Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
RIP 2/4/2009
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title sez, wondering if there are any documented cases of a JR blower snapping the blower drive shaft as is happening in a number of Comptech blowers. Anybody?

·
no longer moderate
5,141 Posts
Oside Jimc said:
Like the title sez, wondering if there are any documented cases of a JR blower snapping the blower drive shaft as is happening in a number of Comptech blowers. Anybody?
Nope, Oscar Jackson's design was not only unique, it was tested & signed off on by & manufactured by magnuson.

... :spin:

·
Jurassic Member
4,023 Posts
Mine is still good even for a full drag raced abused model. :laughing:

To my mechanical knowledge one would have to put considerable strain on the shaft to break it. With that in mind may be been flaw in the alloy they use for the shaft or it could be a design flaw in the tensioner design.

I would think you would see bearing failure before shaft breakage! So it's probably a problem with the alloy.

·
no longer moderate
5,141 Posts
It is a small machine line in the shaft on the CTSC, that I understand may be the problem. It is right behind the pulley itself.
Anytime you have a week point there is room for a problem. That sucks for all who have had this happen. There is one guy (Seanwins :firemad: ) up here, that had it happen also, and he has returned his car to stock.

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
Given that companies like GM and Ford spend billions on a new car model, millions for its calibration alone, and then run millions of test miles before it is released, and then usually still have problems in the first model year, sometimes I am surprised we're not running into more glitches with our aftermarket parts, many of which are made in dozens or hundreds instead of millions.

·
no longer moderate
5,141 Posts
conradb212 said:
Given that companies like GM and Ford spend billions on a new car model, millions for its calibration alone, and then run millions of test miles before it is released, and then usually still have problems in the first model year, sometimes I am surprised we're not running into more glitches with our aftermarket parts, many of which are made in dozens or hundreds instead of millions.
:thumbsup: very true indeed!!!

·
RIP 2/4/2009
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mateo said:
It is a small machine line in the shaft on the CTSC, that I understand may be the problem.
And that is exactly where mine failed, I think it had to be a shaft design issue. The tensioner design prevents extreme tension, sonny runs his MUCH tighter than I do, and he has 30K+ miles, no broken shaft.

·
6,734 Posts
Actually, I have way more miles than 30K. Try close to 60K. Only problem I have had is valvetrain. Snapping cam drive sprockets and crank angle sensors. I will be back up and running soon. I am guessing that Edo's deal is going to fall through. Jim, I will back in SD this Sunday. Taking Monday off and Tuesday. Ordering the parts on Tuesday from Acura. Leave again on Thursday and back on Sunday. Taking Tuesday off and will be fixing the car. I may need the RH back by then, not sure. Let me know if you want to put my JRSC on your car! Not sure what all you would need to tweak, but you are more than welcome. I still have about 2-3 weeks of work to do.

·
Monsters of the Midway
15,107 Posts
wdsonny said:
Actually, I have way more miles than 30K. Try close to 60K. Only problem I have had is valvetrain. Snapping cam drive sprockets and crank angle sensors. I will be back up and running soon. I am guessing that Edo's deal is going to fall through. Jim, I will back in SD this Sunday. Taking Monday off and Tuesday. Ordering the parts on Tuesday from Acura. Leave again on Thursday and back on Sunday. Taking Tuesday off and will be fixing the car. I may need the RH back by then, not sure. Let me know if you want to put my JRSC on your car! Not sure what all you would need to tweak, but you are more than welcome. I still have about 2-3 weeks of work to do.
What do you think that was from?

·
RIP 2/4/2009
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's some close up pics of the failure.

you can see how it sheared off right where the groove is cut into the shaft, one interesting thing is the shiney band, CT puts 2 washers, 1 plastic, 1 metal behind the pulley.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
wdsonny said:
I am guessing that Edo's deal is going to fall through.
No way! You just need to be here. The car needs to be sorted out before we can proceed. I'm extremely busy and is very difficult to maintain forward progress for the various dev platforms, which is the priority in order to bring the entire k-series product lineup up to speed and available for public consumption.

-Ron

·
6,734 Posts
Well, like you, I have commitments that are unavoidable. I do hope it goes through, but in the meantime, I need to get the car back online and out of my friends garage. Do I need to take off the oil pan to release the oil pump chain tensioner. I really don't feel like pulling that down. Back to work. Hoping today we are done. I love Korean womenz!!

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
You should be able to get access to the oil pump chain tensioner. Whenever your car is restored to good working order again, we can resume testing. The turbo development block has a home in a recently acquired EG. For your setup, we can either replicate Oside's setup, or you can run a 2.2L variant based on the 2.0L block.

-Ron

1 - 20 of 47 Posts