Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that dreaded time. my OEM clutch is on its way out. :(
I want to upgrade to the Competition Clutch stage 1.5. Kseriesparts sells them packaged with either the light weight or ultra lightweight flywheel. Since its only like $20 difference I was thinking of getting the ultra lightweight. So my question is are there any disadvantages to the ultra lightweight? Any reason someone wouldn't like it or to stay away from it? My car is primarily a DD with just suspension work done. Thanks in advance for any help! :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
there are no disadvantages by upgrading the flywheel, i honestly would say to upgrade it it makes a huge difference when ur driving ur car, better reaction to me i would say.

·
Registered
479 Posts
No disadvantages? That's a personal opinion I think.

In general, lighter flywheel equals rpms climb and drop faster which leads to quicker response etc. So your rpms will drop off much faster during your shifts. I also believe it affects the momentum of your car. Then you can get into inertia, force, mass etc etc etc. Heard super/ultra lightweight flywheels can suck in stop and go traffic or traffic jams. Personally I'd go with a 12lb if/when I had to redo my clutch/flywheel. Not terribly light or heavy.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
all motor you'll be fine running a lightened flywheel, but for boost go with one that has some weight to it

·
YOSOLO Tuned.
1,504 Posts
The DC5 Type-R OEM Honda flywheel weights 11lbs. The Type-S RSX flywheel weighs 14lbs. As you can see the Type-R flywheel is 3lbs lighter, and if it affected driveability I doubt Honda would have included it into the Type-R. It will increase throttle response as the RPM's will rise slighty quicker. The downside is that most ultra light flywheels are aluminum and tend to wear quicker than OEM steel.

The driveability issues come with pairing ultra light flywheels (8lbs) with high torque capacity clutches (Stage3+) as it becomes harder to match RMP's unless your at WOT.

My opinion, there is no reason to back to stock flywheel and there is also no reason to go any lighter than 11lbs unless your planning to track.

·
vtaaaakk VTAK VTAK VTAK
810 Posts
Had the Exedy 8.5lb. You'll have to slip the clutch a lot more at higher revs to get the car moving -- this is a pain in traffic and in parking lots. Eventually got sick of it and went back to stock.

·
Meth Blow Speed = my life
7,078 Posts
Only major con that I came across with a lightweight flywheel is when you couple is with a harsh engagement style clutch (Competition Clutch Stage 4) you will get transmission chatter when trying to feather the clutch. VERY annoying when your car is a DD and trying to go through a drive through or stop and go traffic. This is the main reason I switched from the CC Stage 4 clutch...but either way...be warned that a lightweight flywheel (anything less than 11lbs) will probably result in a car the isn't much fun for a DD. Im assuming you are planning on using yours as a DD but if not...the "racing" improvements with a lightweight flywheel are very nice.

Enjoy.

·
Because STIGCAR
1,000 Posts
CC 1.5 clutch and lightweight flywheel is an awesome combo. I opted for the lightweight instead of the ultra-lightweight and have no regrets. Motor revs up quick and rev drop between shifts doesn't cause any harsh engagements.

IIRC I read on the CC website that the ultra-lightweight was designed with boost in mind where as the lightweight one is better for NA applications.

·
Registered
476 Posts
purchased a brand new dc5 type r flywheel, and clutch master fx100 clutch kit, i was told this is the best combo! dc5 type r flywheel, is a 1 piece chromolly steel, same as oem but just lighter!, and clutch master fx 100 they use the exedy stage 1, but they just modify the pressure plate to like 70% instead of 50% holding capacity! , just need to make time and find someone to install! shops wanting tooo much!

·
Registered
1 Posts
purchased a brand new dc5 type r flywheel, and clutch master fx100 clutch kit, i was told this is the best combo! dc5 type r flywheel, is a 1 piece chromolly steel, same as oem but just lighter!, and clutch master fx 100 they use the exedy stage 1, but they just modify the pressure plate to like 70% instead of 50% holding capacity! , just need to make time and find someone to install! shops wanting tooo much!
How did you like that combo? i was going to get that but I was told to go with excedy and there 9Ibs flywheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts