Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
7,792 Posts
I've always been told a random orbital or dual head polisher is the secret to getting an even finish. A single circular head is a little mistake-prone for newer users.
Unfortunately, they cost more! and they aren't cordless :(
Porter-Cable is "the" polish namebrand. Their 7424 model is the closest thing to a standard detailers' polisher and it costs about $160. If you don't mind spending a little more, that's the one I'd recommend.

I don't know of any polishers in your price range. I've seen the little ones that cost between $30-$50; might as well save the money and just polish by hand since the cheap polishers aren't that great.
Then there is a big gap to the $150 and up ones. At that price, I don't think any of them are bad if you know what your doing.

I had a polisher for a while, but I kept getting scared that I was going to burn through my paint since I'm easily distracted and I like tend to daydream while I work :laughing:
I also find that hand waxing lets you catch bad spots easily and gets you a better finish. It just takes a hella long time!

Edit: Whoops, you're a fellow Canadian. $160 was USD... I guess that knocked the PC out of the ballpark! They are about $225 here. Hmmm... that just leaves the cheap ones. I dunno about recommending those; I would just hand wax. The little ones always get gummed up and don't really save much time in the end.

· Premium Member
7,792 Posts
I have a thing against Simoniz, so I can't speak for their products. I've just never had a good experience with any of their things.
Your polisher:
Cordless, it claims to be orbital, but it must have a really small orbit. 2900rpm (no speed control, Wen has 2 speeds). Seems good enough.

But 4" pads? Man... that's tiny. I didn't even realize they made bonnets that small. My only concern is that you'll have a limited selection of bonnets when you want to get more.

Well, I guess we'll see the results :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.