Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Ok.
15,051 Posts
well i skipped planting my seeds, they are still in the packets i got them in. but hey, i will begin soon. :) any updates from anyone else?

·
Ok.
15,051 Posts
just bought seeding soil, got some starter cups, starting my little project. ill post my results. granted i am in florida, so we will see how mine go about :) ill get pics here soon of how im starting.

·
Ok.
15,051 Posts
ok, here goes. now, i am by far......do not have a green thumb. ive transplanted plants, uprooted etc, but never grown anything but a few sunflowers outside my window once....and some stupid seed in second grade. but ya, here goes my journey. if i make mistakes, o well, i have some more seeds.

im starting off with 1 pod of each of the peppers i bought. saw something like this online, decided to copy.

Left to Right: Bhut Jolokia (2 seeded pod), Tazmanian Habanero (2), Yellow Hungarian Hot Wax Pepper (3), Long Red Slim Pepper (3) and Bolivian Rainbow Pepper (3).

Bought some 10 dollar "heating" lamp thing at walmart. nothing special, just something to keep the seeds warm.

then covered it up to keep some humidity going. since florida's humidity levels arent exactly here yet.

·
Ok.
15,051 Posts
hmm...im thinking about germinating.......i think that step was skipped? or can the seeds germinate under the foil like that..? let me know. thanks.

well...actually i read a bit more, some people will germinate in soil, while others not. ill keep mine in soil and see how we do. heard it was a pain until they sprout, but they should sprout in about a week. so should i keep them under the light the whole time or every day put them in the florida sun then at night, bring it under the lamp. always keeping the soil moist.

·
Ok.
15,051 Posts
ok....so i decided to germinate my own way. this should be fine. i put water in the bag and moistened the soil a bit more and put the light directly on the cups to keep warm. although its already 79 in my house, this should put it to about 88 degrees.

also...did the whole cup in a cup strategy where water is in the bottom cup and cup with soil has a hole in it and just moisten the soil all up etc. i just added more water into the bag for extra humidity.

·
Ok.
15,051 Posts
ok thanks, ya, i put water in the bag before i put the cups in, i have water in the bottom of the cups and then i watered the soil after putting teh moist soil into the cups and planting the seeds in and the bags are all sealed. i check on it every so seldom since...im impatient lol, but ya, very wet in there and all over the baggies. so their is pleanty of water, i just wanted to get a thumbs up of what i was doing since i just sorta....thought of doing this myself instead of following directions.

like the whole "sit them in water" or "wrap in damp paper towel". i planted them first, cause...i didnt know what germinating was til i youtubed it and i go "OOOOOOHHHHHH...........oops........" so i figured this should work just as well and the seedlings will be more comfortable.

the first morning i checked on em, it didnt look like the water in the bag heated up too much to make it "humid" so i covered the light and the cups with tin foil to hold more heat in. id say it is about 88 degrees under there all day and night. i need a thing to tell me temp.

·
Ok.
15,051 Posts
does op = operatives? lol cause i only know it as overpowered (gamer)

and ya, i suppose i sorta do. if these 5 cups grow up succesfully, imma do another 5. since florida doesnt really have a "winter" i have a longer season then most.

·
cheeto dusted!
5,057 Posts
well if these dont get going soon, try the paper towel and water method while you're waiting for these if you got the space

·
Ok.
15,051 Posts
ok ya, its only been 2 days, i should start with the paper towel method now....but im guessing these will sprout by next wednesday....i hope at least.

some people are saying that the germinating can take like 14-40 days (paper towel method), im like wtf?

·
Ok.
15,051 Posts
i just checked on them and they soil is really moist. idk if that is just cause of the extra water i put in for the humidity or what, im hoping the seedlings will grow out of that and im hoping cause of the water, the seeds didnt go deepers into the soil than where i planted them. they were about perfectly the right 1/4-1/2 inch deep.

·
Ok.
15,051 Posts
it looks like some spores/mold spots are growing in some places. is this good? just tiny white furry spots. barely noticable unless you look hard.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts