Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I don't know you
16,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the noob of all noobs and am looking for a place to get my foot in the door as far as theory goes (why do we stick subwoofers in a box, differences in types of speakers, etc.)

my current setup - completely stock with a blitzsafe ipod adapter (i have a base, so it plugs into the stock h.u. aux input)

future setup: definitely change hte front speakers, probably the rears, most likely not the tweeters. amp to power them, a sub and an amp for that. want to keep stock h.u.

i KNOW i have much to learn and don't want to just buy components based on "this brand is good."

can someone point me in the right direction?

·
12 Volt Installer
970 Posts
thats the other one I was going to mention, but forgot the 1.

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
i definitely will, but i don't like to blindly jump into something and buy stuff because "i heard" it was the best, etc
Just remember, do your own research on product's it is good to ask for opinions, but you will have some Bias no matter who you talk to. I tend to push ED a lot but that is because it is great in terms of price to performance but i am not going to slam someone for buying JL either other than to say you could have gotten better performance for cheaper. Of course if someone is buying Crap like Audiobahn, Volfenhag,Dual, ect I will tell them they are buying crap :)

Overall it is up to you the direction you go and what you buy and if it works well and sounds good to you then that is all you need to worry about.

·
Knockin' Bitches Over
79,530 Posts
Just remember, do your own research on product's it is good to ask for opinions, but you will have some Bias no matter who you talk to. I tend to push ED a lot but that is because it is great in terms of price to performance but i am not going to slam someone for buying JL either other than to say you could have gotten better performance for cheaper. Of course if someone is buying Crap like Audiobahn, Volfenhag,Dual, ect I will tell them they are buying crap :)

Overall it is up to you the direction you go and what you buy and if it works well and sounds good to you then that is all you need to worry about.
amen brotha

·
I don't know you
16,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks a lot guys those links really got me up to speed in terms of the basics.

i have a couple questions:

1. Do i NEED an amp for the sub? i dont want or need huge bass, i just want it to EXIST (stock system in a base, NO bass). my roomate says it will sound like shit if i let the stock hu power the sub, but im not sure if i agree.

2. Can i run 1 amp to power both front and rear speakers?

·
I don't know you
16,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i wonder if i even need an amp at all? i dont particularly need the music too much louder,i am mostly looking for cleaner sound with teh capability to be slightly louder than it currently is. maybe nicer speakers can give me the slight extra volume i need? or does the problem lie with the stock hu's internal amp

·
12 Volt Installer
970 Posts
thanks a lot guys those links really got me up to speed in terms of the basics.

i have a couple questions:

1. Do i NEED an amp for the sub? i dont want or need huge bass, i just want it to EXIST (stock system in a base, NO bass). my roomate says it will sound like shit if i let the stock hu power the sub, but im not sure if i agree.

Yes, you absolutely need an amp to run a sub. The stock head unit, or any head unit for that matter does not have the power required to run a subwoofer. There should be no debating this. It doesn't have to be a monster amp, but you do need it.

2. Can i run 1 amp to power both front and rear speakers?

Yes, you can buy a 4 channel amp to run the front and rear speakers. There are even 5 channel amps available that will run the front and rear speakers plus a sub.
i wonder if i even need an amp at all? i dont particularly need the music too much louder,i am mostly looking for cleaner sound with teh capability to be slightly louder than it currently is. maybe nicer speakers can give me the slight extra volume i need? or does the problem lie with the stock hu's internal amp

You don't need an amplifier but it sure helps out in terms of cleaner & louder sound. New speakers won't make the system play louder, but they will make it sound better. I would recommend upgrading your factory headunit first...that will make a HUGE difference in the sound quality right away.
:thumbsup:

·
I don't know you
16,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks cross, but im pretty deadset on not replacing the hu. looks like ill go with a tiny amp for the sub and an amp for my speakers.

·
12 Volt Installer
970 Posts
That's cool, adding a sub and amp is going to make a HUGE difference even with the stock headunit. Are you going to replace the speakers too? Amplifying the stock speakers may not be the best idea since they have pretty limited power handling. If you do amplify them without changing them, just get a small amp...around 40 watts per channel should do it.

·
I don't know you
16,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's cool, adding a sub and amp is going to make a HUGE difference even with the stock headunit. Are you going to replace the speakers too? Amplifying the stock speakers may not be the best idea since they have pretty limited power handling. If you do amplify them without changing them, just get a small amp...around 40 watts per channel should do it.
yes i want to change all 4, but i don't think ill bother with the tweeters.

·
Registered
167 Posts
infinity/jbl make a nice 5 or 6 channel amp that could power all 4 speakers and a sub with ease.

as far as not wanting to change the tweeters, just get a component set and swap the woofers and tweeters, will be greatly improved sound

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
Actually with the right comps you can fit replacement tweeters into the stock grill, it just takes a little super glue to hold the tweets to the grill, look for comps with a 3/4 inch tweet if you wanted to go that route. I would be more concerned with changing them than the mids as the stock tweets are some of the muddiest I have ever heard. Now if you are using Coax's (or comps that have a coax mount option) in the door you would not need to worry about it as the tweet will be with the mid.

As for amps and power, an amp will not necessarily increase to overall output of the system as you need to effectively double your power to get a 3db increase in output, the bose system sends roughly 25 watts per speaker so going to a 50x4 amp is going to give a louder setup but it will also be cleaner as you will be using an amp that have no internal eqing done to it and if you are buying better equipment it is usually underrated powerwise so if the gains are properly set you will have better cone control of the speaker and not be clipping the output and introducing distortion which is a speakers biggest enemy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts