to apply zaino ?

how much of the bottle did it take to do your car ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is something wrong with this?

I didn't use too much. I know I don't have to and it still shines.
Are you implying that it is a waste to do this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Homer2 said:
4" - whew - you'll be at that for a while - hope the battery holds out

whats the rpm 's ?

i bought a WEN 10" random last fall, just cause i always wanted a machine for that - funny thing , i dont use it to apply or remove anything to the car . ..

i just use it with a wool pad to go over it once after i am done for the day - and have just sprayed and wiped off my gloss spray . . i think it looks shinier - but who knows . ..

at least its a machine i always wanted, and now have

this summer - a leaf blower for drying . . . more power argh argh
I was planning on getting a buffer, but I found out my dad has a wen 10"... Its an older one, and it says 'Orbital' on the box. Nothing about random orbital... I kind of want to get my own, but it would be a lot cheaper just to borrow his... I have a couple scratches to buff out.

If I was to buy one, I would probably get that 4" cordless simoniz talked about in this thread... Any thoughts? (Again, main purpose being buffing out very minor scratches)

Thx :)

· whAAAAht's happennin'
208 Posts
Anybody want mine? It's in my garage somewhere. It's somewhere between 6-8" diameter. Beats me. Bought it at Costco back in the day. Now it's in the garage somewhere. Have no use for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.