Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed a few turbo motors going down recently, most seem to be operator error. Any supercharged motors been blown yet? Im trying to decide between the 2, and being a noob to boosting, it seems like superchargers require alot less maintence and will be alot for friendly to people just starting out with boost. What do you guys think? Also, I have been reading alot lately about boost creep on turbo'd cars, I was just curious if this happens with superchargers as well?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Boost is regulated by many factors on a Turbo that lead to boost creep. A supercharger is controled by a pulley which never varies. It is easier to change the boost on a turbo, but doing so requires re-tuning. A supercharger boost upgrade comes with all you need to do it and is tuned once and you are done. As for less maintenance, bith require more attention to the engine and what's going on. I have a JRSC and love it, wouldn't trade it for the world. It all boils down to what you want boost for. I know I'll never have major power like a turbo can, but I have instant power. I am a road racer, I believe in turning my car more than just to get into staging lanes and exiting the track. Turbo cars will do better on a drag strip, but they better never see me on a road course.

I hope this helped a little.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have JRSC,I/H/E and Mugen ECU (because I didnt use that TFI box that came with the package) ran for 6 months now with no problem...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
can u change boost levels with a supercharger? such things as like a boost controller? is dis possiblE?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
To change boost level on a supercharger you need to change the size of the crank (?) pully or the pully on the supercharger. It's quite simple, really. Or at least, that is my understanding.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
James S said:
To change boost level on a supercharger you need to change the size of the crank (?) pully or the pully on the supercharger. It's quite simple, really. Or at least, that is my understanding.

damn that wouldve of been tight if u can change boost levels with a boost controller for a supercharger... lol

·
DC5 to AP2
2,421 Posts
wdsonny said:
I have been boosting since october and i have no problems. only problem is there is no upgrade for the jrsc.
There's no pre-packaged upgrade, but you can definitely push more than 5psi with those things.

·
6,734 Posts
Yes, you can. But, you risk the danger of maxing out the 440cc injectors and blowing your engine from running too lean. If you want to put the K24 crank pulley and new belt on your car with the JRSC race version and run it that is your deal. The current JRSC/Hondata reflash only has on fuel map for boost. You lean that one out and you can run the risk. But to each his own. I will wait for the "official upgrade" not the monster garage version.

·
Meow?
3,940 Posts
Supercharger isn't more reliable or easier on the engine than turbo (in fact, the opposite is often true), but a lot of people don't know the limits of their engine, their fuel system, or their tuning, and push the envelope with their turbo system. Superchargers tend to keep you honest.

Turbo is more engine friendly if you can just keep from tinkering. ;)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hey Type-S150, the same question I just recently ask Turbo or Supercharger and which one is easier day to day. What I went with is the Supercharger for low maintiance and no boost creep un-like the turbos. It took me along time to decied to go with boost, I was really worried what it would do to my stock motor how long would it last and the only answer I came up with is JRSC. The other question I ask myself was how much power do I want to make and still keep it as a everyday driver. When I looked at the JRSC it gave options Street version 211whp, the race version gave 256whp and all at only 5psi which is really cool. This allows me to upgrade later if I wanted to maybe 8/9psi and get close to 300whp on a stock motor. For me 300whp is a very nice number and for a car that weighs 2700lbs that should be very nice combination. The only thing with adding more power is that you have to look at other areas to upgrade suspension clutch/flywheel and maybe LSD it you want to get the most of all that power.

Just my two cents :)

·
Banned
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RiceRocket112 said:
Hey Type-S150, the same question I just recently ask Turbo or Supercharger and which one is easier day to day. What I went with is the Supercharger for low maintiance and no boost creep un-like the turbos. It took me along time to decied to go with boost, I was really worried what it would do to my stock motor how long would it last and the only answer I came up with is JRSC. The other question I ask myself was how much power do I want to make and still keep it as a everyday driver. When I looked at the JRSC it gave options Street version 211whp, the race version gave 256whp and all at only 5psi which is really cool. This allows me to upgrade later if I wanted to maybe 8/9psi and get close to 300whp on a stock motor. For me 300whp is a very nice number and for a car that weighs 2700lbs that should be very nice combination. The only thing with adding more power is that you have to look at other areas to upgrade suspension clutch/flywheel and maybe LSD it you want to get the most of all that power.

Just my two cents :)
I really appreciate your post. Good info :thumbsup:

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've been readind JRSC posts for about four months now while saving up money and i haven't noticed anyone with any major problems attributed to the JRSC. I'm fairly confident that's where my money is going....

·
6,734 Posts
I have redlined and hit the rev limiter in my car so many times I can't even count it. But the JR reflash by Hondata is very forgiving about hitting the limiter. It is not as abrupt as the regular flash. One reason you don't see the JR kits blowing engines is all the things that make turbo's the way they are. Boost creep, improper tuning, too much boost, user intervention, etc... The JRSC is set. There are not many options to increase the boost until they release the upgrade. Then you will have the confidence that it won't mess up anything.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts